TOTV - Policy re: Non Advertisers

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Default TOTV - Policy re: Non Advertisers

Seems to be a lot of discussion about people having posts edited or removed because they offer the name and or phone number of businesses that do not advertise on TOTV, ie., recent thread about Golf Cart Repair.

What am I missing when I see numerous referrals for Drs., Dentists, Landscape Contractors etc., many of whom advertise in the Daily Sun but are not TOTV advertisers.

It shouldn't be both ways. Either you should or should not be able to publish business names and phone numbers for folks who do not advertise on TOTV.

If non advertisers are banned in one case they should be banned in all cases. If such is not the case, as it appears to be, I'd be interested in knowing the criteria that differentiates between banned and not banned business referrals.

If indeed they should all be banned, the value of TOTV to the community would be greatly diminished.

The line should be drawn at businesses that toot their own horns to drum up business for themselves. Third party referrals and recommendations should not be edited, censored or eliminated if their only purpose is to respond to inquiries made by TOTV members.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

As I understand it if a business trys to solicit customers on TOTV without advertising then there numbers and information is banned when people recommend them. If a business does not solicit or advertise and folks recommend them, that's OK.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Every day there are recommendations made for services. If a user wants to recommend a company and their services and there are no connections to this business or financial gain from it the recommendation is welcome. These recommendations are not deleted or moderated.

If someone is going to personally or financially benefit by the post it would be considered a commercial post. Advertisers pay to promote their business here and that is what supports the cost of operating the site. To commercially post without being an advertiser is stealing from the site and those contributing advertisers and sponsors here.

Only 2 businesses have a ban on the site for good reason out of the hundreds or thousands that have been posted.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Every day there are recommendations made for services. If a user wants to recommend a company and their services and there are no connections to this business or financial gain from it the recommendation is welcome. These recommendations are not deleted or moderated.

If someone is going to personally or financially benefit by the post it would be considered a commercial post. Advertisers pay to promote their business here and that is what supports the cost of operating the site. To commercially post without being an advertiser is stealing from the site and those contributing advertisers and sponsors here.

Only 2 businesses have a ban on the site for good reason out of the hundreds or thousands that have been posted.
I have no interest, financial or otherwise in ********. Yet, I can't recommend them or even send a member a PM with that name. Why won't you let his business be mentioned?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Yes they are 1 of the 2 businesses to ever have a ban like this.

I posted an explanation in your other post.

Golf car repair story
Old 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM

I mentioned ******** and it was deleted. Is this the other company that was banned?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Thumbs up Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
The line should be drawn at businesses that toot their own horns to drum up business for themselves. Third party referrals and recommendations should not be edited, censored or eliminated if their only purpose is to respond to inquiries made by TOTV members.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
I mentioned ******** and it was deleted. Is this the other company that was banned?
Yes GeorgeT that is #2.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Third party referrals and recommendations should not be edited, censored or eliminated if their only purpose is to respond to inquiries made by TOTV members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Agree that has been and will continue to be our position outside of these 2 businesses.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Default Banned Businesses

Admin, now that you've furnished an explanation about why the first business got banned, could you please do the same for the second business?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't feel we need to know why a business is banned. That could open the owners to a defamation suit.

I am annoyed at people who post about how they like so and so's housekeeping service or dog sitting service or downspout service and THAT is all they post about and they have eight or nine posts about it.

It seems to me that person is the one that owns the business and they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes by appearing to say they like the services.

I am all for people who share when they truly have had a great experience with a contractor.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

When members of the asylum get too much information, they start to go crazy.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage

I think we sometimes forget that this is a free site for users ... Because businesses are advertising here. I appreciate the fact that the Admin offers TOTV to members with no charge, and I respect any decisions he makes.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't feel we need to know why a business is banned. That could open the owners to a defamation suit.

I am annoyed at people who post about how they like so and so's housekeeping service or dog sitting service or downspout service and THAT is all they post about and they have eight or nine posts about it.

It appears to me that they are trying to get free advertising and that doesn't seem fair.
I fully agree. As for the housekeeping thread, that's another place where I could see the owner using his discretion on whether to maintain someone's posting privileges.

Is that fair? Sure. This site is a business. I don't presume as a customer that I can make the rules for Macy's, nor do I presume as a poster, that I can make the rules for TOTV. In either case, if I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth, I'm free to leave. (Oh yeah, this site is FREE, thanks to admins making good business decisions.)

So sure, for example, the owner has a right to suspend privileges if he so chooses of someone who shows up and posts and bumps and posts about housekeeping services and nothing else. If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck and walks like a duck...

As an aside on the housekeeping thread, many of us are smart enough not to act soley upon the advice of people who's only discernable agenda is to promote a certain business.

Last edited by Pturner; 08-28-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error and added something
Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think we sometimes forget that this is a free site for users ... Because businesses are advertising here. I appreciate the fact that the Admin offers TOTV to members with no charge, and I respect any decisions he makes.
ditto that.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.