Totv is not congress

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Platinum member
Cool It seemed to me..........

The first few times I encountered a closed thread, it seemed to me that someone had just attacked my position, and I had prepared a detailed, logical rebuttal.............but couldn't post it because the thread was closed.

It happened so often that I just adjusted to the fact that I wouldn't be getting the last (and correct) word. Oh well.......
Old 10-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,501 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The first few times I encountered a closed thread, it seemed to me that someone had just attacked my position, and I had prepared a detailed, logical rebuttal.............but couldn't post it because the thread was closed.

It happened so often that I just adjusted to the fact that I wouldn't be getting the last (and correct) word. Oh well.......
There are about a half dozen people on this forum that I NEVER disagree with. You are one of them. I do love to get into an interesting debate.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Oh the intrigue.

I'm betting that all of the mods/admins are out enjoying the day, or I'm thinking that this thread...would have already been closed.

As I've been told, the mods are unscheduled, unpaid volunteers, so a lack of action on a particular thread...usually just means no one is around.

And of course, discussing moderation...is one of TOTV's big no-no's.

Maybe (hopefully) they'll leave this one open for a while though...for the entertainment factor.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage

TOTV site wouldn't need moderators if users mastered the art of stating their opinion without marginalizing another persons point of view or attacking them personally. That seems to be the number one cause of causing threads to close.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but in today's social media whirl, one must make sure their brain is engaged before hitting the send button. I always think of how I would feel if I hurt some other persons feelings or my own, over the lack of civiilty but that's me.

My guess is some people post when angry and seem to not care where the dust settles. Some people's humor is lost in the written word sometimes, unless one takes time to know that person. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
TOTV site wouldn't need moderators if users mastered the art of stating their opinion without marginalizing another persons point of view or attacking them personally. That seems to be the number one cause of causing threads to close.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but in today's social media whirl, one must make sure their brain is engaged before hitting the send button. I always think of how I would feel if I hurt some other persons feelings or my own, over the lack of civiilty but that's me.

My guess is some people post when angry and seem to not care where the dust settles. Some people's humor is lost in the written word sometimes, unless one takes time to know that person. IMHO

In addition to everyone having the right to their own opinion, trying not to constantly assert some type of superiority (based on a myriad of criteria) of ones own opinion...would also help.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

The Bonefish thread quickly veered off-topic into discussing one poster's opinions about restaurants rather than the restaurant itself. Often they do, but it would help to always get a note about why a thread was closed, just for learning purposes.

Since Usenet, it has always been thus that members of online discussion boards fuss about the moderation. :-)
Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Anyone ever do a search on who was the last poster before a thread was shut down ?
Old 10-14-2018, 06:11 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread is closed. There is a lot of good information in the first post. There are good comments about disagreeing without being disagreeable. There are some comments publicly questioning the moderator actions which is a violation of the site guidelines and those will cause a post/thread to be removed. Members can use the PM function to contact the mods about any action taken.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
And it is my understanding that some of the problem "children" that post, are also moderators, which adds another element to to the mix. They can close threads that don't match their point of view.
Love2Swim - This is not the case. There are multiple moderators and any action taken is visible by all the moderators, staff of TOTV and owners. All moderation is done in accord with the site rules. If a site rule is not violated the post does NOT get moderated.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, talk, thread, rules, site

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.