Totv is not congress

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Platinum member
Default Totv is not congress

A thread that started at 6:22 pm last night with 58 posts (the latest at 9:13 this morning) has just been closed. It made me wonder what are the rules/parameters for closing a thread?

I did a search and found the obvious opinions/speculations. Some sound reasonable, others don’t fit a consistent formula such as “…after 6 months” or “…when there are not more posters”, etc. So I read the Talk of the Villages Website Guidelines and Rules. While it didn’t answer my question with the degree of specificity I prefer, I found the following salient points helpful.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...p?pageid=rules

Extracts from Talk of the Villages Website Guidelines and Rules

Content: Talk of the Villages website is created to be an online community for The Villages Florida residents and those seeking information on The Villages Florida community and lifestyle.

Me: I think we sometimes forget about those seeking information are not yet insiders and so the attempt is to always present in a positive albeit some may think Pollyannish way.

Politics: Talk of the Villages presently has an unmoderated opt-in forum dedicated to political discussions. Member identification is masked as 'guest' to discourage personal attacks and emphasize discussion of topics and not personalities. The owners of Talk of the Villages retain the right to discontinue the political forum at any time.

Me: Yes, I know this has been discontinued. I didn't find the political thread until long after we had moved here. Initially I found it so disturbing that in fact, it made me wonder whether we had made the right choice. (Obviously I got over it but it was chilling to me).

Keep it PG-rated and positive: The community of Talk of the Villages is based upon "Florida’s Friendliest Retirement Hometown".

Me: See my response to Content above.

Inappropriate Word Usage: The Talk of the Villages message boards have a censor that removes inappropriate words and replaces them with ***. Do not attempt to bypass the censor by misspelling inappropriate words. They will be edited and your account will be subject to point infractions being issued and possible banning.

Me: I understand the desire to keep TOTV "clean" and avoid 4-letter words that may be offensive to some.

Chatter/Thread Hijacking: We ask you keep private conversations that appear to be "private conversations" in PM or IM so as not to exclude other members or imply a culture of cliques on the site.

Me: I frequently want to engage a little more with individuals
about their posts and don't feel it to be "exclusionary" but rules are rules.

Public Flames/Hot Topics: Please refrain from posting messages that contain potential hot topics known as polarizing arguments. A tone of "kindness" is appreciated for all discussions.

Me: Perhaps the thread appeared to be departing from that "tone of kindness"? I didn't find that to be the case but some of us have thicker skin than others.

Informational links: We allow you to add informational/educational links in reply to a support request thread only if the link goes to a non-commercial site.

Me: I guess this explains why we can not refer to that online news site that can not be mentioned? Although I can't help laughing whenever I read "that site that can not be mentioned".

Moving posts/Closing Threads: … moderators may close any thread at any time when it is deemed to be hopelessly off topic, too inflammatory, topic/question thoroughly answered, or information has become dated or debunked.

Me: Obviously moderators have a wide discretionary berth.

Freedom of Speech: Although the Constitution of the US guarantees that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, Talk of the Villages is not Congress. Freedom of speech rights do not extend to this privately owned website.

Me: This one says it all.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
A thread that started at 6:22 pm last night with 58 posts (the latest at 9:13 this morning) has just been closed. It made me wonder what are the rules/parameters for closing a thread?

I did a search and found the obvious opinions/speculations. Some sound reasonable, others don’t fit a consistent formula such as “…after 6 months” or “…when there are not more posters”, etc. So I read the Talk of the Villages Website Guidelines and Rules. While it didn’t answer my question with the degree of specificity I prefer, I found the following salient points helpful.

Content: Talk of the Villages website is created to be an online community for The Villages Florida residents and those seeking information on The Villages Florida community and lifestyle.

Me: I think we sometimes forget about those seeking information are not yet insiders and so the attempt is to always present in a positive albeit some may think Pollyannish way.

Politics: Talk of the Villages presently has an unmoderated opt-in forum dedicated to political discussions. Member identification is masked as 'guest' to discourage personal attacks and emphasize discussion of topics and not personalities. The owners of Talk of the Villages retain the right to discontinue the political forum at any time.

