Town squares

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Question Town squares

Is there any reason why we can’t have sound on the villages online site. We can see the entertainment but no sound. People who are not able to get to the squares would like to see and hear the bands. Why is this not available.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalcat View Post
Is there any reason why we can’t have sound on the villages online site. We can see the entertainment but no sound. People who are not able to get to the squares would like to see and hear the bands. Why is this not available.
Entertainment at the Squares is supposed to draw customers to eat drink and shop. They are also pretty handicap accessible.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Entertainment at the Squares is supposed to draw customers to eat drink and shop. They are also pretty handicap accessible.
Yes, ^^^ this plus the web cameras are quite far away all you would likely hear are car horns and mostly background crowd noise and barely hear the music.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I would think it's because of money. They would need a public performance license, which would cost about $500 a year, or $1500 for 3 squares so you could hear the live band at home.

The music publishing companies do their own enforcement. There was a bar in Tampa in 2016, Tadpoles Lounge that hired a band for playing on a holiday, and they didn't get a license, I believe it would been $1500. A few months later they got a bill for $300,000 from BMI. They eventually were told they could settle for $30,000, the owners couldn't afford that amount either and so they went out of business.

Currently there is a bar in Tampa and one in St. Pete that are being sued by ASCAP for not having a license.

Two Tampa Bay restaurants fined by ASCAP for not paying for music rights

Tadpoles out of business

The Villages Florida
Old 02-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Gold member

Last year I requested sound on the web cams they use over the three squares. You can see the volume button on their app. They said they would look into it. I think they did and realized they would have to pay royalties if they added that feature. It would be great if we had sound, but that's the way the system works.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Maybe because they are really security cameras to which viewing capability has been granted to the public and other features are reserved to security staff?

Old 02-29-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Because the merchants in the squares do not choose to give it to you.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:10 AM

Continuing on with the subject of the cameras on the squares, I wish the cameras offered a closer view such as the Brownwood camera. The camera at Spanish Springs needs to be relocated.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:51 AM

The purpose of The Squares entertainment is another great reason for people to get, up get moving and go socialize. Yes, drinking, eating and shopping is another good reason.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Go to The Villages App. Scroll down to WVLG....play.

Last edited by Singerlady; 03-01-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Misunderstood...wrong reply.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Exactly. If they aired the performances many people might just sit home and watch.

We now have Facebook Live for our weekly Beatlemaniacs meetings. People can sit at home and watch and even request songs and ask questions.

Our meetings are very crowded and we are not trying to drag people in to shop in the stores, dine and drink.

I love the live music in the squares and I'm not being negative when I say that the purpose is to create big crowds so that the stores, restaurants and bars surrounding the squares make money. It's a good deal for them and for the residents.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

congrats to all for this posting.

- the OP for a very good question
- the reply posters for informative answers and observations

no politics, anger, personal affronts, 'Developer' condemnations, etc.

refreshing - and I learned something as well.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I think if you were to have microphones set up next to the cameras the sound would be similar to white noise, with perhaps the thump of the bass drum or guitar in the background.

If you live-feed the sound from the bandstand directly to the website, you'd have to pay the artists who own the copyright on the songs being played through ASCAP. Typically that is done with commercial breaks - which requires an engineer to implement, and it would require the band to cooperate with those breaks. It would basically become a live TV station, which would also then require FCC permits and licensing to operate.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSnow View Post
...I wish the cameras offered a closer view such as the Brownwood camera. The camera at Spanish Springs needs to be relocated.
This website has 7 webcams on one page. There are 3 for Brownwood and if you click in the lower right corner of the image in the box, you can make that camera full screen. There is two for SS.

The Villages 7 Webcams
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
This website has 7 webcams on one page. There are 3 for Brownwood and if you click in the lower right corner of the image in the box, you can make that camera full screen. There is two for SS.

The Villages 7 Webcams
Thank you for the reply. When I'm not at the Villages, I love watching the dancers at the Squares. The only camera that shows a close view of the dancers is the one at Brownwood.
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, sound, people, hear, bands

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.