Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictarleton View Post
would also help if people used their indicators when coming off the roundabout (we do in England and it helps a lot!)
Expecting folks to use their turn signals correctly in a round-about is ridiculously wishful. Most of TV residents likely couldn't even obtain a drivers license in England or Germany. I learned very quickly to never trust a turn signal in TV - to much bait and switch. Round-abouts are easy - drive defensively and just expect the other guy to do the wrong thing. If they do it correctly, all the better. Also, if you can't safely make the right turn from the inside lane cos you are blocked, go around the circle again. No harm done.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 AM

I enter every traffic circle with the expectation that someone is going to try to kill me. This strategy works well here.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM

We could do it like Paris France, drivers on the right have the right-a-way. Spent over a year there and it seemed to work, with 4 or 5 lanes of traffic in a circle, sometimes I went around 2 or 3 times before I could exit.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Default Roundabouts

Well...I learned to drive roundabouts in England but the rules are different there and the roundabouts are bigger (there are mini-roundabouts but I won't go into that.) In England, one is required to change lanes in a roundabout just before exiting, if one is not already in the outer lane.

Here, true confession, I take the right lane for first or second exit. For third exit I take the left lane. So far, that is following the official rules as I know them. I never heard of an official "can't change lanes in a roundabout" rule. In fact there are dotted lines that seem to say you can.

So...what I do for a left turn (third exit turn) is change lanes immediately after the second exit, making sure no one is about to pull into the roundabout in front of me. Then I am in the outer lane and ready to exit at the third exit.

If someone is about to pull in, I can't make the change just after the second exit. So I have to continue in the inner lane. I then swivel my head before exiting to make sure no one is behind me on the right, then cross from the inner lane to make my turn.

I confess I sometimes use the passenger door mirror instead of a head swivel, to see closely behind me on the right, but that is probably not the best approach. And of course the rear-view won't tell you if someone is closely behind you on the right.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Check the signs going into the circles! If you want to go to the 1st or 2nd exit (right turn or straight) use the right lane. If you want to go to the 2nd exit or the 3rd exit use the left lane. And always be aware of what is around you and be prepared to yield to the multitude that don't follow the rules.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:50 PM

You should never be in the outside lane if exiting at the third exit. The right lane is for right turns and second exit (straight) only.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Default Not a rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzurinko View Post
Yes, you’re correct. Stay in the left lane. The folks entering the round-about on your right must yield. As you exit the round-about, move into the right lane to get to the resident gate. That’s why there is a dotted line. You can cross it. And if your worried about traffic entering the round-about, then you must worry about people running red lights when you have a green. They’re required to yield, have faith or you’ll worry yourself to death.
You're describing how to drive a rotary, not a modern roundabout.
At a multi-lane modern roundabout, like any other multi-lane intersection, motorists should watch for the lane use signs and road markings that tell you which lane to be in based on where you want to go.
Like other complex intersections, sometimes only the left lane can turn left, sometimes it can turn left and go through, and sometimes it can go left, through or right.
With multi-lane roundabouts entering drivers should yield to all lanes approaching them and not change lanes inside the roundabout. This is because where one can exit depends on the lane use controls where you entered. Sometimes that inside lane can exit and sometimes that outside lane can go around.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzurinko View Post
Yes, you’re correct. Stay in the left lane. The folks entering the round-about on your right must yield. As you exit the round-about, move into the right lane to get to the resident gate. That’s why there is a dotted line. You can cross it. And if your worried about traffic entering the round-about, then you must worry about people running red lights when you have a green. They’re required to yield, have faith or you’ll worry yourself to death.
If you look at the instructional pamphlet, it shows that if you are in the inner lane, you should exit into the left hand exit lane. You do not cross over.

Think of it this way: If you were going straight through the roundabout and entered it from the left lane, would you cross over while in the roundabout to exit into the right lane? Or, would you exit into the left hand lane and continue on as you did prior to the roundabout?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanne View Post
GET RID OF LANES IN THE CIRCLE!!
Traffic should merge and approach the circle in single file.
Yield to traffic already in and coming round from the left.
Go round in single file to your required exit. Always use a right turn signal PRIOR to leaving the circle.
Would this make things easier and safer
That has been suggested a few times on TOTV; apparently it would slow down traffic to an unacceptable level.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:28 PM

okay... for the last couple days I have done the inside (left lane) going to the third exit. And I can tell you it just isn't safe. You have to trust someone on the right to not turn into you. You have to trust your blind side. Now if there were barriers (those tall white sticks to divide) then maybe. How can we trust someone on our right to do the correct thing.

So, I am going to the right side, and I can see if someone on the second exit is coming, and I will stop. This needs to be fixed.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:15 PM

It seems to me that if there was a physical barrier that forced cars entering in the right hand lane to take the first exit, there would never be a car on the right of those proceeding to the 2nd. or 3rd. or even 4th. exit.

But ours weren't designed that way and it will never happen. There are some small roundabouts on Hilton Head Island that are designed this way. Low speed, low traffic situations.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If every car in the right lane was required to make the next right turn, there would be no conflicts-----------No?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
okay... for the last couple days I have done the inside (left lane) going to the third exit. And I can tell you it just isn't safe. You have to trust someone on the right to not turn into you...
Easy fix that’s been cited many times...

Don’t drive the roundabouts with a vehicle on your right!!

Yes, it can be done. In fact, if you obey all the other roundabout rules, you will do it practically without trying.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Easy fix that’s been cited many times...

Don’t drive the roundabouts with a vehicle on your right!!

Yes, it can be done. In fact, if you obey all the other roundabout rules, you will do it practically without trying.
Absolutely correct because you can't trust that the person on the right would know they shouldn't cross over. If you do like the previous poster any accident will be your fault for failure to yield.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Absolutely correct because you can't trust that the person on the right would know they shouldn't cross over. If you do like the previous poster any accident will be your fault for failure to yield.
good advice, Crash.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.