The Tone of TOTV and A Bit of Boomer's Bio

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Everything said here is probably mostly true. And the post was informative. My post only used the buffalo as an example - a starting point for a larger conversation about the value, the pros of GROWTH, and the cons, the negatives. In general, most people believe that GROWTH and the increased population that parallels that GROWTH are inherently GOOD. I say that if you imagine a graph with Growth or GNP on the Y, vertical axis and you put population growth on the X-axis - you would see a straight line from left to right. But, at some point, the curve would start to bend over to less increase of GROWTH on the Y-axis per given X=axis increase. Like a saturation effect.

If we try it again instead with "QUALITY OF LIFE" on the Y-axis we may get a curve shaped like a mountain where some point is the maximization of Quality and then downward sloping for the increasing population. This makes certain assumptions, of course. Like square mile area of the country or of TV Land or any somewhat self-contained state or country. It also assumes that raw materials and resources are held fairly constant.

So far as I know this is just a theoretical concept. But, it could all be calculated for a city, state, or the whole US with the available, powerful computers. Portland, Or. years ago drew a line around their city to keep quality of life high by limiting high rises and other methods. The city finally relented and went away from the idea due to, I imagine, PROFIT-making interests and lobbies. I do not know if anyone ever wrote a book about that Portland, Or. attempt? Or if any summaries or conclusions were ever drawn. But, it was a HISTORIC attempt at maximizing Quality of Life - over PROFITS.
I do not see where quality of life and profits do not co-exist. Profit is not a dirty word. Profit is the goal of hard work and planning and is represented by cash, but it is the goal that when met, supports the business and the livelihood of people who depend on it for their jobs.

"Profit is necessary for the survival and growth of business enterprise. If the business does not make enough profit it will not survive in the growing competitive world. Profit means survival.

It enables the business to grow, helps employee motivation, eases negotiations with banks, attracts investors, and gives clients and customers a confidence in business. All that adds up to success.

Profit is a yardstick that tests the efficiency of the business firm. The success of the business can be judged by the extent of profit earning capacity."

Above snipped from article. Not original.

People who have long worked for the government sometimes use the word profit as a bad word. Profit is not the result of greed or of bad motives. Profit is when you have strawberries left over from your field that you didn't need to sell to get groceries. Profit is canning the leftovers or giving them to a neighbor.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
In regards to the show The Good Doctor (and others like it), I embrace the idea of showing real life situations that may make me question my own potential prejudices, in the never-ending journey to becoming a better human being. Of all the wonderful rights we have in this country, nowhere does it say that we have the "right" - to never be uncomfortable.
That's a great approach to "things that make you uncomfortable." I personally avoid TV because I prefer a more active form of entertainment - so I spend most of the time most people are watching TV, by playing a multi-player interactive roleplaying text-based game online, with people all over the world. I used to sit in front of the TV for hours every day. It was just too mind-numbing for me, so now I watch occasional shows as a break from the computer, or to share a movie with Beloved Spouse.

Mostly though he watches golf and reruns of old movies, and I game.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Let's hear it for capitalism. Yeah! The TV media aims toward the younger under 25 crowd because they spend more. So, the programming and cultural attitudes reflected are about that group's lives mostly. The baby boomer domination of culture is over! We are only important because we vote a lot. Some specific media and movies are directed towards us. The Villages is an island of rock and roll and older people and ideas. And this Villages island is even becoming younger, Soon rock and roll will be played less and less on Village radio! We will all go the way of the Dodo and the buffalo here in the Villages! Gone and a slowly vanishing memory.
You know what's scary:

Stairway to Heaven has been an "Oldie" since 1985.
Jerry Garcia has been dead for over a quarter of a century.
The last THREE generations - have probably never heard of the song Seasons in the Sun.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:41 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Pssssst, Gracie, you and I went to press at exactly the same time. My post just now was immediately before yours, and then the page on my lineup turned. We hit submit simultaneously at 5:15.

Like I said, I will be back, but while I am in here, I do want to say that I don’t know why your early post was deleted. You are one who did the “homework assignment” and then posted. I liked it. I hope you did not have to miss cheerleading practice to do it.

(By the way, I am not being snarky, much. Gracie really was a high school cheerleader. She told us about it years ago and I remembered. I was not a cheerleader. I dance like Elaine on Seinfeld. Even though there was no Elaine back then, I knew better than to go out for cheerleading.)

