Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
No, you follow the traffic instructions provided and read how to negotiate multi lane roundabout. This is NOT the place to learn traffic regulations! As we see lot of people don’t know how to negotiate roundabout properly.

It’s realy very simple. Yield to traffic IN the roundabout when approaching, use you’re blinker when exiting the circle, if you’re in the right lane you are turning right at the first exit or turning right at the second exit (straight through). If you in the left lane you are going to second or third exit. If oncoming cars yeild properly there should not be right way problem in the roundabout. Traffic laws are clear And if driver stay in the right lane and go to the third exit and hits someone after the second exit they will get the ticket, quite few find this out every year.
Link/proof?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Reason for confusion re: left turn:

Let's say I'm approaching the circle. North is straight ahead. East is to my right. West to the left. I'm coming from the South. I want to go west.
So I enter the circle via the inner-most lane. I'm now in the inside lane, travelling counter-clockwise. According to the rules, I'm in the correct lane to take a left. Except - now I'm IN the circle.
Once you are IN the circle, the only "left" that exists, is the circle itself. All exits are RIGHT exits, once you have entered the circle.

Now that's nitpicking, we all know that we're talking about a "west" exit in my scenario.

But let's continue past the nit.

We go past the first exit. The one heading east. We are now at the north exit. The next exit - the FIRST exit past the north exit, where we are at this very moment, in the inside lane, is the exit we want to take.

But that means we're in the wrong lane. Why? Because we are at the NORTH entrance to the circle right now. And everyone knows, if you are coming from the north, and need to turn west, you are taking the FIRST exit - from the north.

As soon as you move away from the entrance you came from, you are no longer turning left. That is the point some of us are trying to make, to explain WHY the last 16 pages of this thread exists.

If it were as easy and simple and elementary as some of you (and the graphics) try to make it look, there wouldn't be 16 pages (and how many other multi-page threads) of back and forth.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Link/proof?

The sign, not the roundabout ahead sign but the actual traffic flow sign when posted before the roundabout.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Let's say I'm approaching the circle. North is straight ahead. East is to my right. West to the left. I'm coming from the South. I want to go west.
So I enter the circle via the inner-most lane. I'm now in the inside lane, travelling counter-clockwise. According to the rules, I'm in the correct lane to take a left. Except - now I'm IN the circle.
Once you are IN the circle, the only "left" that exists, is the circle itself. All exits are RIGHT exits, once you have entered the circle.

Now that's nitpicking, we all know that we're talking about a "west" exit in my scenario.

We go past the first exit. The one heading east. We are now at the north exit. The next exit - the FIRST exit past the north exit, where we are at this very moment, in the inside lane, is the exit we want to take.

But that means we're in the wrong lane. Why? Because we are at the NORTH entrance to the circle right now. And everyone knows, if you are coming from the north, and need to turn west, you are taking the FIRST exit - from the north.

As soon as you move away from the entrance you came from, you are no longer turning left. That is the point some of us are trying to make, to explain WHY the last 16 pages of this thread exists.

If it were as easy and simple and elementary as some of you (and the graphics) try to make it look, there wouldn't be 16 pages (and how many other multi-page threads) of back and forth.
No. If you are going 3/4 around, you stay in the inner lane from entrance to exit. Every sign and document tells you this. It is really no more complicated than that.

Another thing. Do not change lanes while in the roundabout. In other words, do not move from the inner lane to the outer lane prior to an exit. Continue all the way to the exit in the inner lane and take the left exit lane. Just as the pamphlet shows.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 AM
Sage

don't sweat the circles--millions of vehicles use them very year , with very few accidents--lot safer than 4 way intersections
Old 10-17-2018, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The sign, not the roundabout ahead sign but the actual traffic flow sign when posted before the roundabout.

I was asking about proof regarding your statement of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo
...they will get the ticket, quite few find this out every year.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Not sure why we have to make this any harder than it really is.

1. You must yield to both lanes before entering the circle.

2. You cannot overtake any vehicle while in the circle.

3. When you turn your wheel to the right from the inside lane to exit to the west, you are not making a right turn,
you are completing the left turn you started when you entered the circle.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I am beginning to think everyone who doesn't understand this VERY simple concept should have their license removed and never allowed to drive.

A traffic circle is a traffic light replacement.

Nothing more. Think of it as driving down 466 or 466a and turing onto Morse or Buena Vista.

If you want to turn right get in the right lane.
If you want to turn left get in the left lane.
If you want to go straight either lane works.

Why is this hard to understand? You have all used traffic lights for years. It works exactly the same.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Sage

Nailed it-very simple-but a lot of drivers in TV don't think that fast as evidenced by a recent golf cart vs car accident--the cart driver was 77 the car driver was 86

willing to bet younger drivers would have reacted fast enough to avoid the accident--if you can afford it, buy a car with the technology that makes up for our age related slower related reaction time
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

This was the only traffic circle I had to deal with until I moved here. Nobody knew what to do, so we just closed our eyes and then entered the Twilight Zone. Seems to still work for some here.The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
don't sweat the circles--millions of vehicles use them very year , with very few accidents--lot safer than 4 way intersections
I am extremely impressed with how seldom there are incidents in the traffic circles. In general they work as designed allowing for traffic to move smoothly. The vast majority of folks seem to know what they are doing.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 PM

OK,I've read all of these post and I have come up with a plan. Replace all Traffic Circles with an Overpass.Problem solved.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM

This is one is in Swindon England called the Magic Roundabout. Consists of 5 smaller circles feeding a larger central one.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Magic Roundabout.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	76913  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Ski View Post
This is one is in Swindon England called the Magic Roundabout. Consists of 5 smaller circles feeding a larger central one.
Imagine the thread debating that !!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
This was the only traffic circle I had to deal with until I moved here. Nobody knew what to do, so we just closed our eyes and then entered the Twilight Zone. Seems to still work for some here.The Villages Florida
That appears to not have any pavement markings...inside the roundabout itself.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.