Tip question

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-11-2019, 02:52 PM
lovinganimals's Avatar
lovinganimals lovinganimals is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CT, Village of Hadley
Posts: 279
Thanks: 23
Thanked 56 Times in 16 Posts
Default Tip question

If I use a mobile groomer, which as many of you know, charge about $15 more for a dog than a regular groomer, and the person grooming owns the business, do I still tip also? I know years ago for hairdressers you didnt tip if it was the owner, but my sister who is a hairdresser said that no longer applies so I was wondering about dog grooming and tipping.
  #2  
Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM
JSR22's Avatar
JSR22 JSR22 is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,406
Thanks: 607
Thanked 1,222 Times in 423 Posts
Default

I tip the mobile groomer.
  #3  
Old 12-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 839
Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default

I never actually tip cash to the owner of any business, but a nice bottle of booze, perfume, whatever, never went amiss.
  #4  
Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10,393
Thanks: 3,250
Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,505 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
If I use a mobile groomer, which as many of you know, charge about $15 more for a dog than a regular groomer, and the person grooming owns the business, do I still tip also? I know years ago for hairdressers you didnt tip if it was the owner, but my sister who is a hairdresser said that no longer applies so I was wondering about dog grooming and tipping.
The extra $15 is probably to help with the cost of Insurance, Truck Payment, Maintenance, Gas, Travel Time and convenience to their customers. For me personally, it worked out a whole lot better to have the Groomer come to the house and pay the extra and tip the nice lady because I watched her handle our boy just like either of us would or better. I would tip. Just give what you feel is correct. Nobody can tell you how much is correct for you. We gave between $10 & $20 extra. He was a big dog, around 95 lbs.

Not tipping the owner is Old School. I asked this question of my oldest son and he said BLTW. Everybody started laughing except me because I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. It meant Break Loose Tight Wad. I was only a question I take care of those who take care of me properly. Never a show-off.
  #5  
Old 12-11-2019, 06:36 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,923
Thanks: 168
Thanked 730 Times in 241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I never actually tip cash to the owner of any business, but a nice bottle of booze, perfume, whatever, never went amiss.
This brings to mind all the people who think it's not appropriate to tip a mail carrier, trash pick up, or paper delivery person in cash. They think cookies, brownies, etc. are fine. Our Village has over 1200 homes. What would anyone do with 1200 boxes of cookies or brownies??? Yet alone that much booze.
  #6  
Old 12-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Two Bills Two Bills is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,091
Thanks: 839
Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
This brings to mind all the people who think it's not appropriate to tip a mail carrier, trash pick up, or paper delivery person in cash. They think cookies, brownies, etc. are fine. Our Village has over 1200 homes. What would anyone do with 1200 boxes of cookies or brownies??? Yet alone that much booze.

If you bothered to read my post, I said 'business owners.'
Staff, waiters, mail people, bin men etc. are not the subject in question!
How many business ownere do you deal with!
  #7  
Old 12-11-2019, 07:07 PM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,923
Thanks: 168
Thanked 730 Times in 241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If you bothered to read my post, I said 'business owners.'
Staff, waiters, mail people, bin men etc. are not the subject in question!
How many business ownere do you deal with!
...

Last edited by bagboy; 12-11-2019 at 07:40 PM.
  #8  
Old 12-11-2019, 08:38 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 14,148
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,412 Times in 621 Posts
Default

We had a mobile groomer, Grooms 2 Go. Business owner. He is very hard working. I always tipped him. He actually was less expensive than any other groomer we took our golden to.

When we took in a 15-yr-old abandoned foster golden, the dog hadn't been groomed in ages. He was full to the brim with hair. The mobile groomer (I wish I could remember his name) picked the poor thing up (he could barely walk due to untreated arthritis), carried him to the truck, blew the excess hair out with a blow dryer, and gave him a bath, carried him back to the house. $60. Later he told me he drove to an empty field and blew all the hair out of his grooming truck.

I loved that guy. We used him for both goldens for a long time. This owner deserved his tips, and his Christmas tip as well.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #9  
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Rosebud2020 Rosebud2020 is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 67
Thanks: 58
Thanked 78 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I hear it all the time about how cheap Villagers are.
I don't care what the service is, when you receive good service, tip appropriately!
  #10  
Old 12-12-2019, 05:37 AM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 40,003
Thanks: 4,677
Thanked 5,374 Times in 1,852 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We had a mobile groomer, Grooms 2 Go. Business owner. He is very hard working. I always tipped him. He actually was less expensive than any other groomer we took our golden to.

When we took in a 15-yr-old abandoned foster golden, the dog hadn't been groomed in ages. He was full to the brim with hair. The mobile groomer (I wish I could remember his name) picked the poor thing up (he could barely walk due to untreated arthritis), carried him to the truck, blew the excess hair out with a blow dryer, and gave him a bath, carried him back to the house. $60. Later he told me he drove to an empty field and blew all the hair out of his grooming truck.

I loved that guy. We used him for both goldens for a long time. This owner deserved his tips, and his Christmas tip as well.
Do you still have that Golden? Does Crosby like him? Pictures please.
  #11  
Old 12-12-2019, 08:42 AM
timcarnicom timcarnicom is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Always tip for service. I don't know why it would make any difference if it was the owner or not.
  #12  
Old 12-12-2019, 10:26 AM
lovinganimals's Avatar
lovinganimals lovinganimals is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CT, Village of Hadley
Posts: 279
Thanks: 23
Thanked 56 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Thank you everyone. I was not meaning to be cheap. I was just wondering. I tip very generously, sometimes 40% when I have my hair done. I was just wondering about protocol. Merry Christmas!
  #13  
Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM
aallbrand aallbrand is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Default timing dog grommer

I always tip regardless of if its the owner or not. The cost of doing business as a small business is so hi that tips can make a big difference . As long as you can afford it please tip.
  #14  
Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM
babiaszc babiaszc is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I tip all service providers.
  #15  
Old 12-12-2019, 12:46 PM
jlstree jlstree is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: We live in Conroe, Tx, 30 miles north of Houston, Tx.
Posts: 10
Thanks: 110
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, of course. I always tip service providers.

Last edited by jlstree; 12-12-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
tip, grooming, dog, groomer, owner

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.