Tipping surprise!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Not everybody wants to be a doctor. I know many very intelligent women who waitressed as some point in their lives for one reason or another.
I do too. We are not all born equal, but we are all born valuable.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Another tipping thread? Give me a break. Restaurant owners are laughing all the way to the bank. Why don't they just pay an honest wage? Because, they have convinced their customers that the customer should pay the employees' wages. Restaurant servers should be grateful for whatever tips their customers choose to provide. It's a volunteer payment, and, if the servers don't like it, they should get a better job.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
In my unscientific survey of bartenders and servers during the 11 years I have been here , Villagers in general are bad tippers.
I agree from several years of observation here and speaking with the wait staff .

I often wonder just how much the " lite-tippers" save on an annual basis . Perhaps on average $100 to $150 per year ?

Wonder what they do with all of that extra cash ?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We went to iHop for breakfast after golf yesterday....as we do almost every week.

On our table was the iHop copy of bill for previous customer.

When looking to see what it was I was shocked. A $42 total check......with a $2 tip. I could not believe my eyes. It surely was not for bad service as the waitress for the table is one we have had quite often. Excellent waitress.....maybe it is because she knows she gets a 20%+ from us, regularly.

I have heard a lot about the select group of lousy tippers in TV. My first real observation of the fact.

Now I understand the joke....do you know the difference between a villager and a canoe? Canoes tip!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Shame on the tight a$$e$ here!!
Totally agree!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
OP stated the facts clearly. Plain old cheap. If you want to see poor tipping in high speed check out the number of cheapskate while standing in line at one of the drink kiosks at the squares.
Yep.

It's kinda funny (funny-sad), that every time one of these tipping threads come up you can usually tell by the posts those who are probably "cheapskates"...by how defensive they get.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Not everybody wants to be a doctor. I know many very intelligent women who waitressed as some point in their lives for one reason or another.
Yep...I married one.

Two masters degrees and no student loans...by serving and bartending through school.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Those kiosk servers aren't table waitresses running 5 plates of food and drink to 10 tables and aren't being paid $5 hr. While a tip might be a nice thing it's totally unnecessary. They are no different than the folks at Wendy's or McDonald's who work just as hard or probably harder. Do you tip them? Sorry, that's "apples and oranges." Should I tip them for squirting a hose with diet Coke or beer into a cup and handing it to me? If so why not tip the kids who work at McD or Wendy's? It's a nice thing to tip the kiosk servers your loose change but the amount shouldn't matter.
I can hear Steve Buscemi as My Pink in Reservoir Dogs during the tipping scene.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Another tipping thread? Give me a break. Restaurant owners are laughing all the way to the bank. Why don't they just pay an honest wage? Because, they have convinced their customers that the customer should pay the employees' wages. Restaurant servers should be grateful for whatever tips their customers choose to provide. It's a volunteer payment, and, if the servers don't like it, they should get a better job.
That sounds so unrealistic and so mean on so many levels. I was gifted with two daughters with widely different abilities and skills. More extreme differences in abilities and skills than most people's children. It taught me so much about life in general. It just isn't a matter of cognitive ability or working hard in this life.

No matter how hard I tried, or how long I studied and practiced, I could NEVER be an Olympic skater.

Everyone should be honored for the work they do. There are those who cannot work and we, the rest of society pay taxes to see that they receive an income. There are those who scam that system. There are those who work at McDonalds all of their lives, not because they aspire to do so, but because that is the work they can do.

It is a fallacy to say that if all servers don't like it, they can find a better job. What IS a better job? Who says it is a better job? There are many of us who have had jobs like bartenders and servers in our lives. It is honest, decent work and it supports the lives of loved family.

Because at this time, servers are in a system that relies on tips, pay them a tip that you think your own granddaughter would deserve. And look at them in their eyes and thank them. They are working hard and they haven't chosen to be drug dealers that would make a LOT more MONEY,
Looking down on anyone is just plain not kind or nice.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That sounds so unrealistic and so mean on so many levels. I was gifted with two daughters with widely different abilities and skills. More extreme differences in abilities and skills than most people's children. It taught me so much about life in general. It just isn't a matter of cognitive ability or working hard in this life.

No matter how hard I tried, or how long I studied and practiced, I could NEVER be an Olympic skater.

Everyone should be honored for the work they do. There are those who cannot work and we, the rest of society pay taxes to see that they receive an income. There are those who scam that system. There are those who work at McDonalds all of their lives, not because they aspire to do so, but because that is the work they can do.

It is a fallacy to say that if all servers don't like it, they can find a better job. What IS a better job? Who says it is a better job? There are many of us who have had jobs like bartenders and servers in our lives. It is honest, decent work and it supports the lives of loved family.

Because at this time, servers are in a system that relies on tips, pay them a tip that you think your own granddaughter would deserve. And look at them in their eyes and thank them. They are working hard and they haven't chosen to be drug dealers that would make a LOT more MONEY,
Well said.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our youngest arrives next week. His masters degree was paid for by bartending. He manages 3 bar/ restaurants. The bar staff income is close to 6 figures. If the wait staff is excellent I have seen him tip 40%. This is his first visit, I am waiting to see what he thinks about TV restaurants, and wait staff here.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I disagree. What is "mean" is this thread that wants to criticize someone who leaves a tip that the OP thinks is not as much as it should be. A tip is a voluntary payment to the server based on the customer's opinion of the value of the service provided. That is the nature of the job the server has taken. No one has the right to dictate what the tip should be, except the customer. And, yes, if the server doesn't like the income the job provides, than they should find another job. Some people seem to want to shame, intimidate and dictate to people, and tell them how much "voluntary" tipping they should do. Tipping is not a mandatory charge.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Gold member

Personally I think the OP was a bit out of line posting about a copy of a check another person(s)
had left behind without knowing all the facts!
I believe most people tip what they feel is fair, and don’t have a need to impress others.
Someone posted that they could by their comments tell the cheap tippers.. .I don’t know about that
I do think threads like this give a forum to the braggarts.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Just remember folks that servers have families and everyone likes to eat and pay their bills.

JUST SAYING.............

BTW - A man once said, "I like to pay my bills with a smile but unfortunately, they want money. LOL

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I can hear Steve Buscemi as My Pink in Reservoir Dogs during the tipping scene.
Yep.

The longer the thread gets, the more Buscemi's voice rings in my ears too.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

Tipping is as much a personal choice as is the decision to be a judgy-pants.
Closed Thread

Tags
waitress, table, tip, ihop, select

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.