The Tone of TOTV and A Bit of Boomer's Bio

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default The Tone of TOTV and A Bit of Boomer's Bio

For the past several days, I have watched TOTV descend into a maelstrom, and I am starting to have no hope for the forum that has been a part of many of my mornings since 2007. I am in the habit of giving the opening page a scroll and posting, if finding a topic I want to be a part of.

I am not big on the number of posts. In fact, when I was nearing 100 posts, all those years ago, I sent a PM to Mr. Tony, the owner and admin, asking him to please delete some of them. I laugh about that now, but then, I was blushing to think how habit-forming TOTV was becoming for me.

Now, almost 14 years later, I have barely passed 4000 posts, and I admit, I also find that number to be a bit embarrassing because it represents time I could have used cleaning off my desk. But I have been holding onto the excuse that I write posts like some people crochet or do puzzles -- a hobby.

Like so many of you, I found TOTV when I was looking for anecdotal information about life in TV. I could find advertising, but that was it. A tenacious search led me to TOTV when it was in its infancy. In those days, we had some ups and downs, but the overall tone was helpful -- and often, just plain fun.

I know TOTV has changed owners since, possibly more than once. TOTV sold for the first time in 2011. I am completely serious when I say that had I known in time, I might have bought it. (I could envision possible tax write-offs -- along with maybe using my energy to sell ads from my office-in-the-home or by driving around in my white Honda with the Florida plates to corner the ad market. (I spent 35 years pitching literature so I must have been thinking maybe my experience could have been transferable. sigh)

We eventually bought a house in Hadley. But had my original impression of TV been the one now often put forth on TOTV, I never would have wanted to buy. We kept our Ohio house. Thank goodness.

I have debated about whether to write this because I am to the "what's the point" stage. There are probably those among us who, like me, have noticed that we have lost a lot of our posters who had been contributing helpful posts and fun, too, for a long time. (I think they must be smarter than me because I have been continuing to hang around.)

The overall tone of TOTV this past week has been over-the-top with ugly stuff. Although I do not personally know most of you, I have been horrified to see the deluge of hatred, the bigotry, the complete arrogance -- including the irony of the name-calling that one name-caller, in particular, would see as elitist -- if someone disagreeing would say the same things. I have seen the self-righteous flaunting of a version of "religion" twisted into having nothing to with kindness, mercy, love, and peace. (Remember that guy Jesus?)

I saw a thread, since closed, that brought homophobia to the surface with certain posters -- some of whom surprised me. As a longtime secondary teacher, I have wept for students who have committed suicide because of feeling their homosexuality could never be accepted by their families. I am grateful to see how times have changed for so many people. That has saved, and will continue to save, lives.

This morning -- in the email notice sent out to us a few times a week from TOTV -- there were at least 3 threads headlined that were destined to invite more ugly stuff. I had to wonder if those choices were made by an algorithm or were those kinds of threads chosen on purpose by an actual person -- for a numbers game.

As I end this saga, if you are still reading, may I suggest that you read "Declaration of Conscience" -- a classic speech given by Margaret Chase Smith on June 1, 1950, which she ends by calling out "The Four Horsemen of Calumny -- Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry, and Smear."

Boomer

PS: I am not kidding myself that anyone will actually do that homework assignment I just gave -- or even kidding myself that this thread will last -- or kidding myself that anybody is still reading this -- but I just had to say my piece -- or was it peace?

PPS: I don't know how that hat-tipping emoji ended up at the beginning of this post. I can't make it go away. I don't know how. So I guess I will just have to consider my hat -- and my hand -- tipped.

PPPS: Damn. And now a smiley face emoji has appeared out of nowhere. I must be bumping stuff because I am on my laptop. Believe you me, I am not smiling right now -- although I do feel better.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-18-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typos -- no time to find all of them
Old 02-18-2021, 06:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Now, almost 14 years later, I have barely passed 4000 posts, and I admit, I also find that number to be a bit embarrassing because it represents time I could have used cleaning off my desk. But I have been holding onto the excuse that I write posts like some people crochet or do puzzles -- a hobby.
Heck, there are posters that have more than that in ONE year. I wouldn't have time or energy to lay down an average of almost 12 opinions every day for a year, but it has been done.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 02-18-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Welcome to the reality of life. All website forums go through this and they either come out the other side completely different, close down or return to sanity. A lot like life in general.

