TOTV and me

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Sage
Default TOTV and me

Boy Howdy, getting to TOTV these last 2 days has been like the old days of dial-up. You wait, and you wait and finally you give up and walk away and when you come back in an hour whoopee, there it is. I know it's nobody's fault, there just isn't enough band width to accommodate all the would-be posters. And we love them all, every one of 'em.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Default Sloooow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Boy Howdy, getting to TOTV these last 2 days has been like the old days of dial-up. You wait, and you wait and finally you give up and walk away and when you come back in an hour whoopee, there it is. I know it's nobody's fault, there just isn't enough band width to accommodate all the would-be posters. And we love them all, every one of 'em.
I agree the past few days TOTV has been very slow to respond. It is annoying so I give up. I don't want to wait forever to change pages or wait for the page to load. My other websites load and respond just fine so I go there.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Thanks----was wondering what was the problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Sage

I went thru the same problem the past 2 days. Many times it wasn't only slow but said that the web site wasn't responding.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

Does this mean it will continue to get worse? I am using back door and anything to get on. Can the admin please respond? Is there a plan to fix this and increase the number of people who can access it? If I can get on other sites with large numbers of poster, it must be fixable. Of course it may be a matter of money, which I would understand.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Email Reported As Spam

What's a back door?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
What's a back door?
A backdoor in a computer system (or cryptosystem or algorithm) is a method of bypassing normal authentication, securing illegal remote access to a computer, obtaining access to plaintext, and so on, while attempting to remain undetected. The backdoor may take the form of an installed program (e.g., Back Orifice) or may subvert the system through a rootkit.

(Note: I found this on Wikipedia and don't understand it either.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie shooter View Post
a backdoor in a computer system (or cryptosystem or algorithm) is a method of bypassing normal authentication, securing illegal remote access to a computer, obtaining access to plaintext, and so on, while attempting to remain undetected. The backdoor may take the form of an installed program (e.g., back orifice) or may subvert the system through a rootkit.

clear as mud
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

ditto here on the slow .....no I will say no loading of TOTV yesterday afternoon and again today.

And now the so called home page seems like the deck has been shuffled.

btk
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Sage

Huh?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

For me TOTV essentially disappears right after noon. It's then unaccessible until approximately 7pm. It works fine in the morning as well. I've gotten..no connection..website not found..or it just tries & tries & tries to connect. It can't be bandwidth because if it was, there would be problems all the time, not just one general time of day.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
A backdoor in a computer system (or cryptosystem or algorithm) is a method of bypassing normal authentication, securing illegal remote access to a computer, obtaining access to plaintext, and so on, while attempting to remain undetected. The backdoor may take the form of an installed program (e.g., Back Orifice) or may subvert the system through a rootkit.

(Note: I found this on Wikipedia and don't understand it either.
Probably the simplest application and/or explanation of the term "back door" is to have a confidential master password to enter a large computer system where many passwords with individually differing access capabilities have been issued. The master password I'm referring to is privy to only administrators on a need to have basis so they can access all restricted and unrestricted areas and functions of the computers various systems and data bases.

There was one incident where I became involved with a back door password during my career with the NYS DMV. In my early years I was a computer operator before moving on to an issuing office supervisor. Most data processing personnel knew me for quite some time after I left, and they had a sense of trust in my having been one of them.

One day it was imperative that something get fixed and had to be done quickly. No administrators were at my location to do the fix, so the data processing administrator decided to give my the backdoor password so I could get in to make the fix (under his guidance) that they couldn't do remotely. The fix was quickly made and a lot of inconvenience to the public was averted.

Unfortunately, the administrator that decided to trust me was later reprimanded by upper management for compromising the confidential password. They then had to go through whatever process was necessary to replace the master back door password. Guess the uppity uppers didn't trust me as much as the one I was working with did!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

For what we have to pay to use this site it is a bargain,,,, just maybe income is not supporting costs an it cost $$$ to buy more bandwidth,,, i guess if we were contrbuting $$$ we wuld have reason to complain,, however we dont donate anything , so all of us freeloaders are very greatful for this site!!! Thanks to the admins!!! We love u
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Definitely a problem somewhere. I'm sure they will sort it out as soon as possible. It has been hit and miss the last few days. It either loads immediately...or won't let me in at all.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
For what we have to pay to use this site it is a bargain,,,, just maybe income is not supporting costs an it cost $$$ to buy more bandwidth,,, i guess if we were contrbuting $$$ we wuld have reason to complain,, however we dont donate anything , so all of us freeloaders are very greatful for this site!!! Thanks to the admins!!! We love u
I so agree with the second part of your post.

I am sure that the unseen people who so carefully monitor this forum are putting all of their efforts to correcting this problem. It must be because so many of us want to use the forum that we have overloaded it.

I think it is my fault..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.