"tour de villages"

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Default "tour de villages"

Can anyone explain why hordes of bicyclists are allowed to ride on roads that have no bike or cart paths with 35 MPH speed limits posted? Personally I think they are a menace, not only to themselves but to all vehicles who are forever trying to avoid hitting them or risking accidents by trying to stay out of their way. Nowhere is this a bigger issue than on the many roundabouts in TV where these brightly clad daredevils seem to think they are the only one's on the road. While I do admit that they look lovely in their bright colored tour de france like outfits (way to tight for many of them) I am sure that some day, somewhere one of them is going to be on the wrong side of an accident caused by some poor soul trying to avoid them. If golf carts (except street legal) aren't allowed to travel on these roads why in world are these two wheeled wonders not prohibited.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Can anyone explain why hordes of bicyclists are allowed to ride on roads that have no bike or cart paths with 35 MPH speed limits posted? Personally I think they are a menace, not only to themselves but to all vehicles who are forever trying to avoid hitting them or risking accidents by trying to stay out of their way. Nowhere is this a bigger issue than on the many roundabouts in TV where these brightly clad daredevils seem to think they are the only one's on the road. While I do admit that they look lovely in their bright colored tour de france like outfits (way to tight for many of them) I am sure that some day, somewhere one of them is going to be on the wrong side of an accident caused by some poor soul trying to avoid them. If golf carts (except street legal) aren't allowed to travel on these roads why in world are these two wheeled wonders not prohibited.
Because we are a retirement community.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 PM

Bikes were around before cars........ ride your bike, live your life, share the road
Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 PM

The 35 MPH speed limit is the upper, not the lower, limit. You should not be travelling that fast if it is not safe to do so, such as there being slower road users in the vicinity.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM

They are allowed to ride on The Villages' roads and roads in Florida because that is the law in this state; they are allowed by law to ride on cart paths and multi-modal paths as well. If it's a problem, you need to take the lead and get a movement going to change the law.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Bosoxfan

Not only are we allowed on the roads but by law you're supposed to give us 3 feet of clearance!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=MrMark;447465]Can anyone explain why hordes of bicyclists are allowed to ride on roads that have no bike or cart paths with 35 MPH speed limits posted? Personally I think they are a menace...QUOTE]

These "problems" arise because people neglect to do their homework before coming to The Villages.

It is a golf cart-friendly, active retirement community, so you are bound to come across slower vehicles and people exercising.

If all you want to do when you retire is speed from one Burger King to another then find a NASCAR-friendly community for couch potatoes.

Clearly The Villages is not for you, but please don't expect the 70,000 people here to change just to suit your desired lifestyle.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 AM

[quote=cybermuda;447606]
Quote:
Can anyone explain why hordes of bicyclists are allowed to ride on roads that have no bike or cart paths with 35 MPH speed limits posted? Personally I think they are a menace...QUOTE]

These "problems" arise because people neglect to do their homework before coming to The Villages.

It is a golf cart-friendly, active retirement community, so you are bound to come across slower vehicles and people exercising.

If all you want to do when you retire is speed from one Burger King to another then find a NASCAR-friendly community for couch potatoes.

Clearly The Villages is not for you, but please don't expect the 70,000 people here to change just to suit your desired lifestyle.
Bravo!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Bosoxfan

:BigApplau se::BigAppl ause:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[quote=cybermuda;447606]
Quote:
Can anyone explain why hordes of bicyclists are allowed to ride on roads that have no bike or cart paths with 35 MPH speed limits posted? Personally I think they are a menace...QUOTE]

Well said
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What's the rush?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage

I wonder if MrMark is from an urban area as the posts, to me, show an individual who is accustomed to rushing about. I came to TV from So. California and spent many years moving quickly, whether is was on the freeways, or side streets when the freeways were backed up. We walked fast, talked fast, did everything fast. Speed limits were a "suggestion" for many. I remember being on a freeway with a speed limit of 65, in traffic moving at 75, and having people pass me as if I were stopped. Gaining a car length in rush hour was a commuting victory.

It took me a while after moving here to really slow down. I mean REALLY slow down in both actions and attitude.

Just sayin'.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM

My hubby used to ride his bike in the outskirts of our city. It had become so dangerous because people didn't feel they should share the road.

We hope that when we arrive in TV forever that hubby can once again ride his bike again and get those terrific Dr. reports that he once had.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I wonder if MrMark is from an urban area as the posts, to me, show an individual who is accustomed to rushing about. I came to TV from So. California and spent many years moving quickly, whether is was on the freeways, or side streets when the freeways were backed up. We walked fast, talked fast, did everything fast. Speed limits were a "suggestion" for many. I remember being on a freeway with a speed limit of 65, in traffic moving at 75, and having people pass me as if I were stopped. Gaining a car length in rush hour was a commuting victory.

It took me a while after moving here to really slow down. I mean REALLY slow down in both actions and attitude.

Just sayin'.
Not one of you has bothered to read my original post from the perspective that I'm concerned about YOUR safety.

A couple of comments: The law probably does require me to give you 3 foot clearance. Can't do that if you are riding 2-3 abreast when two lanes of traffic are going in the same direction as you are. Tell me that's not so!

Many times you don't obey the laws of the road. My observation is that many of you don't think stop signs are meant for you. Tell me that's not so!

I never considered bicycle traffic when I moved here 20 years ago. There was virtually none and they certainly didn't roam in packs of 20 + without considering that cars were trying to avoid hitting them.

If you've ever seen any of my restaurant comments you'd know I've never been to a Burger King so why do you think I'm in a hurry to get there.

Can't believe you don't see this topic from the perspective of SAFETY. Your safety, not mine or any other automobile driver. Who do you think is going to win when one of you gets hit by a car who doesn't know you think you are invincible. Ride the cart paths like other slow moving vehicles or stay on street with cart or bicycle paths.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Can't believe you don't see this topic from the perspective of SAFETY. Your safety, not mine or any other automobile driver. Who do you think is going to win when one of you gets hit by a car who doesn't know you think you are invincible. Ride the cart paths like other slow moving vehicles or stay on street with cart or bicycle paths.
And where do you think bicyclists should go in other metropolitan areas where there are no bike paths, cart paths, or multi-modal paths? Why should TV be any different?

The bottom line is that bicyclists, car drivers, and cart drivers need to drive with caution and share the road, just like everywhere else in the world. If bikers ignore rules of the road and get hurt, it is their fault. If car drivers don't exercise caution around bicyclists and cart drivers than the car driver can be at fault.

I think a little tolerance and respect is all that is needed here.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.