Time for a Room Reservation System?

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Default Time for a Room Reservation System?

In another thread (now closed) someone proposed a way to encourage more volunteers to lead classes to alleviate long wait times, over crowding, and frustrations of not being able to do activities - even after waiting in long lines.

Another way to handle this would be class reservation software. Here's a link to one that at first glance looks like a very good fit:
ACTIVE Network Software Powers....

So rather than showing up an hour early, waiting in line, and then being denied entry because a class/venue is full, people could reserve slots.

Would this be complicated? Yes (to some).
Would it be overkill? Maybe, for some classes/activities.
But it would also eliminate the need to show up an hour+ early and then be annoyed when you STILL can't get in to an activity.

The Rec Center staff could work with the volunteers to set up their classes & use with the system.

Perhaps when TV was smaller, this sort of formality & bureaucracy would be overkill. But with 100,000+ residents and growing, something beyond "show up, maybe you'll get in" seems in order.

Last edited by NatureBoy; 01-18-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
In another thread (now closed) someone proposed a way to encourage more volunteers to lead classes to alleviate long wait times, over crowding, and frustrations of not being able to do activities - even after waiting in long lines.

Another way to handle this would be class reservation software. Here's a link to one that at first glance looks like a very good fit:
ACTIVE Network Software Powers....

So rather than showing up an hour early, waiting in line, and then being denied entry because a class/venue is full, people could reserve slots.

Would this be complicated? Yes (to some).
Would it be overkill? Maybe, for some classes/activities.
But it would also eliminate the need to show up an hour+ early and then be annoyed when you STILL can't get in to an activity.

The Rec Center staff could work with the volunteers to set up their classes & use with the system.

Perhaps when TV was smaller, this sort of formality & bureaucracy would be overkill. But with 100,000+ residents and growing, something beyond "show up, maybe you'll get in" seems in order.
I think your suggestions have merit, BUT, first I think you need to come and visit to get a real "feel" for this place and see how well things really work. There are thousands of groups and few who have to wait.
It is very hard to understand how smoothly this place happens and how nice it is by reading a Forum on line.

You will realize that The Villages is not run by Villagers.

When you visit you should attend the class about the CDD and how this place works.

If you move here in years to come, perhaps you will be a volunteer with skills to share.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-18-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

I don't think that this system would work for The Villages for a number of reasons.

First of all Active Network assumes there is some kind of central activity management of the activities, like a town or something like the YMCA might have. Activities in The Villages are managed independently by each volunteer that runs that activity.

From the point of view of the volunteer who runs an activity Active Network (and many systems other like it) it is much more overhead than the current system. Active Network would require the volunteer access Active Network and check each person coming to the activity. If someone doesn't show up space in the room probably goes unused. The current system is much less overhead for the volunteer... open the door, when the room is full close the door... no training in how use the system, no network outages to deal with, no need for a computer or smart phone.

Volunteers are the key to all the activities we have here. I think a system like Active Network would frustrate a lot, probably most, of those volunteers to a point where they drop out of leading an activity.

The Active Network web site doesn't say much about cost but it appears to charge based on the number of transactions that take place in the system. That is they would having a charge each time someone signs up for an activity. This is similar to Open Table. My guess is that this system would be pretty expensive in the end.

Every volunteer would have to learn how to use Active Network. Not everyone who volunteers to lead an activity is computer literate. Also not all of the people going to activities are computer literate either. Some volunteers would have no problem with it but many would run into hiccups along the way that would frustrate them make the wonder why they ever volunteered to lead... especially compared to what they needed to do with the old open the door, close the door system.

The Active Network site says that their system will "Manage multiple facilities and hundreds of programs centrally." That's not even close to the scale needed to manage The Villages activities.

The Active Network is light on technical details on how well that can manage things when lots of the activities are over subscribed like they are in The Villages. An activity management system for The Villages activities should be models after the golf reservations system. It should give users priority level on using activities... the more activities they sing up for the lower their priority. That would give everyone a chance to take part. It would penalize someone who doesn't show up for an activity they signed up for by lowering their priority. It would have to allow someone to choose multiple activities knowing they would only get a reservation to one of them but would increase their priority when the do that. It would also have to provide phone access to the reservation system (like the golf reservation system does) so residents who don't use computers or are not comfortable with them will still have access.

In the end I don't see how a system like Active Network can even begin to compete with the simplicity of the current system from the point of view of the volunteer who leads an activity or work for Villagers who just are not comfortable using computers.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
First of all Active Network assumes there is some kind of central activity management of the activities, like a town or something like the YMCA might have. Activities in The Villages are managed independently by each volunteer that runs that activity.
Someone "above" the volunteer manages the room reservations. The weekly schedule lists activities at the various rec centers; that's not managed by each volunteer. There's a database tracking all that info.

Active Network was just thrown out as an example of the type of system involved. It may be a horrible product; I have no idea, I picked it out of a web search.