Boomer
Old 02-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Pssssst, Gracie, you and I went to press at exactly the same time. My post just now was immediately before yours, and then the page on my line-up turned. We hit submit simultaneously at 5:15.

Like I said, I will be back, but while I am in here, I do want to say that I don’t know why your early post was deleted. You are one who did the “homework assignment” and then posted. I liked it. I hope you did not have to miss cheerleading practice to do it.

(By the way, I am not being snarky, much. Gracie really was a high school cheerleader. She told us about it years ago and I remembered. I was not a cheerleader. I dance like Elaine on Seinfeld. Even though there was no Elaine back then, I knew better than to go out for cheerleading.)

Boomer

I was a high school cheerleader and I am clumsy as a cow on a crutch. I am pretty sure I was picked by the committee of teachers for other reasons...such as my mom died when I was born and I was a serious student. I don't know.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I do not see where quality of life and profits do not co-exist. Profit is not a dirty word. Profit is the goal of hard work and planning and is represented by cash, but it is the goal that when met, supports the business and the livelihood of people who depend on it for their jobs.

"Profit is necessary for the survival and growth of business enterprise. If the business does not make enough profit it will not survive in the growing competitive world. Profit means survival.

It enables the business to grow, helps employee motivation, eases negotiations with banks, attracts investors, and gives clients and customers a confidence in business. All that adds up to success.

Profit is a yardstick that tests the efficiency of the business firm. The success of the business can be judged by the extent of profit earning capacity."

People who have long worked for the government sometimes use the word profit as a bad word. Profit is not the result of greed or of bad motives. Profit is when you have strawberries left over from your field that you didn't need to sell to get groceries. Profit is canning the leftovers or giving them to a neighbor.
I tried to drill below the surface on my post, which referenced back to another post about TV Land buffalo. I may have gotten a little too"would-be" professorial on that one. One can say that PROFIT is NOT a dirty word, but things get muddied when one gets into the "greed is good" philosophy of business. Incidentally, socially responsible businesses are, on average, more successful and PROFITABLE than rogue "greed is good"-types. Also, the example of Bernie Madoff would come to mind!

My basic point actually NEVER involved PROFITS. If one goes back and looks at my Y-axis, it was GNP GROWTH in one example and QUALITY of LIFE in the 2nd example (I hope no one would dispute quality of Life). Growth and Profits are not synonymous. You can have one without the other. I would hope that other posters re-read my offering. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

However, in context, let’s see....during this pandemic...

I am just trying to add to an earlier post (by JIMJAMUSER I think).

“With few exceptions, big businesses are having a very different year from most of the country. Between April and September, one of the most tumultuous economic stretches in modern history, 45 of the 50 most valuable publicly traded U.S. companies turned a profit, a Washington Post analysis found.”

“Despite their success, at least 27 of the 50 largest firms held layoffs this year, collectively cutting more than 100,000 workers, The Post found.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...virus-layoffs/

Point is as we make the rich richer and the difference between “rich” and “poor” greater, are we serving the country’s good ? Never feel guilty about making a profit and do all you can to make, but let’s not forget about our country.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Good point, I have heard that Ga. tries hard to encourage film crews. Crews go to New Zealand sometimes because every possible and beautiful landscape is available there.
The terrain and flora of New Zealand are beautiful and diverse. I have been to and around both islands. The people are friendly and honest. Twenty five years ago I thought about buying some property there but never did as it was a long, long flight from LAX. One can even get a reverse mortgage down there! Borrowing against the value of your home | New Zealand Government

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-20-2021, 06:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
However, in context, let’s see....during this pandemic...

I am just trying to add to an earlier post (by JIMJAMUSER I think).

“With few exceptions, big businesses are having a very different year from most of the country. Between April and September, one of the most tumultuous economic stretches in modern history, 45 of the 50 most valuable publicly traded U.S. companies turned a profit, a Washington Post analysis found.”

