Tis the season for giving...

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2022, 11:59 AM

Where is there an Angel Tree around here?
Old 12-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
to those complaining about liability, thats what insurance is for..
So, you want them to risk their rates increasing because you think they should do something for free?

Your boom was more like a dud...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-04-2022, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
So, you want them to risk their rates increasing because you think they should do something for free?

Your boom was more like a dud...
I agree. But, also, the insurance company may not even consider charity work as a bona fide business operation and deny coverage completely.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Not so much for Villages Cycles.
I belong to a group that raised thousands of dollars to gather up angel tree kids cards at the regional rec centers. We are limited as to how much we can spend per child as we'd rather provide Christmas for as many kids as possible. Therefore, many of us go way above what we raised, in particular for kids who want bikes. We dipped into our own pockets to be able to provide bikes for many children, but we wanted to make sure that our efforts at assembly wouldn't leave a child in danger. Took a bike to Villages Cycles, explained that this is an angel tree gift and asked if they could look it over to make sure it's safe.
Sure we can! For $40 we'll look it over!
Knowing that we are trying to provide for underprivileged kids, they wanted $40 per bike to take a look.
Fortunately, I have found another avenue. I just hate that they had to be this way about it. The 1 bike took 10 minutes for them to tell us that we assembled it correctly and we shelled out the $40 out of our pockets.
As an aside, please know that the deadline for helping these kids is Dec. 14. Please go grab a card and provide Christmas for an underprivileged kid. They deserve this.
Not standing for or against Village Cycles. Any business gets many requests for donations from worthy causes. We all have a limited budget. How to spend it?
A raise for staff? Cover the more expensive benefit package? Charity for a retail business? Right now they have a lot of inventory that needs to be paid for in Jan. Dec first to the 10th is hell week. Where is the Christmas sales? How am I going to pay the bills for all the inventory I brought in.

The post,"$40 per bike." Not sure how to read that. "The one bike took 10 minutes for them to tell us that we assembled it correctly and we shelled out the $40 out of our pockets." A bike comes in a special box that is easy to transport. Once assembled it is far larger and likely to be damaged being transported.

"Underprivileged kid." Based on my experience as a kid, we all started at an early age, a bike is something any owner should learn to repair. A good start is putting it together. I grew up poor and many of the bikes I rode were picked up from the trash, putting several bikes together to make one to ride.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This is a very suspicious thread. It appears that the purpose is to shame a business for not providing free labor to inspect assembled bikes to determine if they are safe? If I owned a bike shop, I would not do this for liability reasons. What is the name of the OP's "group" and is it a bona fide 501c3 charity? And, what criteria did the group use to determine if the "angel tree kids" receiving the bikes are "underprivileged". I don't blame Villages Cycles for refusing to assist the OP.
you know what, that's a very good point. let's say for arguments' sake, they did look over & approve the bike, & it was presented @ Xmas day. for some reason the bike 'fails' or the kid has an accident, they might try to come after the business that checked the bike.
maybe OP could bring it to a private person in a bike club who knows what's what, & have them check it? bless you for thinking of others this time of year
Old 12-06-2022, 06:43 AM

Why would oned first thoughts be litigation? Who thinks that way?
Old 12-06-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Hi Villages Cycles, this is Morgan and Morgan, you know that bike you made $40 on? It was in an accident, who’s your attorney?
Not the first time…..

Last edited by Petersweeney; 12-06-2022 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-06-2022, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Did you ever see the video where a downtown city bus is involved in an accident, and about 30 people are pushing and shoving each other to get on the bus, so they can be part of the lawsuit?
Old 12-06-2022, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
A former lawyer, or someone who's been sued?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, provide, $40, bike, raised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.