Quote:
Volunteers are the key to all the activities we have here. I think a system like Active Network would frustrate a lot, probably most, of those volunteers to a point where they drop out of leading an activity.
Agreed. Careful training of rec center staff to assist volunteers leading activities would be critical. Or, remove the volunteer leader's need to interact with the system - they show up, lead their thing & leave. Either rec center staff or "the system" handles the class reservations. I expect that at the Y and other places the instructors aren't involved with the details of room & class management.

Quote:
An activity management system for The Villages activities should be models after the golf reservations system.
Sounds good. Perhaps the priority system could be added to another piece of software.

Quote:
In the end I don't see how a system like Active Network can even begin to compete with the simplicity of the current system from the point of view of the volunteer who leads an activity
But what about the point of view of the people waiting around for an hour+? Who get blocked out of activities? Who develop bad attitudes, move away, tell their friends not to move to TV, etc. because activities are poorly managed? Golf clearly got popular & crowded enough that it needed a management system, room activities may have reached the same point.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the product mentioned and think through the problem.

Last edited by NatureBoy; 01-18-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think your suggestions have merit, BUT, first I think you need to come and visit to get a real "feel" for this place and see how well things really work.
We've been for a day visit - took the tours, talked to sales people, gathered materials. And know people who live there. We may do a Lifestyle visit this year.

Quote:
There are thousands of groups and few who have to wait.
Fair enough. If only a tiny fraction of activities have this problem, then it may not be worth the investment. As part of going down this path, a survey to discover how big a problem the residents feel it is would be smart.

Quote:
If you move here in years to come, perhaps you will be a volunteer with skills to share.
Perhaps so. And if I have to deal with turning away large numbers of people, or telling people to show up two hours early so they can get a seat, I'll feel very bad and frustrated.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think your suggestions have merit, BUT, first I think you need to come and visit to get a real "feel" for this place and see how well things really work. There are thousands of groups and few who have to wait.
It is very hard to understand how smoothly this place happens and how nice it is by reading a Forum on line.

You will realize that The Villages is not run by Villagers.

When you visit you should attend the class about the CDD and how this place works.

Setting pickleball aside (which is actually run by no one on site), the groups ARE run by Villagers. And the overcrowding on popular classes is real. I quit going to my favorite weights class because you had to show up an hour early. And I won't even think about going to things like Walk Away the Pounds or zumba in the high season because they're so crowded. Line dancers have told me the same thing about having to be an hour early to get a spot.

I think OP's idea has merit. It works for golf. There would have to be some way to account for no-shows, though, as in the golf system. Like a points system or something like three no-shows and you're out.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Setting pickleball aside (which is actually run by no one on site), the groups ARE run by Villagers. And the overcrowding on popular classes is real. I quit going to my favorite weights class because you had to show up an hour early. And I won't even think about going to things like Walk Away the Pounds or zumba in the high season because they're so crowded. Line dancers have told me the same thing about having to be an hour early to get a spot.

I think OP's idea has merit. It works for golf. There would have to be some way to account for no-shows, though, as in the golf system. Like a points system or something like three no-shows and you're out.
It may. I just think that before anyone offers suggestions about changing something here, they should live here first, and owning property helps me put more value on their suggestions.

I think all of the things Dan said are valid. I am so lucky that I don't like to exercise or want to woodwork, and for sure do not want to join the linedancers, so none of this affects me. Helene and I went early to Walk off the pounds at Odell some years ago, but only during January, February and March did we have to wait or go early.. Many people just walked outside when they were shut out.

We go to four groups a week and they all have lots of room.

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it. If it is a little bit less than perfect, have patience before you spend a lot of money.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I posted already on this subject:

The Zentangle Club leader has online class pre-registration. There is nothing in it that involves the Rec Center, it is all done through the club itself. And, if you are taking classes that are not full to capacity you don't need this service, but to the dozens of classes that are full to bursting this per-registration would be the answer to waiting in line.

I'll even give you the software they use:

Free online SignUp sheets, volunteer scheduling software , and volunteer management software. | SignUp.com

Hopefully, one or more of the leaders of the over full classes will see this post and check it out.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It’s really about the instructors, then the class. Even in high season there are many classes that have no problem with a packed class, or waiting inline.

I have no problem waiting in line for instructors, that I value their practice. Either in TV or at Lifetime Fitness that I belong also.

The rec centers are booked for many meetings plus classes. MVP is the only place that you don’t have to worry about a pottery class after a yoga class.

Like many here, I like to take up to four classes in the same day, off campus works best for for those who enjoy spending time at the gym. But then again I pay for a membership and will continue to do so.

Last edited by asianthree; 01-18-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

The pickleball play n drill at Rohan now uses SignUpGenius.com to manage the four groups that drill from 10AM to noon every Friday. Only a limited number are able to sign up for each group and it sends a conformation sign up and then a reminder before each Friday. So, this group is now using web based software to help manage overcrowding.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
the groups ARE run by Villagers. And the overcrowding on popular classes is real.

Please forgive me if I'm mixing or not mixing concepts correctly.

"Groups" or "clubs" are run by Villagers with approval of the district government rec department. See list here.