Relax and enjoy the ride(along with the bumps).
Old 02-18-2021, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
For the past several days, I have watched TOTV descend into a maelstrom, and I am starting to have no hope for the forum that has been a part of many of my mornings since 2007. I am in the habit of giving the opening page a scroll and posting, if finding a topic I want to be a part of.

I am not big on the number of posts. In fact, when I was nearing 100 posts, all those years ago, I sent a PM to Mr. Tony, the owner and admin, asking him to please delete some of them. I laugh about that now, but then, I was blushing to think how habit-forming TOTV was becoming for me.

Like so many of you, I found TOTV when I was looking for anecdotal information about life in TV. I could find advertising, but that was it. A tenacious search led me to TOTV when it was in its infancy. In those days, we had some ups and downs, but the overall tone was helpful -- and often, just plain fun.

I know TOTV has changed owners since, possibly more than once. TOTV sold for the first time in 2011. I am completely serious when I say that had I known in time, I might have bought it. (I could envision possible tax write-offs -- along with maybe using my energy to sell ads from my office-in-the-home or by driving around in my white Honda with the Florida plates to corner the ad market. (I spent 35 years pitching literature so I must have been thinking maybe my experience could have been transferrable. sigh)

We eventually bought a house in Hadley. But had my original impression of TV been the one now often put forth on TOTV, I never would have wanted to buy. We kept our Ohio house. Thank goodness.

I have debated about whether to write this because I am to the "what's the point" stage. There are probably those among us who, like me, have noticed that we have lost a lot of our posters who had been contributing helpful posts and fun, too, for a long time. (I think they must be smarter than me because I have been continuing to hang around.)

The overall tone of TOTV this past week has been over-the-top with ugly stuff. Although I do not personally know most of you, I have been horrified to see the deluge of hatred, the bigotry, the complete arrogance -- including the irony of the name-calling that one name-caller, in particular, would see as elitist -- if someone disagreeing would say the same things. I have seen the self-righteous flaunting of a version of "religion" twisted into having nothing to with kindness, mercy, love, and peace. (Remember that guy Jesus?)

I saw a thread, since closed, that brought homophobia to the surface with certain posters -- some of whom surprised me. As a longtime secondary teacher, I have wept for students who have committed suicide because of feeling their homosexuality could never be accepted by their families. I am grateful to see how times have changed for so many people. That has saved, and will continue to save, lives.

This morning -- in the email notice sent out to us a few times a week from TOTV -- there were at least 3 threads headlined that were destined to invite more ugly stuff. I had to wonder if those choices were made by an algorithm or were those kinds of threads chosen on purpose by an actual person -- for a numbers game.

As I end this saga, if you are still reading, may I suggest that you read "Declaration of Conscience" -- a classic speech given by Margaret Chase Smith on June 1, 1950, which she ends by calling out "The Four Horsemen of Calumny -- Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry, and Smear."

Boomer

PS: I am not kidding myself that anyone will actually do that homework assignment I just gave -- or even kidding myself that this thread will last -- or kidding myself that anybody is still reading this -- but I just had to say my piece -- or was it peace?

PPS: I don't know how that hat-tipping emoji ended up at the beginning of this post. I can't make it go away. I don't know how. So I guess I will just have to consider my hat -- and my hand -- tipped.

PPPS: Damn. And now a smiley face emoji has appeared out of nowhere. I must be bumping stuff because I am on my laptop. Believe you me, I am not smiling right now -- although I do feel better.
After not seeing A Boomer post for nearly a year.....it was good to see once again.
PS: you are so right about has happened to the board.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

If you think this is bad ... ever read "NEXTDOOR" forum (APP)?
Old 02-18-2021, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:

I know TOTV has changed owners since, possibly more than once. TOTV sold for the first time in 2011. I am completely serious when I say that had I known in time, I might have bought it. (I could envision possible tax write-offs -- along with maybe using my energy to sell ads from my office-in-the-home or by driving around in my white Honda with the Florida plates to corner the ad market. (I spent 35 years pitching literature so I must have been thinking maybe my experience could have been transferrable. sigh)

Boomer

I post only to show support to you, and cannot agree more.

Recalling the days when difference of opinion did not mean hate or accusatory terms.

By the way, today I wrote to the Moderator (didn’t know where to go) to complain to them about the posts)

Must be the proliferation of available media that allow lies and untruths to be passed on, with never fear of accountability for hate and lying.

Glad you posted
Old 02-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Yep....I only use that place for the for sale section.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

I left Facebook for more or less the same reason, Boomer. At first it was a nice place to reconnect with old high school friends and see pics of the young'uns that live in other parts of the country. Then everything got ugly and political to the point where it wasn't enjoyable any more. I miss some of the groups that I followed on there but I don't miss the nastiness (and I suspect my blood pressure has come down a bit).

