Tis the season for giving...

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,527 Times in 409 Posts
Default Tis the season for giving...

Not so much for Villages Cycles.
I belong to a group that raised thousands of dollars to gather up angel tree kids cards at the regional rec centers. We are limited as to how much we can spend per child as we'd rather provide Christmas for as many kids as possible. Therefore, many of us go way above what we raised, in particular for kids who want bikes. We dipped into our own pockets to be able to provide bikes for many children, but we wanted to make sure that our efforts at assembly wouldn't leave a child in danger. Took a bike to Villages Cycles, explained that this is an angel tree gift and asked if they could look it over to make sure it's safe.
Sure we can! For $40 we'll look it over!
Knowing that we are trying to provide for underprivileged kids, they wanted $40 per bike to take a look.
Fortunately, I have found another avenue. I just hate that they had to be this way about it. The 1 bike took 10 minutes for them to tell us that we assembled it correctly and we shelled out the $40 out of our pockets.
As an aside, please know that the deadline for helping these kids is Dec. 14. Please go grab a card and provide Christmas for an underprivileged kid. They deserve this.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
I belong to a group that raised thousands of dollars to gather up angel tree kids cards at the regional rec centers. We are limited as to how much we can spend per child as we'd rather provide Christmas for as many kids as possible. Therefore, many of us go way above what we raised, in particular for kids who want bikes. We dipped into our own pockets to be able to provide bikes for many children, but we wanted to make sure that our efforts at assembly wouldn't leave a child in danger. Took a bike to Villages Cycles, explained that this is an angel tree gift and asked if they could look it over to make sure it's safe.
Knowing that we are trying to provide for underprivileged kids, they wanted $40 per bike to take a look.
Fortunately, I have found another avenue. I just hate that they had to be this way about it. The 1 bike took 10 minutes for them to tell us that we assembled it correctly and we shelled out the $40 out of our pockets.
As an aside, please know that the deadline for helping these kids is Dec. 14. Please go grab a card and provide Christmas for an underprivileged kid. They deserve this.
Sheesssss, not even a "thank you" at the end of the message asking for help!
Old 12-02-2022, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,527 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
Sheesssss, not even a "thank you" at the end of the message asking for help!
Last I heard, a thank you comes after a deed. If you have to have a thank you prior to doing a good deed, you probably don't have a heart for giving.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

This is a very suspicious thread. It appears that the purpose is to shame a business for not providing free labor to inspect assembled bikes to determine if they are safe? If I owned a bike shop, I would not do this for liability reasons. What is the name of the OP's "group" and is it a bona fide 501c3 charity? And, what criteria did the group use to determine if the "angel tree kids" receiving the bikes are "underprivileged". I don't blame Villages Cycles for refusing to assist the OP.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:49 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
I never fail to get a few cards from the angle tree at Laurel. I look forward to it, and always try to take at least one requesting a bike. I have always bought the bikes at WM and they have all been assembled. But, as to this "situation", you paid Villages Cycles their $40 for the "look over", and they will still have customers of course, but I would venture they will never know just how much they REALLY lost in sales by getting the $40.... that $40 will probably cost them MANY hundreds, possibly thousands. Villagers are EXTREMELY generous, some for different causes than others, but just one of THE most generous communities ever. But they don't like to patronize merchants who are not likewise generous to others, especially children. I was in a position to need bicycles and some rather pricey items for some area families, I must say the Walmart manager NEVER said no, always asked what they could do. No to single them out, just too many to mention, so Villages Cycles is in the minority I am sure. By the way, just a thought, there are so many cycle clubs in the villages, have a neighbor who belongs to one of them, he knows more about every type of bicycle, gears, parts, everything. Think he could build one and take it apart blindfolded. Was thinking, there are probably many like him all the bike clubs here... perhaps if asked, some of the would be glad to check out the bikes after you've assembled them ??? Just a thought ?
Old 12-03-2022, 03:03 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

