I really need some property advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default I really need some property advice

We find ourselves in quite a pickle. We did a LSV in late April, went home "thinking" and then made the decision to buy in TV. Came back in early September and began looking at properties and found several pieces in section 213 and thought we should be able to get at least 1 of those and build our home. Came back again in early November and did alot of research about home styles, stretches, carpet/tiles, and al the particulars we thought we needed to do in preparation to build.
Because of all the rumors about spec homes, we found another section with some properties we could also like. So, we were keeping several options open.
I now understand that 213 will be spec homes. Here is where I need some real advice. I have been following this forum for 7 months and know how valuable the input from the members are. My sales rep is a wonderful person, but is unable to even give me a hint if it will be spec homes ONLY or if I will be able to BUILD in another section.
Honestly, now that I know 213 will be specs, I'm inclined to wait for the other section. Someone on the forum last month said that the builder had applied for a permit for section 225 for April. However, there was no permit applied for section 213 that they could find. Does that mean that they obtain permits for sections that are "client or design-driven" and not for those that are specs?
We really want to build this spring/summer and move in by fall and we thought we were in good shape to be able to do it. But now I am concerned. After many spreadsheets and a great deal of deep-thinking we realize that the property selection is our #1 priority. Home design would be #2. Do forum members think we should wait for section 225 and hope that we will still be able to "choose" our home build? Or do members think that the building-your-own home time has passed and it will be all specs?
I'm depressed enough: its snowing here and 17 degrees. I don't want my dreams of building in TV smashed but not knowing IF I can build is worse. If I can't build, then I need to move on and prepare for a new paradigm.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't think you should worry. I don't know what the "great minds" have planned but you will be amazed at the wonderful specs they will build with all kinds of kicks and upgrades and great features.

When we first bought in 2008 they were ONLY building specs and there was a huge amount of choices available.

That doesn't mean I think they will only have specs, but NO ONE should anguish or rush into a decision to buy here thinking that it is gonna dry up.

Too much area left.

Deep breaths please, and a smile.
Christmas is coming and Santa is watching.

Hugs from

OLD gracie.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage

My personal advice is to buy a re-sale home in one of the established areas of The Villages. Many advantages include the ability to negotiate price with the seller (new homes cannot be negotiated); much lower bond or no bond at all (this saves thousands of dollars over the time period); no construction work going on around you; good possibility of all sorts of extras being built in without having to add on later; established and mature landscaping; and you know exactly what is built around you without being surprised at a later date.

Most re-sales come with a 1 year complete warranty. Some will talk about a roof needing replacing or water heater needing replacing soon. A home inspector will pick up on that stuff and you have no worry.

Think about it before buying new.

Also, it is very, very important to always used a Villages Property agent AND a Multiple Listing Agent from an outside realty company such as ERA, Century 21, Realty Executives, etc. Neither can show each other's listings. It is no secret so be open to both agents.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

I would wait until Jan. to see what the developer does. I've heard that they'll be a increase of $10,000.on Designer homes and that you won't be able to choose a lot and they'll be all specs built.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

I agree with "buggyone" on this issue!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Available lots

Wow, I know 210 just opened and there are lots of lots still available. The first couple of hours many were snatched up.( by people probably at home) Where were you? Its only been three weeks. Seems you have a very special lot in mind. You have time on your side but you might not have a sure bet to wait it out.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

I think if you are dead set on building then wait it out, what do you have to lose? You can always buy a spec or a pre-owned home if the lot you want doesn't open up to new builds
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Homes

If you look on line every day at pre-owned homes,eventually you will find exactly what you are looking for in a home. Work with real estate agents also. Tell them just what you want, and let them do the leg work. We were gonna build, and decided on the pre-owned home we now live in. Couldn't be happier.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Sage

can't beat new!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Sage

SuziQ,
I started looking august 2011 for a property and just could not find exactly what i wanted in a preowned. I crave morning sunlight (about to croak from these 2 overcast days) so needed east/south to the rear. A few days ago I decided to build and my agent took me to section 210 in Gilchrist, to a lot with a direct east exposure and the most incredible view of trees/pond/course. Altho that lot had been sought after by others it was my lucky day that the section had been released and the lot became mine.
There is an incredible sense of ownership in building it yourself. I suggest you figure out what kind of lot works best for you and what size model you need and get the agent to help you find a lot that makes you wildly happy.
Caution: it is unlikey you can set a time you want to build and then find a great lot. If possible, go ahead with choosing and building asap. The street i bought on was sold out in a few days.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 12-12-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: made an error
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I believe there will be more choices before too long.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
I would wait until Jan. to see what the developer does. I've heard that they'll be a increase of $10,000.on Designer homes and that you won't be able to choose a lot and they'll be all specs built.
Wife and I went and looked at a new designer the other day. The agent in the home told us she thinks that there will be a price increase at the beginning of the new year. One of the reasons was the storm sandy,causing building material to rise. They will add those costs on to the new homes. In about a year while we were looking ,designers went up around 8 k or more. Not too long ago they would hold a lot for 2500 , now I think its 5000. Boomers are retiring at 10k a day! They are looking for places to live. The villages is one of those places and I think prices will only go up.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Sage

also, my agent said there may come a time only specs will be built but no one knows how much longer. I am with you on the lot being priority. I hope you will take another vacay from the freezer soon and try again to find a lot that you love and start the building earlier than you planned.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Sage

tommy get a move on then and save $$$
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Sage

you can't get a design appt till next year unless there's a cancellation. lucky me, I got a dec 26 appt due a cancel. god loves me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.