Tipping floor installers

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2020, 01:24 PM
Talking Tipping floor installers

Is there a rule of thumb for tipping floor installers? We are having 1200 square feet of laminate installed by 3 guys.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

One Response: I have never tipped a floor installer.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
Is there a rule of thumb for tipping floor installers? We are having 1200 square feet of laminate installed by 3 guys.
I tipped our two installers $20 each. They spent a day and a half installing laminate in my home. $20 is a not a lot, but they worked hard, did a great job, and if nothing else, covered there lunch for a few days.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" and there shouldn't be one. Any tipping you do should be based on what you feel is warranted.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" and there shouldn't be one. Any tipping you do should be based on what you feel is warranted.
Common sense wins again.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:38 PM
Platinum member

Nada. I don't tip my dentist, car mechanic, eye doctor, insurance agent, or bank teller either.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:51 PM

I was in business for myself (with as many as 50 employees at my peak). I think there are too many companies that allow their employees to have their hand out. Tipping servers in restaurants is one thing, tipping people for doing their job is another is another (included fast food-movers-gardeners- etc). No one ever tipped me for doing my job when I was an employee AND I DIDN'T EXPECT IT.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Since many that provide services are way down the food chain, and since I have been blessed with the ability to share, if the person does an exceptional job or provides a service not expected, I will tip. Many of these folks are struggling while their supervisors and business owners, who have the ability to help, don't. The amounts aren't significant, $20 - $25 usually, but it sends a message that they are appreciated.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Nada. I don't tip my dentist, car mechanic, eye doctor, insurance agent, or bank teller either.
Always thought it was strange to tip a taxi driver but not an airline pilot who is responsible for 200 lives.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Since many that provide services are way down the food chain, and since I have been blessed with the ability to share, if the person does an exceptional job or provides a service not expected, I will tip. Many of these folks are struggling while their supervisors and business owners, who have the ability to help, don't. The amounts aren't significant, $20 - $25 usually, but it sends a message that they are appreciated.
I agree...same here.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

I have no idea what they pay tradesman in Florida, but from what I have read on this forum, minimum wage, or less seems to to be the rule for most employees, so maybe a few extra $$ may help.
The minimum wage seems to be the problem that should be addressed, not how much to tip them!
JMO.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have no idea what they pay tradesman in Florida, but from what I have read on this forum, minimum wage, or less seems to to be the rule for most employees, so maybe a few extra $$ may help.
The minimum wage seems to be the problem that should be addressed, not how much to tip them!
JMO.
My thoughts as well. Thanks for the input.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I have tipped the spa maintenance person when they went above what I expected. In general I have not tipped people hired to do specific jobs, like painting, plumbing, or electrical work.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
JMO.
You would be surprised what many of them make. For a real "tradesman" such as a floor installer, cabinet installer, plumber, etc they will make a minimum of around $18/hour and many will make closer to $35/hour. Some make even more.

A lot of these "tradesmen" are subcontractors who get paid by the job. I recently had some flooring installed and, based on what I know of the cost of materials plus overhead and profit for the company, I figure that the two installers (who were subcontractors) probably made about $35 to $40/hour EACH.

Two years ago I had my block house exterior painted. I shopped around and talked with several neighbors and friends and hired the painter who was supposed to be the best and the cheapest. He worked by himself and furnished his own brushes, rollers, and tape but I paid for the paint. At the end of the job, I paid him the agreed to price, and it figured out to almost exactly $40/hour for his total time on the job. I kept close track of his time each day. Some days he wouldn't show up until noon. Always had a good excuse why he wasn't there earlier. Next time, I'll paint it myself and pocket the $40/hour for myself.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 AM
Default Not Expected

I own a retail floor covering store in Massachusetts. Tipping is not expected. That said on the rare instances our Well Paid (among the highest paid in our organization) crews do receive a tip you’d think they had just won the lottery. If a client gives them say $20 each....they are so happy. It’s not the money. It’s knowing that the client Appreciated what they had done...especially if the work is especially intricate or the materials especially heavy to work with. If our installers receive even a modest tip they tell the Whole store about it.
I’d say tip only if you feel you received exceptional service. (Though even then it is not necessary)
(From a floor store owner)

Last edited by Vickshaw1; 01-22-2020 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Closed Thread

Tags
tipping, installers, floor, laminate, square

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.