Me: Yes, I know this has been discontinued. I didn't find the political thread until long after we had moved here. Initially I found it so disturbing that in fact, it made me wonder whether we had made the right choice. (Obviously I got over it but it was chilling to me).

Keep it PG-rated and positive: The community of Talk of the Villages is based upon "Florida’s Friendliest Retirement Hometown".

Inappropriate Word Usage: The Talk of the Villages message boards have a censor that removes inappropriate words and replaces them with ***. Do not attempt to bypass the censor by misspelling inappropriate words. They will be edited and your account will be subject to point infractions being issued and possible banning.

Me: I understand the desire to keep TOTV "clean" and avoid 4-letter words that may be offensive to some.

Chatter/Thread Hijacking: We ask you keep private conversations that appear to be "private conversations" in PM or IM so as not to exclude other members or imply a culture of cliques on the site.

Public Flames/Hot Topics: Please refrain from posting messages that contain potential hot topics known as polarizing arguments. A tone of "kindness" is appreciated for all discussions.

Me: Perhaps the thread appeared to be departing from that "tone of kindness"? I didn't find that to be the case but some of us have thicker skin than others.

Informational links: We allow you to add informational/educational links in reply to a support request thread only if the link goes to a non-commercial site.

Me: I guess this explains why we can not refer to that online news site that can not be mentioned? Although I can't help laughing whenever I read "that site that can not be mentioned".

Moving posts/Closing Threads: … moderators may close any thread at any time when it is deemed to be hopelessly off topic, too inflammatory, topic/question thoroughly answered, or information has become dated or debunked.

Freedom of Speech: Although the Constitution of the US guarantees that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, Talk of the Villages is not Congress. Freedom of speech rights do not extend to this privately owned website.

I like you girl. You are a smart cookie. Wish you lived where we could engage each other in conversation.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

And it is my understanding that some of the problem "children" that post, are also moderators, which adds another element to to the mix. They can close threads that don't match their point of view.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Congress has 535 members that are full of themselves..... we have a lot less.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
And it is my understanding that some of the problem "children" that post, are also moderators, which adds another element to to the mix. They can close threads that don't match their point of view.
Think you might be on too something there!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Carefull..............
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Think you might be on too something there!
I had one post removed instantly, within 2 minutes of posting which proved to me who one of the Chiefs is.

It's just the way the cookie crumbles, it is disappointing sometimes for sure. Mrs. BK for President!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Carefull..............
Bogie Shooter you are correct, careful is the way to express yourself about this but I think Love2Swim was to the point and tasteful.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I had one post removed instantly, within 2 minutes of posting which proved to me who one of the Chiefs is.

It's just the way the cookie crumbles, it is disappointing sometimes for sure. Mrs. BK for President!
Do you think the Chief is related to an Admiral?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:07 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Although I can't help laughing whenever I read "that site that can not be mentioned".
This always makes me think of Harry Potter
Old 10-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This always makes me think of Harry Potter
Love Harry Potter. There were so many Harry Potter questions on FunTrivia that I had to watch the movies several times and also read some of the books because of all the Quizzes on Harry Potter.

Not sure where this thread is going nor if it will stay visible.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Who do y'all think are moderators? I knew one for a fact more than ten years ago, but she isn't anymore. She was from Atlanta and might have known the owner .

One person has been very quiet as of late that I even thought he might be ill, but he still posts. Who? Who do you think is the moddie? How did Love2Swim "come to her understanding"????? I sure would like to know. Some moddies are very slow to delete and others delete a lot and some let threads go on and on and others shut them down ...bang.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
While technically they can, have they done so?
If so, please cite example.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Who do y'all think are moderators? I knew one for a fact more than ten years ago, but she isn't anymore. She was from Atlanta and might have known the owner .

One person has been very quiet as of late that I even thought he might be ill, but he still posts. Who? Who do you think is the moddie? How did Love2Swim "come to her understanding"????? I sure would like to know. Some moddies are very slow to delete and others delete a lot and some let threads go on and on and others shut them down ...bang.
No, no Gracie it’s......
Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Have to say GG is right some are quick to close a thread and sometimes a thread that has gone off the rails never gets closed. it’s unimportant to me who is a mod

Last edited by thelegges; 10-14-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, talk, thread, rules, site

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.