Time Management

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Default Time Management

One of the most difficult things for me as a new retiree is time management. When we were working, our work day had a defined start and end time. Everything always seemed to get done at work, around the house, personal paperwork, paying bills, e-mails, etc. Now that I am retired, it seems harder to stay organized and get everything done. I would love to hear your advice. How does everyone structure their day so that things get done efficiently. For example, how many time a day do you check your e-mail, when do you do your bill paying, do you have certain days for everything or do you just go with the flow. Villagers are some of the wisest people that I know, so I would love to hear from you!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Further proof that we need a club for Retirement Adjustment and Advice.....thanks for posting "Roll With It" very good question!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:42 PM

Retirement Adjustment and Advice….I like that idea. I'll be one of your first members!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Easy, have breakfast, take a nap after lunch take a nap, after dinner take a nap and go to bed. Perfect day
Old 12-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Gold member

One of the things I like best about retirement is the
freedom from the structure of work life, but that is just me!
When I worked a lot of things had to be done...
in retirement, especially in TV, pretty much nothing
really has to be done, or at a particular time!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Many of friends told me before they retired, they didn't know how they got everything done. Now that I am retired I feel the same way. I just retired 6 weeks ago and came directly to TV from up north. Now that I am here, I feel very much like "Roll with It". I feel a bit unproductive and one day seems to slide into the next without getting much accomplished. I'm looking to structure my days with more of a routine and I think I will feel better. Thanks for asking the question!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Structuring your life may be different if you’re single or married. I find many people belong to numerous clubs which means that one day a month there is a meeting that they attend. Many people belong to different golf groups and that accounts for same day per week, along usually with lunch.
I find after I spend roughly a month in TV I am ready to return to work with a structured day. So far I am not quite ready to just eat food, take a nap, watch TV.
Too active for such a lackluster lifestyle. I figure in a few years spending a month at a time I will slowly be able to fill my days with activities they come to replace the job that I love. But that’s just my lifestyle.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:50 PM

Thank you for your responses. When I was working, I was the most organized person. Now, I feel like a procrastinator. In business, I dealt with people on the phone all the time. Now, I don't even want to make the important calls that I have to make! I have to figure out a way to put a little more structure in my life. For me, this is the hardest part of retirement. Your responses are very encouraging to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Gold member

I keep my schedule on my iPhone and a paper copy on a daytimer monthly planner. Things that have no deadline are on a paper to-do list. Seems a lot like when I was working, but I do get things done.

However, my schedule does not have any down-time in it.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Sage

We’ve been here over 11 years now. When we first arrived, time was spent getting settled in, shopping, being around for deliveries and/or services we wanted/needed. Our whole street was filled with new Villagers so there were get togethers. Soon groups were established for golf, bowling, pickleball...and that kept our days just as filled as when we were working. Bills, well, so many offer automatic payments....so there are very few bills to be paid directly....and those I must pay, are done on the web through my bank. Doesn’t take but a few minutes each month.

Having the freedom to do what you want, when you want takes time to get use to. That free time will quickly be taken up with things you enjoy or activities you want to be involved with. Some volunteer with different organizations, some take part time jobs for various reasons, some spend time doing what they never could find time for....creating, crafting, teaching....you’ll get busy quickly. That first year was soooo busy.... Now we pick and choose exactly what we want to do. There are many homes on our street and all the neighbors arrived at approximately the same time...we were “family.” Now, years have passed, people have different hobbies, friends throughout the community and are involved with so many different things....BUT we still are “family” on our street...watching out for each other. Welcome to your new community and retirement.....you’re going to love both!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

I make a list 3 to 4 days in advance of the things I want to accomplish on those days. I make it so that I will not be able to do everything on the lists that way I never run out of things to do, I can't be idle I have worked too long and hard and am addicted to working even if it's just around the house now. I like doing things this way because when I get up the first thing I do is look at the list to see what I'm going to do all day. I get up early, around 6:30 walk the dog, come back, have coffee with my wife, eat breakfast, take a shower and by 8:00 I'm into my list. The days and weeks sure do go by fast though and that concerns me a little.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:20 PM

The problem I have with retirement is that since I retired I haven't had a day off.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

My iPhone keeps me organized.....I receive emails, texts, keep my calendar (as does my wife as we can see each others calendar). If I'm around the house I will check emails whenever the spirit moves. It is easier to deal with them on the computer than the phone for me. My organizing consists of golf days, shows at Savannah and Sharon, club meetings, dinners, visiting with neighbors and travel opportunities. I do my best to do nothing productive (did that when I was working). We pay 95% of bills online, get mail a couple times a week (if I'm driving that way) and my wife hasn't picked it up. I know some folks have trouble with adjusting since they base their self worth on working. I'm fortunate that isn't me.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. It is good to know that I am not the only one who has had a little trouble adjusting to a new retirement schedule. I really like the on line bill paying and think I will be doing more of that in the future. Retirement is a much bigger adjustment than I ever thought it would be. Not in The Villages yet, but hope to be there in the very near future. I have not met kinder people anywhere!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I had a Government job for 35 years. Being retired isn't much different.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, day, love, paying, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.