Percentage of lawn to lot

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Gold member
Default Percentage of lawn to lot

I've posted a message on Landscaping issues, but perhaps I should put my request here, instead
I want to have my "lawn" (its a fancy name for dead grass and thatch) removed and create a sand/pebble garden (Zen, sort of thing). How much sand can I have instead of grass? Appreciate your input. Sandra
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I believe that is something TV has to prior approve????
Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Gold member

You should be able to find your answer here or at least find a phone number to call: http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...standards.aspx

Xavier
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Don't turn yourself in for having a dead lawn. You want to setup a low water usage yard.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

There are two houses (Ranch homes, I believe) that have no grass, just river rock or whatever you call it. I didn't know you could do this but I have seen it. They are both on Blythewood Loop in the villages of Sunset Pointe. Don't have the addresses offhand.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
I've posted a message on Landscaping issues, but perhaps I should put my request here, instead
I want to have my "lawn" (its a fancy name for dead grass and thatch) removed and create a sand/pebble garden (Zen, sort of thing). How much sand can I have instead of grass? Appreciate your input. Sandra
Due to the projected shortage of aquifer water have been TOLD (but do not know for sure) that there are florida laws that overide all HOA local laws allowing any owner to remove 100% all grass, plants etc that require water.

Could be wrong but we could sure use some serious rain here.

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/na...y/aquifers.htm
Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Similar situation at a designer home located at 1500-something Golden Ridge Drive, Sunset Pointe: front yard had no grass at all, and a circular concrete driveway.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Platinum member

A number of years ago I submitted a plan for landscaping. It was approved subject to the "Guidelines for Sod Removal" letter. That letter stated, in part, "Twenty five percent of your lot (exclusive of home, driveway and walkways) may be other than sod".

That was some time ago and there may have been changes.

Note the little loop hole. "Exclusive of walkways." It is conceivable one could add numerous walkways to the point there would be little space left to apply the 75/25 rule.

I would hope that the seriousness of our water shortage would preclude any restrictions on reducing the area needing water. We must get over our love affair with a lush green lawn. Stones are starting to look pretty good.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM

51% must be in sod (except villas).
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM

I checked the covenants for my section that I agreed to when I purchased and found:

"2.7 In an effort to protect limited natural resources, all Homesites shall remain finished with the same quantity and style of water-conservative, drought-tolerant sod and landscape as originally provided by the Developer. Notwithstanding, Owners are encouraged to and may add landscape that is more water-conservative and drought-tolerant than originally provided, however, any such alterations to areas visible from roadways or golf courses must receive prior written approval from Developer. "Each Home and Homesite must contain a concrete driveway, and a lamppost must be erected in the front yard of each Homesite.

It replaced:

"2.7 Each Home and Homesite must contain a concrete driveway, the lawn must be sodded and a lamppost erected in the front yard of each Homesite. To qualify as sodded, at least 51% of the yard area visible from all adjacent roadways and golf courses must be sodded"

Interesting ... now some Owners may have gotten approval from the Developer and some Owners may have ignored their promise to abide by the covenants and not gotten caught and some Owners may have made changes that conformed to the covenants ... FWIW
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.