Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Tire pressure gauge (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tire-pressure-gauge-318447/)

Mulliganguy 04-09-2021 08:35 AM

Tire pressure

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scbang (Post 1927854)
Hi, does golf cart tire use the same gauge as cars? Just ordered a pair from Amazon and it says my cart is only 12 psi ( way too low ) whereas my SUV is 40 ( seems right ).
Just by looking, my cart does not look under inflated. Any thoughts? Should it be around 20 psi?

Tire pressure varies with wheel/tire size. My cart has 13” wheels and tire pressure is in the 29 to 31 psi. I recently ordered a inexpensive solar powered tire pressure monitoring system on eBay. That way I know when to add air.

MrFlorida 04-09-2021 08:39 AM

Do not check your tires in the hot sun, it will be much higher than a normal reading. Check your tires in the shade when they are cool.

Diverdave 04-09-2021 09:08 AM

Golf cart tire pressure

Quote:

Hi, does golf cart tire use the same gauge as cars? Just ordered a pair from Amazon and it says my cart is only 12 psi ( way too low ) whereas my SUV is 40 ( seems right ).
Just by looking, my cart does not look under inflated. Any thoughts? Should it be around 20 psi?

Golf cart tires are a much softer rubber compound than car tires. They need this because unlike a car where there us a sophisticated suspension most carts have no / minimal suspension. This means that the flexing of the tire is responsible for a significant portion of the ride quality.

The wide profile of the tire allows a fairly low pressure to still support the weight of the cart with only 20 to 24 PSI which gives a reasonably smooth ride.

propjob 04-09-2021 09:17 AM

Experienced the same problem. Valve core was clogged. Swapped it out with a new one and PSI checked out fine. You can get the valve cores and the small tool to change them out at any auto parts store. Enjoy!!

Dimagolfer 04-09-2021 09:46 AM

24#-25#, is correct tire pressure!

erhrph 04-09-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswirs (Post 1927902)
Tires have the maximum amount of PSI embossed on the side wall of the tire. Mine say 35 lbs. I keep mine at about 30 psi.

We followed the 35psi limit on our golf cart and in 1 year the center of our front tires bald out!! We now keep all golf cart tires at 22psi.

Topspinmo 04-09-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1927891)
Well, he runs a multi-billion dollar industry and has adequate resources to get the real answers to simple scientific facts. I guess one only wants to get the real facts if the answers fit their agenda?????

Football sucks, that’s all I got to say about that IMO of course.

Clark124 04-09-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Golf The Villages
This should be a list of approved tires and maximum pressure for golf courses (28lbs)

Topspinmo 04-09-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogPilot (Post 1927988)
The owner’s manual for my 2014 Yamaha recommends 16 psi.
The maximum pressure indicated on the tire is NOT the correct pressure for all applications.

And what sizes tires? Golf carts come with 8” rims and tires not the after market 10” or 12”. It really depends on what size tires you have on cart and how there made. 16 PSI is too low for 60 series 10 tire. You will wear the rear tires out quickly, not so much with front tires.

furbish 04-09-2021 10:24 AM

Tire valves

Quote:

Auto tires use what's called a "Schrader" valve, by far the most common type, so golf cart tires are probably the same. There is another kind of valve, I think called "Presta", used on some bicycles.

bobnyce 04-09-2021 10:50 AM

Tires

Quote:

Forty is too high for an SUV!

Scbang 04-09-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobnyce (Post 1928083)
Forty is too high for an SUV!

I just checked and in says 35 front 42 back and it's currently 38 and 45 on a hot driveway.
Anyway, my golf cart ( 2016 Yamaha gas 205-65-10 ) does not give me that PZZZ sound when I measure the pressure so the stem must be clogged or something. Can I still fill it with some quarters? Where is the best place to fill up the cart tire air? Gas stations?
I'm near the high school and library. BTW, the tire says the max is 35 psi..

tobiaszr 04-09-2021 02:40 PM

Just came back from Tire Choice. Was told to leave tires as is. Best tires should be in rear. Did increase psi to 26 in all tires. In the past, was always told to inflate to 22#. Will try 26 and keep an eye on the wear.

tobiaszr 04-09-2021 02:52 PM

Checked Google for rotation of golf cart tires. The suggestion was backs come straight to front and fronts crisscross to back. Oh well, what do you go with in the end?

kcrazorbackfan 04-09-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

26psi. When our tech from Carts and Clubs replaced my clutch last week, he told us to keep ours at that.