The whole COVID thing has maybe contributed to people being a little testier than in the past. Who wants to hear that you are a selfish ***** because you refuse to wear a mask or lock yourself in your house AFTER being vaccinated. I keep thinking that some day this will be a thing of the past but will anyone still be around at that point?

kathy
Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:

Boomer

What great about forum, nobody twisting you’re arm to open up, read, or post. IMO, The problem with most forums new posters post a post and immediately get jumped on by few oldies on forum with humor or SAR, which can be taking the wrong way?

That’s sets the tone for new posters, some don’t come back and some are on defensive. So, IMO it sets the tit or tat, and reap’s what we sow. Either take it, respond with tat, or let it go? This is NOT directed at anyone, just way it goes down.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I left Facebook for more or less the same reason, Boomer. At first it was a nice place to reconnect with old high school friends and see pics of the young'uns that live in other parts of the country. Then everything got ugly and political to the point where it wasn't enjoyable any more. I miss some of the groups that I followed on there but I don't miss the nastiness (and I suspect my blood pressure has come down a bit).

The whole COVID thing has maybe contributed to people being a little testier than in the past. Who wants to hear that you are a selfish ***** because you refuse to wear a mask or lock yourself in your house AFTER being vaccinated. I keep thinking that some day this will be a thing of the past but will anyone still be around at that point?

kathy
IMO FB is not the site to blabbing on especially politic’s, somebody watching, saving, and selling personal information. I never blab about politics, pass on anything. That’s how you get hacked. Plus I don’t let the world into my FB page, another way to get hacked along with all you’re friends sending friend requests to them which not you requesting cause you’re already friends. Another thing, once you post on FB it’s out there for ever, so IMO word of caution?
Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post

kathy
For whatever, you made a wise decision.

I have been a nuisance on this subject, but so much “news” is simply junk, out of context, or flat out lies.

The pressure, and insanity living under lies is just plain harmful, to our mental and physical health.

Hearing people say...that’s the way it is.....is intolerable. Holding people responsible on forums for lies and misinformation is not simply the job of the moderators.

Our society has been placed under a lot of pressure. I think we sumo,y demand truth, and call out lying
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

I still like my idea of a daily post limit. lol

We have so many power posters that are "passionate" about certain subjects that they spend their entire day replying to every post in every thread on their chosen subject. Whether it be Covid. Whether it be County Commissioners, local tax/impact fees, anti developer rants, etc. Give them 10 posts a day. If they can't get their point across in that many posts, come back tomorrow and try again.

Then we have the soapbox preachers spouting off whatever ideology they feel that we should all aspire to on any given day.

Granted, it seems people have a lot more time on their hands these days, but for goodness sakes, take up a hobby other than social media..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-19-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
TOTV is mild compared to Next Door. Nearly every thread disintegrates into a virtual fist fight.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

They will always be those that hide behind the anomimity of the internet. But you also have to understand that it is a release of emotions for many people and perhaps these are the people that would commit suicide if they were not given a place to vent. Yes it hurts people but you have a choice in life to read or not to read that is the issue God gave us brains so that we can skip those that we do not agree with unfortunately or unfortunately in this country we are giving constitutional rights to have opinions not of others and also unfortunately we have the cancer culture and the boycott culture which I totally disagree with as I've said many times to people who knock on my door asking me to convert thank you but no thank you
Old 02-19-2021, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

I know TOTV has changed owners since, possibly more than once. TOTV sold for the first time in 2011. I am completely serious when I say that had I known in time, I might have bought it. (I could envision possible tax write-offs -- along with maybe using my energy to sell ads from my office-in-the-home or by driving around in my white Honda with the Florida plates to corner the ad market. (I spent 35 years pitching literature so I must have been thinking maybe my experience could have been transferable. sigh)

Boomer

I don’t like to see Fear, Ignorance, Hatred of the Other, and Bigotry here, either. I thought the moderators did a great job of stopping political posts that turned that direction during the recent campaign.

On another note, I see that in 14 years of reading ToTV, you have THANKED someone with a THUMBS UP only ONE TIME! That shows an astonishing lack of gratitude in your attitude (grinning). Do you like almost nothing you read here? Is almost nothng helpful? And yet you have commented over 4,100 times and been thanked hundreds of times.
Closed Thread

Tags
totv, posts, time, kidding, stuff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.