Time for a Room Reservation System?

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It may. I just think that before anyone offers suggestions about changing something here, they should live here first, and owning property helps me put more value on their suggestions.
I agree. A one day visit is not enough time to determine if something is not working. Let alone providing a solution to something that may or may not be broken. Don’t mean to be critical of a future Villager, but welcome to the club of public opinion.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I agree. A one day visit is not enough time to determine if something is not working. Let alone providing a solution to something that may or may not be broken. Don’t mean to be critical of a future Villager, but welcome to the club of public opinion.
However, it has struck a note with some of us who have lived here for a while. There is room for improvement.

Last edited by CFrance; 01-18-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I love the idea of a reservation system for the popular "classes"/"clubs", etc. I don't want to get to a Rec. Center an hour before an exercise class. I think the golf reservation system is excellent. I'd love to see the same system implemented for popular activities.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

Has anyone used this site -> Home - Village Mixer

Looks interesting!
I don't like signing up for anything until I can first see/access it (as they are obviously mining for a mailing list which is fine if I wanted to participate). They need to have a "guest" login so one can peruse the sight before putting in information.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I disagree. There could be a universal sign-up system imposed by TV for all classes. TV can take control of anything they want.

Also, once you live here, you learn that there are some popular classes that are a hassle to participate in because they are overcrowded and it takes too much time out of your day to get there an hour early and stand in line. IMO
I do live here, and don’t find the system that bad, just think if they did go to a online signup, it’s who has a faster finger, or like me who sleeps 4 hours a day would be in the system at any time.

You may find that those that are dedicated will stand in line no matter what. And online sign-up is less of a commitment if you forget or just don’t feel like showing up. It’s the reason why many large facilities still use the get in line system to work out.

I do agree when coming or going from a class I pass the line dancing class that class is out of control, with people. Water classes here are a big draw due to low impact, and do create a line, but only more classes would help with the big draw classes

We do belong to multiple clubs in TV, three of which you must sign of for the meeting and get a ticket. On any given meeting there are more no shows than you would think, keeping out those who didn’t sign up minute one. But no matter how much one hopes for a system change it’s those in charge who can make the difference, it has not changed since 07.

Last edited by asianthree; 01-19-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I disagree. There could be a universal sign-up system imposed by TV for all classes. TV can take control of anything they want.

You have said this about saving seats at the squares. That "TV" can take control of anything if it wants to. The private business which is The Entertainment Department chooses not to. It would add to the cost to hire someone to throw everyone's seat savers in a pile and the Merchants on the square may not want to pay for it. If you tell people not to save seats and they do, by what authority do you stop them? You cannot call the police, it isn't a law.

The people paid to be in charge of the recreation centers do not involve themselves in the individual groups, clubs or classes. The rec center person sometimes organizes activities such as bingo, and that is first come first served and can and must be signed up for ahead of time.

Is there a charge for walk off the pounds, Yoga, pickleball, tennis? There is a charge of eight dollars a month for the online golf system. None if you call in.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I don't like signing up for anything until I can first see/access it (as they are obviously mining for a mailing list which is fine if I wanted to participate). They need to have a "guest" login so one can peruse the sight before putting in information.

That is always a consideration about one’s privacy. As the Slide over Lymphoma group is using VillageMixer to promote an event Friday, Feb 1 at the polo field with Scooter, I thought it might be a site that could help other Villagers do things here in the Villages.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-19-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I do live here, and don’t find the system that bad, just think if they did go to a online signup, it’s who has a faster finger, or like me who sleeps 4 hours a day would be in the system at any time.

You may find that those that are dedicated will stand in line no matter what. And online sign-up is less of a commitment if you forget or just don’t feel like showing up. It’s the reason why many large facilities still use the get in line system to work out.

I do agree when coming or going from a class I pass the line dancing class that class is out of control, with people. Water classes here are a big draw due to low impact, and do create a line, but only more classes would help with the big draw classes

We do belong to multiple clubs in TV, three of which you must sign of for the meeting and get a ticket. On any given meeting there are more no shows than you would think, keeping out those who didn’t sign up minute one. But no matter how much one hopes for a system change it’s those in charge who can make the difference, it has not changed since 07.
Some people don't like to stand in line at all to buy groceries; some people don't like to stand in line for an hour to attend a class. I imagine a reservation system would be welcomed by many. But who knows. At our stage of life many people do not embrace change.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Regarding Zoomba classes.
A few years ago my daughter and a couple of friends could not get into a very popular local class back home.
Daughter found most of the dances(?) were on Youtube.
Now she and her mates exercise together at her home with the routines on the tv.
Just another thought.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Some people don't like to stand in line at all to buy groceries; some people don't like to stand in line for an hour to attend a class. I imagine a reservation system would be welcomed by many. But who knows.

At our stage of life many people do not embrace change.
THAT'S for sure.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

You know, it is really quite simple. If the leader of a class finds she is filling up to the room's designated capacity, she or a helper (and there are many) could address the group and tell them she is setting up a site to sign in on line. I know I appreciated it when Zentangle did it and I am sure many people would appreciate knowing before they got to the class whether they were going to get in.

I used to dance three times a week for exercise, now the stress of just getting into a class makes it uninviting for me. I am one of those who does not like to stand in line.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-20-2019, 05:44 PM

I think this has been a good discussion. Clearly over-crowded activities have affected some people, even to the point of making them stop doing activities they once enjoyed. Some activity leaders are taking initiative & implementing various sign up systems. But not all, and there's no "official" means of doing so - besides the golf reservation system which people find a good model.

No one on this forum has the power to implement any changes. But, if you'd like to see TV provide a Villages-wide sign-up system, feel free to leave a comment on the VCDD feedback form.

Also relevant: VCDD Resident Lifestyle Peak Participation Program. This is where the current "get in line" system is defined formally.

I hope to join you all soon.

Last edited by NatureBoy; 01-20-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
reservation, system, room, waiting, show

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.