At the rec centers (and other facilities like pools) there are "activities" - things people show up to do - which are led by volunteers. The schedule for which is published weekly. See example here. On that sample page, at the La Hacienda RRC on Thursday at 10:30am is Yoga. This is something any Villager can just show up & take part in.

"Clubs" can also reserve a room and have a meeting or activity. (e.g. the Pennsylvania Club at 7pm on Tues) This would be an event for club members, and other Villagers may or may not be able to attend depending on the club's policy.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm talking about "activities" - things people show up at a place for. (The activity may be hosted by a club/group or it may just be a volunteer leading a class (e.g. Yoga)). It seems that there is a problem with people showing up for public activities and not being able to participate because the venue is full. The current solution is that people show up earlier & earlier to get in a queue; there's no way to know beforehand how many people will show up/try to get in.

Madelaine, noted that some clubs have implemented reservation systems for THEIR meetings/activities. Which I suppose is fine if the Club has reserved the room and has the authority to limit who can attend. And I guess any leader of any activity could implement such a sign up policy? (So a first-timer could show up for "Yoga" and be told they need to register?) Such an ad hoc approach is fine if the problem is limited, but turns into a nightmare if it's widespread. (e.g. For "Yoga" I use signup.com. For Tai Chi I add my name on a Google Doc. For Zumba I text msg the instructor. For "Water Volleyball" put my towel on a chair the night before. ...) And such an ad hoc approach doesn't give the district gov any visibility into how facilities are being used & what things are popular (which you may or may not like depending on how anti-authority you are, but I don't think many anti-authority people stay in TV).

It would be nice if the rec center staff would be proactive and notice that certain activities are full to overflowing and suggest to the leader a sign-up tool. IMHO, it'd be even better if TV had a standard one at the ready, and maybe have a priority system like golf.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post

Please forgive me if I'm mixing or not mixing concepts correctly.

"Groups" or "clubs" are run by Villagers with approval of the district government rec department. See list here.

At the rec centers (and other facilities like pools) there are "activities" - things people show up to do - which are led by volunteers. The schedule for which is published weekly. See example here. On that sample page, at the La Hacienda RRC on Thursday at 10:30am is Yoga. This is something any Villager can just show up & take part in.

"Clubs" can also reserve a room and have a meeting or activity. (e.g. the Pennsylvania Club at 7pm on Tues) This would be an event for club members, and other Villagers may or may not be able to attend depending on the club's policy.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm talking about "activities" - things people show up at a place for. (The activity may be hosted by a club/group or it may just be a volunteer leading a class (e.g. Yoga)). It seems that there is a problem with people showing up for public activities and not being able to participate because the venue is full. The current solution is that people show up earlier & earlier to get in a queue; there's no way to know beforehand how many people will show up/try to get in.

Madelaine, noted that some clubs have implemented reservation systems for THEIR meetings/activities. Which I suppose is fine if the Club has reserved the room and has the authority to limit who can attend. And I guess any leader of any activity could implement such a sign up policy? (So a first-timer could show up for "Yoga" and be told they need to register?) Such an ad hoc approach is fine if the problem is limited, but turns into a nightmare if it's widespread. (e.g. For "Yoga" I use signup.com. For Tai Chi I add my name on a Google Doc. For Zumba I text msg the instructor. For "Water Volleyball" put my towel on a chair the night before. ...) And such an ad hoc approach doesn't give the district gov any visibility into how facilities are being used & what things are popular (which you may or may not like depending on how anti-authority you are, but I don't think many anti-authority people stay in TV).

It would be nice if the rec center staff would be proactive and notice that certain activities are full to overflowing and suggest to the leader a sign-up tool. IMHO, it'd be even better if TV had a standard one at the ready, and maybe have a priority system like golf.
The instructors are volunteers and have no control of attendance for a class. The only way a sign up could happen is a private class being taught by paid instructors who would then have a say in who attends. Once you live here you learn the ebb and flow of classes and how you want to spend your time in what class.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
The instructors are volunteers and have no control of attendance for a class. The only way a sign up could happen is a private class being taught by paid instructors who would then have a say in who attends. Once you live here you learn the ebb and flow of classes and how you want to spend your time in what class.
This is not true of pickleball (see my above post) Now, Steve might wish that he was paid. Plus sign up for PB 101, 102, and 103

Has anyone used this site -> Home - Village Mixer

Looks interesting!

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The duplicate bridge club has an online sign up. Works beautifully, even allows people to reserve stationary tables when they have physical restrictions. If someone doesn’t show up by 15 minutes before game time, they lose the seat and someone on the waiting list gets the seat. Gives us great impetus to register online and be on time.

I don’t see why other groups/instructors don’t do the same. Would make life easier for all.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I disagree. There could be a universal sign-up system imposed by TV for all classes. TV can take control of anything they want.

Also, once you live here, you learn that there are some popular classes that are a hassle to participate in because they are overcrowded and it takes too much time out of your day to get there an hour early and stand in line. IMO

Tags
reservation, system, room, waiting, show

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.