Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Default Traffic Circles

Could someone tell me in layman terms about traffic circles in the villages.

My problem is this... and may be simple for some...

The Resident entrances are always on the right side.

So, if you stay on the right side of the road, and go to the 3rd exit, you still have to yield to left who going to the second exit...

If you stay on the inside (left) and go to the third exit, as a resident you have to cross into the right lane, however you have to hope but the people on your right, and the people entering on your right will yield as you cross into their lane.

So, the right yields to the left, however you have to trust the right to yield for the left to get to the resident entrance, and many are new to circles.

Help.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

How to Navigate Roundabouts
Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
...So, if you stay on the right side of the road, and go to the 3rd exit, you still have to yield to left who going to the second exit...

If you stay on the inside (left) and go to the third exit, as a resident you have to cross into the right lane, however you have to hope but the people on your right, and the people entering on your right will yield as you cross into their lane.

So, the right yields to the left, however you have to trust the right to yield for the left to get to the resident entrance, and many are new to circles.

Help.
Yes, you have to yield, but that shouldn't have happened since cars that want to enter the traffic circle must yield to cars already in the circle. So when you're in the left (inside) lane in the circle, a driver must wait until you have passed them before they enter. However, we know in the real world driver's will enter right before you, alongside you, or go all the way to the third exit in the outside lane. Therefore, you must be vigilant when driving in a traffic circle.

Just yesterday I came off Bailey Trail and entered the circle on Buena Vista by Lake Miona Rec Center and was in the left (inside) lane since I was going to the third exit, planning to take Buena Vista northbound. A driver waiting at the second exit entered the outside lane alongside me but decided to go to their third exit, when I got to my third exit they were directly in front of me and had stopped in the circle. It would of been a good case of T-Boning if I had not be vigilant. I stopped and simply laid on my horn for about 10 seconds until they moved and the truck behind them almost rear-ended them. Another rule, do not stop in a traffic circle. My favorite encounter was a driver who had stopped in the Turtle Mound traffic circle on Buena Vista to read their map.

Last edited by John_W; 08-09-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

One of the main problems in these scenarios is that those just entering circles are required to yield to both lanes, not just to those already in the right lane. By entering before all traffic is clearly past them they create many dangerous situations for those exiting at the next point. The sign says YIELD. -not Yield to right lane traffic!!!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Even though the entry gates are marked Guest to the left and Resident to the right, you can still enter in the left (guest) lane using your gate card if you find yourself in a position where you are forced to stay left because of traffic to the right. The main thing to keep in mind is to know the proper ways to navigate the circles, always expect that the other drivers do NOT know the proper way (or they just ignore it), don't panic and react accordingly.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
Could someone tell me in layman terms about traffic circles in the villages.

My problem is this... and may be simple for some...

The Resident entrances are always on the right side.

So, if you stay on the right side of the road, and go to the 3rd exit, you still have to yield to left who going to the second exit...

Help.
Go through the guest gate. Eliminates the problem. I do it all the time. It's OK for a resident to use the guest gate.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Go through the guest gate. Eliminates the problem. I do it all the time. It's OK for a resident to use the guest gate.
I agree just go in the guest lane, why bother trying to switch lanes
Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I have never completed my journey down BV or MB without someone pulling out in front of me or switching lanes in roundabout. You know the swerve left from the right lane swerve back to straighten out the roundabout. That don't bother me it there no traffic in, beside, or around the roundabout , but some just move over and don't even look
Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
One of the main problems in these scenarios is that those just entering circles are required to yield to both lanes, not just to those already in the right lane. By entering before all traffic is clearly past them they create many dangerous situations for those exiting at the next point. The sign says YIELD. -not Yield to right lane traffic!!!
Exactly. And I think the signs should say Yield to Both Lanes. We need defensive signs as well as defensive driving. Too many people aren't used to roundabouts.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I agree just go in the guest lane, why bother trying to switch lanes
Absolutely, and say HI to the gate keepers if there is one.

On an aside, when we first moved here, I completely avoided the roundabouts (if I could) for about 3 years. Then there was an accident on Rolling Acres road, no injuries and around $500 damage to the car. After that incident, we took a look at the roundabouts, I carefully read the instructions, and now we use them all the time. HOWEVER, I drive very defensively, I use turn signals, and I watch the other drivers like a hawk.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:18 PM

When going left in a roundabout, enter in the left lane. After you go around half way and begin your left turn, you will, in most cases, see two lanes turning left. You have the option of turning into the far left lane and continue to the Visitor's gate, or as you are turning left, get into the far right lane and continue to the Residence gate. You would not be changing illegally. You ALWAYS need to be alert and watch out for the other guy. If everyone would navigate the roundabouts as they would any other intersection, there would be a lot less anxiety.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Sage

Yes...don’t hesitate to use the visitor gate at all. Totally legal allows you to avoid an unwanted lane change.

More generally, when in a roundabout, always avoid having a vehicle alongside you on your right. Yes, it can be done, and avoids all conflicts. Everything else will take care of itself.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Notice there are broken lines at the exits which allow a change of lanes.....con't change where there is a solid line. Nobody pays any attention but they are helpful if used.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

The thing that causes the most accidents is going around the round about in the outside lane when making a left hand turn. Don't people realize that is like making a left hand turn from the right hand lane.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM

would also help if people used their indicators when coming off the roundabout (we do in England and it helps a lot!)
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.