Tire pressure gauge

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2021, 07:34 PM
Default Tire pressure gauge

Hi, does golf cart tire use the same gauge as cars? Just ordered a pair from Amazon and it says my cart is only 12 psi ( way too low ) whereas my SUV is 40 ( seems right ).
Just by looking, my cart does not look under inflated. Any thoughts? Should it be around 20 psi?
Old 04-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Yes, same gauge. golf cart tires should be about 22-23 psi per Villages Golf Carts.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Golf car tires do use the same type gauge as a car or bike. If it says 12 lbs that is probably what is in there, borrow a neighbor or friends gauge and double check the accuracy of your new gauge. Tires don't always look low when they are in fact low.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Yup, same gauge. I like to keep our golf carts between 29 and 31 PSI. Valve stems seem to have problems with the Florida heat and humidity and occasionally fail to let you put air into the tire efficiently. I ordered a 24 pack of replacement valve stems on Amazon and swap out the stems every couple of years and the tires thank me for it. Drive on : )
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Temp changes and time affect tire pressure unless you’re tires are filled with nitrogen. Why you should check tire pressure monthly. Try to find gauge that least reads in 1 pound increments. Even then they came be two pounds off minimum. I found for my cart tires the sweet spot 26 PSI. They heavier or lighter the cart it may vary few pounds and Of course the type to tires on the cart>
Old 04-08-2021, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No, that is not exactly true. The ideal gas law still applies. "Air" is 78% nitrogen. The nitrogen or "air" in your tires will respond to temperature changes the same. However, nitrogen filled tires may have less evaporated moisture than "air" filled tires and this can contribute to somewhat reduced pressure changes with temperature changes. It depends on the ambient dew point when the tires were filled. Regardless, it is not worth worrying about for non-racing applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Temp changes and time affect tire pressure unless you’re tires are filled with nitrogen. Why you should check tire pressure monthly. Try to find gauge that least reads in 1 pound increments. Even then they came be two pounds off minimum. I found for my cart tires the sweet spot 26 PSI. They heavier or lighter the cart it may vary few pounds and Of course the type to tires on the cart>

Last edited by tuccillo; 04-08-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Hi, does golf cart tire use the same gauge as cars? Just ordered a pair from Amazon and it says my cart is only 12 psi ( way too low ) whereas my SUV is 40 ( seems right ).
Just by looking, my cart does not look under inflated. Any thoughts? Should it be around 20 psi?
IMO 40 sounds high for you’re SUV, but I would double check the information on door post if you haven’t already? To high pressure with cause over heating and center tire wear?

IMO 20 may be too low if you have gas cart with 10 inch 60 series tires for the rear. More than half of the weight on rear tires if the tire pressure too low or too high you will get uneven tire wear.

Reason I brought this up? You don’t sound to sure of what proper pressure should be?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
No, that is not true. The ideal gas law still applies. "Air" is 78% nitrogen. The pressure in your tires will respond to temperature changes the same whether you have "air" or a nitrogen fill.
But it’s not 100% nitrogen, which will loose pressure at less rate till air compressor air equal out the %.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Nitrogen, by virtue of molecule size, will "leak" out somewhat slower than "air". However, your statement was that temperature changes don't impact nitrogen filled tires. That is really not true. If you can get nitrogen filled tires for no additional cost then that is good but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Quote:
But it’s not 100% nitrogen, which will loose pressure at less rate till air compressor air equal out the %.

Last edited by tuccillo; 04-08-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
No, that is not exactly true. The ideal gas law still applies. "Air" is 78% nitrogen. The nitrogen or "air" in your tires will respond to temperature changes the same. However, nitrogen filled tires may have less evaporated moisture than "air" filled tires and this can contribute to somewhat reduced pressure changes with temperature changes. It depends on the ambient dew point when the tires were filled. Regardless, it is not worth worrying about for non-racing applications.
Could somebody please forward the above to Roger Goodell : )
Old 04-08-2021, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Nitrogen, by virtue of molecule size, will "leak" out somewhat slower than "air". However, your statement was that temperature changes don't impact nitrogen filled tires. That is really not true.
And my next sentence said check monthly. Which IMO means regardless of the theory still need to check them. Which IMO quite few people don’t?

I found/IMO when my car was new and tires was filled with nitrogen, nitrogen filled tires pressure would react to temperature changes, but the pressure would not loose air as fast as compressor filled tires. Basically when the temperature came back up the nitrogen filled tire would read approximately the same. Where regular air filled tires would require top off more often. I agree after you top them off so many times it makes no difference, it will loose air at same rate.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Could somebody please forward the above to Roger Goodell : )
Ok, I’ll bit?

Why would Goodell up in the clouds know anything MORE about tires, air pressure, and tire gauge than he knows about football?
Old 04-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ok, I’ll bit?

Why would Goodell up in the clouds know anything MORE about tires, air pressure, and tire gauge than he knows about football?
Well, he runs a multi-billion dollar industry and has adequate resources to get the real answers to simple scientific facts. I guess one only wants to get the real facts if the answers fit their agenda?????
Old 04-09-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Tires have the maximum amount of PSI embossed on the side wall of the tire. Mine say 35 lbs. I keep mine at about 30 psi.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 AM

Yes, same gauge. I learned the hard way that golf cart tires may look fine even when they are underinflated. 22-24 pounds is recommended I was told by the Villages Golf Cart Service Center.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, tire, psi, gauge, suv

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.