Tipping the newspaper carrier

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Sage
Default Tipping the newspaper carrier

In today's newspaper there's a Christmas greeting from my newspaper carrier that includes his name and address. Does this mean a Christmas tip is in order? I usually give a small tip when I renew my subscription but wouldn't mind tipping again.

He lives on my street and always puts the newspaper close to the garage door. After he parks his truck in his driveway, he walks back and puts all the newspapers near the garage doors, as a neighborly gesture (for all of his close neighbors).

Should I keep the tipping to once a year with the subscription renewal or should I tip again at Christmas? How much is a normal tip for the year?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Eternal Member

If you tip with the subscription you are in the clear. I forego that and send him a check for $20 at Christmas time. That way he knows I care.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
If you tip with the subscription you are in the clear. I forego that and send him a check for $20 at Christmas time. That way he knows I care.
Well said, and I fully agree.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Lightbulb Tipping the newpaper guy/gals

Fourty six years ago I started delivering papers on a bike. I had to collect for the newpapers bi-weekly. People would tip me a DOLLAR on a bi-weekly basis because I would put there newspaper on their pouch. Cost for rubber bands came out of my pocket. They didn't have plactic bags and time limits as to when the newspaper had to be delivered back then. If it was pouring down rain my father would help me and we would deliver the papers by car. Here is my point! Do you enjoy the newpaper? Is your newpaprer dry and out of the weather? Is it there in a timely manner? Isn't it convenient to walk out and get your newpaper? These guys/gals are delivering newspspapers in there cars. Just think of the gasoline they are burning weekly. At a minimum give carrier a DOLLAR a WEEK TIP for the whole year! Come on folks, lets get in the twenty-first century. You problably tip the pizza man more than the newpaper guy/gal, and there bringing you cold pizza.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 PM

Well stated. From an ex-newpaper boy as a teenager. And you're right on with the pizza delivery person tips. Not to mention the furniture delivery guys that take 10-15 minutes to bring in stuff and you tip them $5-$10 each.

Have you gotten the nice card and candy cane in your mail box yet? I guess they're contractors for the USPS, and can keep tips unlike their conterparts that work directly for USPS
Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Sage
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies, they were all good. However, I'm going to take the advice of zcaveman. $20.00 at Christmastime sounds like a nice way to show one's appreciation.

By the way, when I was a kid, I used to help a neighborhood kid with his paper route. Each day, when we were finished delivering the papers, he would give me a quarter. Needless to say, I didn't keep it up for very long because I just didn't think it was worth it. I did half the work and only got a small percentage of the profit/income.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.