The Tone of TOTV and A Bit of Boomer's Bio

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2021, 09:23 AM

Boomer, I think TOTV has become another victim to the already scorched image called social media.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I still like my idea of a daily post limit. lol

We have so many power posters that are "passionate" about certain subjects
that they spend their entire day replying to every post in every thread on their chosen subject. Whether it be Covid. Whether it be County Commissioners, local tax/impact fees, anti developer rants, etc. Give them 10 posts a day. If they can't get their point across in that many posts, come back tomorrow and try again.

Then we have the soapbox preachers spouting off whatever ideology they feel that we should all aspire to on any given day.

Granted, it seems people have a lot more time on their hands these days, but for goodness sakes, take up a hobby other than social media..
Covid passionate - guilty as charged!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,594 Times in 1,759 Posts

My ignore list has grown over the years. I love that feature and use it!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-19-2021, 09:53 AM

Agreed, thank you.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:54 AM

At least we can pick and choose which posts
we care to read. It is sad that we in this democracy can not discuss and disagree respectfully. Hang in there. Hopefully common sense and kindness will prevail.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

I am impressed how easily many have CHOSEN to believe the relatively small percent of participants on TOTV, are representative of The Villages as a whole.

TOTV has some 25,000 registered. Out of that number less than one percent are active posters/participants.?

Measure that number as a percent of total villages population results in two tenths of one percent.

The above are approximates but close on the whole.

Hence opinions on TOTV are insignificant in the overall.......while meaningful to some.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:03 AM
Default Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ahem. I sort of think using the sentence above is being highly critical of others.............

P.S. Is Pucklebalk a new game?

I know. That was a jab and unnecessary .....But I want to point out once more that it is almost ten percent who die from Covid-19 if they contract it in my age bracket. NOT ONE PERCENT.

AND I have never "cowered in fear". I decided to try to protect myself from getting sick until the vaccine came to us. I was busy and satisfied in my lovely home in this beautiful place with interaction daily with my friends and family on Facebook.
Well said. I believe the anonymity of our posts is a key reason for the incivility and name calling, e.g. accusing those who believe this is a deadly pandemic and act accordingly "cower in fear". Those are the kinds of statements someone would probably not say to my face or if they signed their name.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Must be the proliferation of available media that allow lies and untruths to be passed on, with never fear of accountability for hate and lying.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I am impressed how easily many have CHOSEN to believe the relatively small percent of participants on TOTV, are representative of The Villages as a whole.

TOTV has some 25,000 registered. Out of that number less than one percent are active posters/participants.?

Measure that number as a percent of total villages population results in two tenths of one percent.

The above are approximates but close on the whole.

Hence opinions on TOTV are insignificant in the overall.......while meaningful to some.
When I mention Talk of the Villages to some people they still do not know what it is. This has been common since I joined in 2007. TOTV Eternal member, Donna, lived down the street from me and would often go to Crisper's meetings about the same time I did. She was married to a helicopter pilot if memory serves. But not many here in my section of Lynnhaven knew about Talk of the Villages.

Donna passed around 2011 or so and I still miss her presence in the neighborhood and on Talk of the Villages. She was very big into ghosts and the like so maybe in some form she is still around.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:09 AM
Default Margaret Chase Smith

I'm glad I took the time to read your post. It encouraged me to look up Senator Smith's speech. It certainly is applicable in today's world.
Take the time to really look around as you pass through The Villages. It truly is a special place with good people. It's also a lot warmer than Indiana right now.
Have fun!
Old 02-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Yeah, I used to be passionate about things.

"Ah but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now."

Besides, if we leave a perfect world for our children, they will get really bored.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM

While I have only been a member of TOTV for a few years, I have noticed that several folks will ask for a reference when an outrageous assertion is made. While it hasn't eliminated the comments, it does bring a focus onto the validity of the post. Unfortunately, there is something about human nature that allows some individuals to spew nastiness when done as an anonymous post. This was true when I first looked at the internet in pre World Wide Web days and it is true today. I can't control the actions of anyone else (especially not my kids!) but I can only try to model the behavior I wish to see in others. Please stay active - the TOTV community needs you.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:28 AM

I am on many Forums (College, Former Employer, Organizations, etc)

I am on TOTV primarily to get the flavor of entertainment, travel, local sight seeing, restaurants, new businesses, life in The Villages, etc.)

And I can say that all of them have matched the Country in forming into 2 extreme sides(political sides). The sides are so extreme that all rules of fair play or respect are 100% gone. And everything (and I mean everything) has become political. Medicine, Opinions, Gender Identification, Climate, Fossil Fuels, Media, Race, I could name basically every subject in the dictionary are all now political and thus subject to one side attacking the other. If there is razor wire around the Capitol then there is razor wire between these two sides. I will not predict an outcome or suggest remedies because "There are two extreme sides and no need talking to the razor wire topped wall."
Old 02-19-2021, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The sentences below end Margeret Chase Smith's Declaration of Conscience.

I don’t like the way the Senate has been made a rendezvous for vilification, for selfish political gain at the sacrifice of individual reputations and national unity. I am not proud of the way we smear outsiders from the Floor of the Senate and hide behind the cloak of congressional immunity and still place ourselves beyond criticism on the Floor of the Senate.

As an American, I am shocked at the way Republicans and Democrats alike are playing directly into the Communist design of “confuse, divide and conquer.”

As an American, I don’t want a Democratic Administration “white wash” or “cover up” any more than I want a Republican smear or witch hunt. As an American, I condemn a Republican “Fascist” just as much as I condemn a Democrat “Communist.” They are equally dangerous to you and me and to our country.

As an American, I want to see our nation recapture the strength and unity it once had when we fought the enemy instead of ourselves.
She said it well......

"“Those of us who shout the loudest about Americanism in making character assassinations are all too frequently those who, by our own words and acts, ignore some of the basic principles of Americanism,” she continued:

“The right to criticize;

The right to hold unpopular beliefs;

The right to protest;

The right of independent thought.”

“The nation sorely needs a .... victory,” Smith adds later. “But I don’t want to see the .... Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny - Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.”
Old 02-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Boo hoo yes people say disgusting things on here,, but for somebody to feel there being bullied or attacked by a stranger that they don’t know, well if your that sensitive perhaps you should try scrapbooking or flower arrangements instead of having your feelings hurt on this site
Closed Thread

Tags
totv, posts, time, kidding, stuff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.