[QUOTE=Pairadocs;2162819]I never fail to get a few cards from the angle tree at Laurel. I look forward to it, and always try to take at least one requesting a bike. I have always bought the bikes at WM and they have all been assembled. But, as to this "situation", you paid Villages Cycles their $40 for the "look over", and they will still have customers of course, but I would venture they will never know just how much they REALLY lost in sales by getting the $40.... that $40 will probably cost them MANY hundreds, possibly thousands. Villagers are EXTREMELY generous, some for different causes than others, but just one of THE most generous communities ever. But they don't like to patronize merchants who are not likewise generous to others, especially children. I was in a position to need bicycles and some rather pricey items for some area families, I must say the Walmart manager NEVER said no, always asked what they could do. Not to single them out, just too many to mention, so Villages Cycles is in the minority I am sure. By the way, just a thought, but there are so many cycle clubs in the villages; we have a neighbor who is very active in one of them and he knows more about every type of bicycle, the gears, parts, than you can imagine. Perhaps some of the clubs have such knowledgeable members who would be happy to help your club out by inspecting the assembling you do ? All the clubs are listed and have a contact person....

Just a thought ?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Then what you heard was incorrect...

Quote:
Last I heard, a thank you comes after a deed. If you have to have a thank you prior to doing a good deed, you probably don't have a heart for giving.
when begging for $$$ you are thanking them for taking the time to read their plea. Unfortunately common courtesy isn't common any more and many people misconstrue what is proper and what is not. many folks are wrong. Then trying to make them feel guilty by saying "you probably don't have a heart for giving" is the icing on the cake when acting improperly.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This is a very suspicious thread. It appears that the purpose is to shame a business for not providing free labor to inspect assembled bikes to determine if they are safe? If I owned a bike shop, I would not do this for liability reasons. What is the name of the OP's "group" and is it a bona fide 501c3 charity? And, what criteria did the group use to determine if the "angel tree kids" receiving the bikes are "underprivileged". I don't blame Villages Cycles for refusing to assist the OP.
Hi Villages Cycles, this is Morgan and Morgan, you know that bike you made $40 on? It was in an accident, who’s your attorney?
Old 12-03-2022, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
To some businesses, it’s all about the money. They make enough money on those bicycles and can’t give back to the community?
Old 12-03-2022, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
To some businesses, it’s all about the money. They make enough money on those bicycles and can’t give back to the community?
Better in these times to make a donation than put yourself at risk. Sad but true
Old 12-03-2022, 09:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Hi Villages Cycles, this is Morgan and Morgan, you know that bike you made $40 on? It was in an accident, who’s your attorney?
That is a very good point.

Giving $100 to a charity is pretty simple because no one is going to come after me if the recipient spends their money on a defective product.

However, if I own a business and give a free service, like examining a used bike to decide if it is safe, I suspect my business could get sued if the bike is involved in an accident.

In short, I think the OP expected too much from the bicycle store.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
You'll be surprised how much I have given, but it is none of your business so I move on to this:
When you begging, it's always nice to say "Thank You" and "Please" but you might now know how to use those words so you're excused...
Old 12-03-2022, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
The 1 bike took 10 minutes for them to tell us that we assembled it correctly and we shelled out the $40
So, Villages Cycles charges $240.00 p/h rate to look at your bike?? A bit steep, I'm guessing, for a quick look.
Glad you found another avenue.

As for everyone here, quit sniping at one another over little difference s in protocals, dispense with formalities. This is about helping disadvantaged children.

Kiss and make up and everyone have a wonderful Holiday Season, no matter what you celebrate, your faith or customs may be.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I really fail to see the issue other than you "expected" a company that you contacted (unsolicited) to expend its own time, personnel, facility & expertise to examine a product that wasn't theirs and inspect work they didn't do (placing a legal liability on them) for your supposed un-named "charity" ...all for "free".

How many "free 10 minute inspections" would you like to have had done?
1?, ..5?, ...25?,.... 250? adds up doesn't it, it would to them.

They are a business with overhead cost, other customer/demands, possibly other charities and certainly other related challenges that go with operating a business. They are not a non profit and they are definitely not there to personally serve your particular choice of non-profit for no-cost, because you think they should.
Life doesn't work that way.
Additionally, they probably are at minimum, very leery of scamers (ie: people asking for free stuff, just because they claim to be affiliated with certain groups, social media channels, product reviewers, etc)
I wonder if you thought about any of this....

If you desire to do good work in the world, good on you!
If you are legit, I commend your efforts, but you take that on, along with any other related issues, expenses or inconveniences attached.

Have a good holiday & best of luck in your endeavor.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:36 AM
Veteran member
Default to those complaining about liability, thats what insurance is for..

to those complaining about liability, thats what insurance is for..
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, provide, $40, bike, raised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.