Today's Daily News - Advertising - Be Aware

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Why do people get up in the morning and feel this need to attack the Daily Sun?
The same reason some people feel obliged to defend The Sun, I suppose. They happen to have an opinion and feel it's worth sharing.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
The same reason some people feel obliged to defend The Sun, I suppose. They happen to have an opinion and feel it's worth sharing.
YES. I normally just think I am wrong when insulted about some of my posts. You restore my faith in human kindness by your logic. It's an opinion. Thanks for this nice post Halibut.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Moral businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Very true. If you have strong moral values, you will not survive in business today. It used to be the fair business man was the one we looked for, but in our busy world today we go for the most conveinace or the best price. An honest morel business can't make it today.
Hobby Lobby and Chick-Fil-A both have taken what "they see" as moral stands that certainly seem not convenient in today's business world. They seem reasonably successful. However, your point is still well taken.

When looking at any advertisement you have to use a bit of common sense. If it sounds too good to be true----it usually is. Believe it or not a number of people even believe all the "stuff" that you see on the Internet. Imagine that!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

As far as advertisements written as articles go, many years ago a law was passed that these must be identified as advertisement. Whenever I see something that seems like it's a news article yet selling or pushing something, I look at the top for the teeny-weeny printing that says "Advertisement." No need to get scammed.

Also, I agree with whoever said it doesn't seem like price gouging as compared with Amazon. It's not that much higher a price. Amazon is a giant, with inventory out the wazoo. They can afford to offer lower prices because they buy in bulk.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Eternal Member

I am amazed that these two ads that have appeared in the Daily Sun many times have garnered four pages of responses.

They are ads and companies pay money for them to run and newspapers make their money off of ads.

Either you read them or you don't. If you decide to reply and take "advantage" of these ads, that is your prerogative.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Gold member

I'm just wondering whether anyone here has purchased one of these heaters and what they think of them. They may be fine.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Or that The Sun sells to a majority of people who live here who like what it has to say.

Without getting political. And THAT is the real burr in the saddle on that subject.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Or that The Sun sells to a majority of people who live here who like what it has to say.

Without getting political. And THAT is the real burr in the saddle on that subject.
You are right on target !!!!

The Daily Sun is a newspaper as any others. It has its own agenda, as do ALL newspapers, whether it be editorially or otherwise, ad do ALL newspapers.

I would doubt that those who come on here and spout negativity about the paper would even think of doing it if not for the political slant from that paper.

I, just me, cannot imagine on my list of things to do on any given day, writing a negative post about the local newspaper unless it was being so "non news gathering" or it actuallly made a serious error. To post about the newspaper and a product that you THINK is misleading and to lay that at the newspaper is simply...well, fill in the blanks.

New York Times has more outlandish ads than you can imagine. yet we expect our local newspaper to edit, check prices, and backgrounds of anyone who advertises !!! Come on

Would love to hear a specific newspaper in the entire country who does what those who criticize our paper for....just one. I know you cannot because it does not happen but the posting continue on this as if it were done every day by every paper.

To even suggest that people who have strong moral values cannot be in business, as has been suggested is ludicrious also,

I am with you GRACIE.....it is politics totally and those who claim immorality should examine their own conscience as they hide behind this.

Yep, everyone has a right to their opinion...that is a fact, thus so do I and my opinion is that there are other motives behind anyone who critiques any newspaper because the advertisers may have exaggerated or they do not like their pricing.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Pretty much ONLY in response !!!!

Not a big fan of the Sun...like it, but surely is not my source of news....my REASON is to respond to carping about an advertiser and placing the onus on the newspaper and going further into their morals, etc.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
You are right on target !!!!

The Daily Sun is a newspaper as any others. It has its own agenda, as do ALL newspapers, whether it be editorially or otherwise, ad do ALL newspapers.

I would doubt that those who come on here and spout negativity about the paper would even think of doing it if not for the political slant from that paper.

I, just me, cannot imagine on my list of things to do on any given day, writing a negative post about the local newspaper unless it was being so "non news gathering" or it actuallly made a serious error. To post about the newspaper and a product that you THINK is misleading and to lay that at the newspaper is simply...well, fill in the blanks.

New York Times has more outlandish ads than you can imagine. yet we expect our local newspaper to edit, check prices, and backgrounds of anyone who advertises !!! Come on

Would love to hear a specific newspaper in the entire country who does what those who criticize our paper for....just one. I know you cannot because it does not happen but the posting continue on this as if it were done every day by every paper.

To even suggest that people who have strong moral values cannot be in business, as has been suggested is ludicrious also,

I am with you GRACIE.....it is politics totally and those who claim immorality should examine their own conscience as they hide behind this.

Yep, everyone has a right to their opinion...that is a fact, thus so do I and my opinion is that there are other motives behind anyone who critiques any newspaper because the advertisers may have exaggerated or they do not like their pricing.
I read the sun every day and unless you are taking about feel good articles I do not see the "Agenda" referred to. Just because they avoid some of the negative news found in other media outlets, then they have no Agenda. For many village residents, it is nice to wake up to a morning paper not jammed with bad news. I say hurray for the Daily Suns format. The delivery man never misses the center of my drive.

Oh, by the way Bucco, thanks for that long heartfelt apology you sent me via Private Message.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

I nearly got hooked. Initially thought it was some kind of a government deal.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
It was done for that very reason. If the product was any good they would not have to use such creepy advertising to sell it.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
THAT's exactly why I started this thread. A couple of upset sounding posts cause me to want to clarify a couple of things.

I was NOT bashing the paper. I probably have never given the Daily Sun two thoughts one way or the other.

I suggested the products might be good and at a good price.

I said this is probably running in other papers...not just the DS. By doing so, I acknowledge this is accepted advertising practice.

I suggest the DS is probably being paid well for a full page with photos. The business of money making at it's best....no problem.

Now, I did express my displeasure at the type of advertising and the fact that it was misleading. I stand by that. If any of you don't find this to be sneaky, OK....your opinion. Buyer beware, as in all things.

It truly was just a "heads up", with no hidden agenda, political or otherwise. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
THAT's exactly why I started this thread. A couple of upset sounding posts cause me to want to clarify a couple of things.

I was NOT bashing the paper. I probably have never given the Daily Sun two thoughts one way or the other.

I said this is probably running in other papers...not just the DS. By doing so, I acknowledge this is accepted advertising practice.

I suggest the DS is probably being paid well for a full page with photos. The business of money making at it's best....no problem.

Now, I did express my displeasure at the type of advertising and the fact that it was misleading. I stand by that. If any of you don't find this to be sneaky, OK....your opinion. Buyer beware, as in all things.

It truly was just a "heads up", with no hidden agenda, political or otherwise. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.
Glad you posted !!!! I will be the first to apologize if I over reacted. The thread was not a problem for me until others began to express their chagrin in the paper for even taking the ad.

We all know that these kind of ads run.....everyone knows it and on the assumption your intent was a heads up on this particular one, I am sorry if I over reacted. Your OP did say "and I'm a little disappointed in the TVDS for accepting this type of advertising.

Think that comment sent some on to another mode and began talking about the paper instead of the ad in question. Sort of set the thread into a different direction.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post

Not misunderstood at all. I also was accused of being negative about the sun while in reality I very much enjoy it every morning. There are a few that like to spin most threads, but feel confident that your OP was clear and in no way insulting to the sun. As a matter of fact it most likely saved a senior money.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.