TOTV Transparency and Moderators

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Default TOTV Transparency and Moderators

Wondering what the TOTV community thinks about the lack of transparency of the TOTV moderators.

I respectfully questioned a poster on Sunday about why they felt the need to create a post that raised a discriminatory perspective on a topic that added no value to the TOTV community. Right after making the comment, I noticed the post was closed which was good. But now I see my comment was deleted; however the thread remains.

I have a suspicion that the moderator was the poster or a very good friend of the poster based on a similar action I have seen in the past.

Should the moderators identity be known and should they have unilateral ability to delete whatever they want.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Sage

********thread closed******
Old 09-11-2018, 12:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...p?pageid=rules

or

Urban Dictionary: I'm going to take my ball and go home!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

CWGUY wrapped up the answer to all posting questions with his Post. It is a better place now that the personal attacks have stopped and I had asked for the main problem, The Dreaded Political Forum to return several months back and I'm glad the Almighty Oz decided against doing so. Let's keep All Political and heavy religious talk private so we can exist peacefully. To the OP. Those rules probably cover the problem you had and you may be partially correct but they hold the hammer, not us.

I was heated when my first post was deleted but people better than I have it happen to them all the time.

I didn't see your problem post but as you become known on TOTV
you may prevail in the same type of post when you have more posts than now. I would think that's why they keep track of the number which I became aware of a short time back.

So don't let it discourage you, carry on and Welcome.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Wondering what the TOTV community thinks about the lack of transparency of the TOTV moderators...Should the moderators identity be known and should they have unilateral ability to delete whatever they want.
It is not a responsibility I would want and, while they may make the occasional "odd" decision, I am happy with the work that they do anonymously behind the scenes.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Personally, I don’t like anonymous moderators — it really does give them too much power IMO. I used to own a parenting forum (sold it when my daughter got older, still active and thriving). Each forum had its own moderator. This kept the moderators from being overwhelmed. But all moderators were listed as such so that members could contact them as necessary. They could post under their moderator name or another ID if they liked. Like here, personal attacks were removed as soon as spotted. Unless the OP specifically requested a thread be closed, we let it run whether it went off course or not. I like a lot about the way this site is run but not everything.

I do miss the Political Forum and I hope it comes back one day but only if it is moderated. Got way too ugly.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-11-2018, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Wondering what the TOTV community thinks about the lack of transparency of the TOTV moderators.

I respectfully questioned a poster on Sunday about why they felt the need to create a post that raised a discriminatory perspective on a topic that added no value to the TOTV community. Right after making the comment, I noticed the post was closed which was good. But now I see my comment was deleted; however the thread remains.

I have a suspicion that the moderator was the poster or a very good friend of the poster based on a similar action I have seen in the past.

Should the moderators identity be known and should they have unilateral ability to delete whatever they want.
I am fine with the way it is. I violated the rules about six weeks ago and was given an infraction and banned for five days. I don't want to do THAT again. I very much enjoy the exchanges here and the fact that none of us can get too nasty or too hateful.

I have at least ten posts deleted a month, because I post a LOT. I have posted on this forum for ten years and have only known the identity of one moderator. She and the forum owner are both from Atlanta. She did a great job, but I am pretty sure she doesn't do it anymore. I have my suspicions sometimes there is a new moderator because the moderation will change a bit, tighten up or loosen up. I have always wondered if it is a paid job.

Hope I am not in trouble for all these thoughts. I haven't had coffee yet and if this is deleted, I need caffeine. It always hurts, to be deleted, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. But if a thread gets shut down because of your post, then you know you had your foot in it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-11-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1580143]I am fine with the way it is. I violated the rules about six weeks ago and was given an infraction and banned for five days. I don't want to do THAT again. I very much enjoy the exchanges here and the fact that none of us can get too nasty or too hateful.

GG.. WOW I can't imagine that you posted something that got you banned...lol great job and I'm sorry I missed that posting... you didn't say something negative about the villages did you...lol
Old 09-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Their game. Their rules. We can choose to play or choose to leave.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:01 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Their game. Their rules. We can choose to play or choose to leave.
Well said
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

I like the job Moderators do.

I've been kick off a few times.

I've been locked out a few times.

Sometimes, because of the extent of my communications with Moderators, I feel like I'm in a deep romantic relationship with them.

The site has rule, Moderators use their judgement to keep all us posters within a civil framework.

Hat off to all the M's.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 AM

I've had comments I've made deleted from threads with no explanation. I got over it. If an explanation were given, that would probably just start a useless argument over "that's not what I meant" or "that's not fair" or "I'm right and here's why". I'd rather have the mods than not have them, and I wouldn't want their job.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It is exciting while you are under the microscope with the Mods. One day my wife asked to join and as soon as I hit the enter button to set up a second account I got an infraction for having two accounts. I told the truth and the infraction was removed. I don't blame them one bit as they were doing their job and I know you're known by those you hang with. One of my friends was classified as not so good to them not me so I got what I deserved.

People are not civil in eye to eye conversations about politics so why would I think it could be handled properly from behind an anonymous keyboard. It would need to be Moderated around the clock, who would apply for the graveyard shift?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Having never had a post deleted...I'm not sure what y'all are talking about.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Having never had a post deleted...I'm not sure what y'all are talking about.

Well I guess we now know one of the Moderators ..... Sweet Polly Purebred!
Closed Thread

Tags
totv, poster, moderators, community, transparency

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.