Electric Bikes

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 AM
Default Electric Bikes

Hi, I am interested in getting an electric bike but there are so many options. I would love to hear others opinions on the subject. Thanks for any input
Old 02-17-2021, 08:32 AM

Try forum search feature

e-bike information
Old 02-17-2021, 01:16 PM

Rent one and see how you like it first. When my adult kids visited they rented three electric bikes. It was fairly inexpensive to rent for the day. I personally didn't use one. I found it too heavy and hard to reach the pedals for myself. My hubby and son-in-law enjoyed them, though hubby found the seat hurt his arse after a while (but they did go miles and he's not used to it). Son in law is a stunt man in LA, so he was whooping it up. My daughter said it was too much bike for her in terms of weight etc. She was fine around the area but they biked for miles.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Whatever bike you choose most people are delighted with whatever ebike they get as they are comparing to a normal bike.

I would filter your decision with three things:

What you want to do (neighborhood, trails etc.)

What you are expecting. A little help when you peddle, lots of range or pure power. Do you want exercise or something to ride (there is a difference).

How much you want to spend. While no one recommends the 499.00 model on Amazon, starting at 899.00 you can get somewhat reliable units. At about 3200 you get electronic shifting and some very nice components

My latest ride was 2,500 and I am looking at a 3,700 unit but I have had 700.00 bike. The 3,700 unit does not replace the 2.5k unit, they have completely different purposes.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:19 PM
Thanked 1,115 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych2002 View Post
Hi, I am interested in getting an electric bike but there are so many options. I would love to hear others opinions on the subject. Thanks for any input
I have 2 ebikes currently and another on preorder from Sonders. I built the one with a cheap 1000w direct drive rear wheel kit from Amazon and a generic battery from ebay installing the kit on a standard hardtail mountain bike. It works great.

Then I have a 1000w Bafang mid-drive kit on another standard hardtail MTB with a battery that has Samsung cells. It is one powerful and wicked fast machine.

I have a Sondors MadMods moped style ebike on preorder.

Read the articles on Electrek for their opinions. They love Rad Power Bikes but I think a lot of Rad bikes look like they just took a DIY kit and installed it for you. Rad was the first company to market affordable bikes direct to the consumer so they got the jump on all the others.

I think bikes from Ride1Up, Sondors and Lectric are better built with hidden integrated components & are way better looking bikes for about the same money. My neighbors have 3 Lectric bikes and they are really nice & well built.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-21-2021, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Isn't electric bike another name for moped? I don't get it. What's wrong with a bike bike?
Old 02-21-2021, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Isn't electric bike another name for moped? I don't get it. What's wrong with a bike bike?
No it's not the same, if the operator is going any distance at all they are pedaling.

A bike is great! It is also fantastic that people who would not otherwise bike are doing so because of Ebikes?

The more bikes out there make is safer for every cyclist. Drivers come to expect bikes and look for them.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:39 PM

Do you think the villages would ever let you ride an ebike on a golf course instead of a cart? Using wide tires of course. I’m just thinking exercise.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igolf47 View Post
Do you think the villages would ever let you ride an ebike on a golf course instead of a cart? Using wide tires of course. I’m just thinking exercise.
You could get one of these, there are several. here's just a couple

The Villages Florida

The Trollhättan Sweeden-based company introduced several prototypes in 2018. What came to market is a 4-wheel, ATV inspired single-rider vehicle. With its Scandinavian design and upscale componentry (Ellwee sources wiring harnesses and electronic parts from the same company which supplies similar parts for Volvo, Porsche, and Mercedes-Benz )

The Villages Florida

Phat Golf (headquartered in Tempe, AZ) debuted its Phatty HD scooter at the PGA show in 2018. This model has a top end speed of 20 MPH (though the company recommends 13 MPH for golf) and according to PGA Tour professional Pat Perez, “It’s like riding a couch.” Similar to the Finn Cycle (and most two-wheeled options) it’s best suited for arid climates, and insomuch as vehicles reflect the geography of its origin, the Phat scooter has a decidedly laid-back desert cruiser SoCal vibe.

The 10” wide tires and lower seat height (28”) coupled with independent front and rear suspension give the Phatty HD features designed specifically for comfort and balance. Like other models, it includes requisite golf accessories (beverage cooler and basic storage) and because I have a soft spot for 90s slang, the name gets two bonus points.

If you want exercise, these are popular in the UK, Club Car Caddy that follows you as you move

The Villages Florida
Old 02-21-2021, 04:02 PM

I have a Townie Electra which I purchased from Village Cycles and I love it. It’s got pedal assist which means I must be pedaling for the battery to kick in. I feel like I’m getting a good work out and The Villages is a beautiful place to ride so it’s a win/win. We rented one before purchasing which is a good thing to do if you’re not sure because they are quite expensive. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, subject, opinions, hear, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.