“Despite their success, at least 27 of the 50 largest firms held layoffs this year, collectively cutting more than 100,000 workers, The Post found.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...virus-layoffs/

Point is as we make the rich richer and the difference between “rich” and “poor” greater, are we serving the country’s good ? Never feel guilty about making a profit and do all you can to make, but let’s not forget about our country.
True. The disparity in wealth in the US has never been greater. The Corporations LOVE to lay-off or fire as many workers as possible. Labor is just their biggest cost, which they want to make as low as possible. Corporations can often substitute capital equipment for labor. Machines do NOT need lunch and coffee breaks. They do NOT need health care, daycare, paid time off, and etc. Wall Street rewards Corporations when they cut their workforce. That is one of the many reasons why I scratch my head at the wisdom of any immigration (legal or otherwise). The US is no longer a frontier nation. Andrew Yang said to be prepared for 30 % UNEMPLOYMENT in the US. We could end up with a whole young generation with no outlet for their energy except drugs and crime to supplement their boredom. It IS very possible and the CV plague has exasperated things. WE are in a strange and potentially dangerous time period in history. Citizens and government at all levels need to make good decisions and quick action in order to solve these many problems BEFORE they "fester" beyond control and become unsolvable. Even a little thing like this forum can help or hinder by making accurate and true information available and disseminated. I TRY (?) to be on the help side of that equation!
Old 02-20-2021, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The terrain and flora of New Zealand are beautiful and diverse. I have been to and around both islands. The people are friendly and honest. Twenty five years ago I thought about buying some property there but never did as it was a long, long flight from LAX. One can even get a reverse mortgage down there! Borrowing against the value of your home | New Zealand Government
If there is a next lifetime - I would NOT mind being stationed in New Zealand!
Old 02-20-2021, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
True. The disparity in wealth in the US has never been greater. The Corporations LOVE to lay-off or fire as many workers as possible. Labor is just their biggest cost, which they want to make as low as possible. Corporations can often substitute capital equipment for labor. Machines do NOT need lunch and coffee breaks. They do NOT need health care, daycare, paid time off, and etc. Wall Street rewards Corporations when they cut their workforce. That is one of the many reasons why I scratch my head at the wisdom of any immigration (legal or otherwise). The US is no longer a frontier nation. Andrew Yang said to be prepared for 30 % UNEMPLOYMENT in the US. We could end up with a whole young generation with no outlet for their energy except drugs and crime to supplement their boredom. It IS very possible and the CV plague has exasperated things. WE are in a strange and potentially dangerous time period in history. Citizens and government at all levels need to make good decisions and quick action in order to solve these many problems BEFORE they "fester" beyond control and become unsolvable. Even a little thing like this forum can help or hinder by making accurate and true information available and disseminated. I TRY (?) to be on the help side of that equation!
To your point, I believe the past year, and the next year are going to have a profound affect on this country, economically, socially and much more.

Crucial time for sure
Old 02-20-2021, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Interesting handful of posts & how they relay to Boomer's......... Almost not moving here; Homo's; White Honda; Smarter than me; Secondary teacher; Horrified; Emoji's.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I avoided this discussion item, but after reading (and skimming) the comments I think all of my comments were already made. In
my posts, I have tried to avoid making negative comments, although I do remember a few that were misinterpreted.

As many of you are aware, I read this site to help people, and not debate, so today, 3 clocks fixed, 1 pinball machine, 1 new friend made, and I figured why some outside lights were failing, a good day.

I will continue to look the site over for people needing help. I have learned that the newer houses have some significant differences and some of my "knowledge" is not applicable, so I have been gaining knowledge also.

I tend to stop reading a thread as soon as I see the negative comments start, and have gone to the point of blocking some people based on comments made. I agree that it would be real nice if some of the comments would be toned down.

Anyway just my thoughts, VT.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I avoided this discussion item, but after reading (and skimming) the comments I think all of my comments were already made. In my posts, I have tried to avoid making negative comments, although I do remember a few that were misinterpreted.As many of you are aware, I read this site to help people, and not debate, so today, 3 clocks fixed, 1 pinball machine, 1 new friend made, and I figured why some outside lights were failing, a good day.I will continue to look the site over for people needing help. I have learned that the newer houses have some significant differences and some of my "knowledge" is not applicable, so I have been gaining knowledge also.I tend to stop reading a thread as soon as I see the negative comments start, and have gone to the point of blocking some people based on comments made. I agree that it would be real nice if some of the comments would be toned down.Anyway just my thoughts, VT.
Tink, you are one of the owners of ToTV and are always welcome and appreciated.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
If there is a next lifetime - I would NOT mind being stationed in New Zealand!
JJ
There is a next lifetime...................so much better than NZ.

Tags
totv, posts, time, kidding, stuff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.