TOTV is un-bearable

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2021, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
I got a point for calling out a ghoul
This is the third post I've read about points just today. What are these points all about?
Old 08-02-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
All this talk about high IQ's has me wondering if The Villages has a chapter of MENSA?
It'd be a party of one.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is the third post I've read about points just today. What are these points all about?
Getting called out by a moderate in a PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Haha, you're right. They want you to pay. I got - Impressive! You completed the test in: 6 m 7 s
That's faster than 97% of people tested.
Your strongest category is Pattern Recognition where you scored higher than 99% of people tested.
Well........I'm an analytical thinker! Who would have guessed?
Old 08-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Getting called out by a moderate in a PM.
Oh, thanks.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
And the 'usual suspects' who simply have to post their 1-5 words rsp or silly emoticons. Gets very old.
The few members that need to reply to each and every thread, have never written anything helpful or interesting need to join a few more TV clubs or golf more. Their posts are very tiring. I suspect that those that have to live with them are glad they found a hobby, thread crapping, so they get free time to enjoy their retirement and the many activities at TV.

Last edited by Seasonal; 08-04-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
The few members that need to reply to each and every thread, have never written anything helpful or interesting need to join a few more TV clubs or golf more. Their posts are very tiring. I suspect that those the have to live with them are glad that they found a hobby, thread crapping, so that they get free time to enjoy their retirement and the many activities at TV.
Consider the ignore feature……..
Old 08-05-2021, 07:34 AM

I am a new member of this forum. I am also involved in a very large golf forum and understand the idea of dealing with thousands of different personalities. On that forum there is a new politics and no COVID conversation in place because apparently the two cannot be separated.

I like this forum. With that said, in just two days of being a member, I already received a PM telling me that TV is mostly Red and bashing the former President. This person doesn't know my political thoughts, nor should they care. Just as I am not here to discuss that.

I long for the days that people didn't discuss it, because it brings out the worst in people.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Provide a suggested improvement

Difficulty for the Managers of The TOTV's is to not restrict free speech and at the same
time provide consequences for those that break the "spirit" of the purpose of TOTV's!
Personally I would like to see those who use the forum not to provide a constructive input to the point but rather a wise guy response which is intended to be what it is an abuse of the purpose of the respected forum in which serious people try to express ideas, help, opinions, etc etc. Those that try to violate this should after the first time cannot use the forum for 6 months and after that "never". I am sure those who are serious users for the purpose it was created would approve of this solution and rely on the Manager's judgements. I believe that after the first few examples of this consequence the wise guys will dry up!
Old 08-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
I am a new member of this forum. I am also involved in a very large golf forum and understand the idea of dealing with thousands of different personalities. On that forum there is a new politics and no COVID conversation in place because apparently the two cannot be separated.

I like this forum. With that said, in just two days of being a member, I already received a PM telling me that TV is mostly Red and bashing the former President. This person doesn't know my political thoughts, nor should they care. Just as I am not here to discuss that.

I long for the days that people didn't discuss it, because it brings out the worst in people.
I find history interesting. Not the stuff fed to us in politically corrected, public school indoctrination. So much of what we think are new problems, issues are historically very old. Most people think they have an opened mind. The key to starting an intense argument is just point out to them that their opened mind. They only see one side to every issue. In terms of history imagine, American Revolution, Civil War, WWI, great depression, WW2, Korean war, Vietnam, Cuban Missal crisis imagine any of these posters there. People have not changed as much as we think they have.

I may be lying to myself but, you learn more from people who disagree with you than from people who agree with you. Again, people and what they are. Most people choose to associate with people who agree with them. Most people are essentially talking to themselves.

Truth, sadly funny. About two years ago, I received an e-mail actually more than one, all my friends agree with me-I am unfriending you. Where we are and how we got here.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Difficulty for the Managers of The TOTV's is to not restrict free speech and at the same
time provide consequences for those that break the "spirit" of the purpose of TOTV's!
Personally I would like to see those who use the forum not to provide a constructive input to the point but rather a wise guy response which is intended to be what it is an abuse of the purpose of the respected forum in which serious people try to express ideas, help, opinions, etc etc. Those that try to violate this should after the first time cannot use the forum for 6 months and after that "never". I am sure those who are serious users for the purpose it was created would approve of this solution and rely on the Manager's judgements. I believe that after the first few examples of this consequence the wise guys will dry up!
Free speech has little to do with it.
Example. If you create a forum about horseback riding, and a new member joins and every post is about model airplanes, it would be easy to kindly say "this forum is not about that, and we kindly ask that you stay on topic".

Elimination of topics is more about staying on the topic at hand, rather than removing any pattern of free speech.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
So much of what we fight about are impossible to define. Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness. Catchy words but what do they mean? It would take books to discuss any of the three.

Freedom of the press? Freedom of information? There are hundreds of books on that subject as well.

"The Manager's judgements." I don't know but as this is open 24 hours a day seven days a week, I can't imagine there is only one manager. People being people, I will bet if there are two or three or whatever, they do not agree on every call.

HATE is a word used far too often by far too many people. I work hard to keep my HATE list empty. Right now it is empty. Unfortunately, there are several people pounding on the door, trying to get on the list.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
Free speech has little to do with it.
Example. If you create a forum about horseback riding, and a new member joins and every post is about model airplanes, it would be easy to kindly say "this forum is not about that, and we kindly ask that you stay on topic".

Elimination of topics is more about staying on the topic at hand, rather than removing any pattern of free speech.
As I've tried to state, important terms such as free speech, there is no shortage of books on the subject. A thread, a conversation must rely on words. Words are subject to interpretation. Assuming the point is true, "a new member," perhaps, someone needs to speak to them privately. Issues in public, written, are often not the best place or the best way to handle problems.

Staying on topic, another interesting concept. Reality does not happen as we must discuss it due to the limits of conversation, particularly written communication.
Reality happens all at once. We can only discuss one thing at a time but reality is not like that.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I don't need any points. I'm on a poster's hit list for being in a alleged conspiracy to overthrow the developer.

Last edited by Bilyclub; 08-05-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
As I've tried to state, important terms such as free speech, there is no shortage of books on the subject. A thread, a conversation must rely on words. Words are subject to interpretation. Assuming the point is true, "a new member," perhaps, someone needs to speak to them privately. Issues in public, written, are often not the best place or the best way to handle problems.

Staying on topic, another interesting concept. Reality does not happen as we must discuss it due to the limits of conversation, particularly written communication.
Reality happens all at once. We can only discuss one thing at a time but reality is not like that.
I definitely do not agree.
The other forum is about golf. We have specific rules eliminating any conversation about politics. Any posts about that are removed. With hundreds of thousands of readers, we are sure there are an angry few that do not like the policy, and for that we say the internet is a big place and while we aim to please all, its impossible. This forum is about the Villages. If people want to make it about covid, masks, politics, etc then they will find it no more useful than Facebook in short order.

It's a shame too, because there are thousands of great people in TV and most want to discuss the good and the bad about the area and not deal with that stuff on a message board like this.
Closed Thread

Tags
posts, totv, btw, masks, mind

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.