Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 06:06 PM

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersec...s/fhwasa10006/

Table 2: Common Inscribed Circle Diameter Ranges
Multilane Roundabout (2 lanes) WB-50 (WB-15) 150 to 220 ft (46 to 67 m)
Multilane Roundabout (2 lanes) WB-67 (WB-20) 165 to 220 ft (50 to 67 m):
I would guess that the roundabout at Buena Vista and El Camino Real to be about 120 feet in diameter, not sure. but no where near the 220 ft in the chart.
I think our roundabouts are too small.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersec...s/fhwasa10006/

Table 2: Common Inscribed Circle Diameter Ranges
Multilane Roundabout (2 lanes) WB-50 (WB-15) 150 to 220 ft (46 to 67 m)
Multilane Roundabout (2 lanes) WB-67 (WB-20) 165 to 220 ft (50 to 67 m):
I would guess that the roundabout at Buena Vista and El Camino Real to be about 120 feet in diameter, not sure. but no where near the 220 ft in the chart.
I think our roundabouts are too small.

Then again, to make them larger would have increased the footprint and reduced how many houses they could have crammed together...and still provide MMP's (in a lot of areas).

In addition, a contributing problem is a lack of consistency... in signage and striping.

Enter Here
Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 AM

Keep one eye in your mirror, one eye on the road in front of you and one eye in your right or left side mirrors depending on what lane you're in. This will protect you from all the idiots that didn't look at those big green signs before they entered the roundabout or failed to yield at all. Then.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 AM

Think of a roundabout as a regular highway with deep curves. You don’t turn right from a left hand lane or left from the right lane! If you are in the right lane your choices are to go straight or turn at the first right. From the left lane you can also go straight or go left. In many cases that will mean you enter your village on the guest side.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 AM

Quick Answer = Avoid being exactly next to a car in the circle - always be in back of or in front of the adjacent car. Watch the front wheels of the adjacent car to see where they are going to turn. And always be willing to go around the circle a second time to avoid collisions. Traffic is generally light in the Villages. Be thankful you have made a good choice to live here.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 AM

Yes, you’re correct. Stay in the left lane. The folks entering the round-about on your right must yield. As you exit the round-about, move into the right lane to get to the resident gate. That’s why there is a dotted line. You can cross it. And if your worried about traffic entering the round-about, then you must worry about people running red lights when you have a green. They’re required to yield, have faith or you’ll worry yourself to death.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

Just pay attention to the signs that are about 100 feet before the roundabout. If you are in the right-hand lane, you may go straight or turn right. If you are in the left-hand lane, you may go straight, turn left, or make a U-turn. Follow the signs.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Sage

If its not safe, go around the circle one more time till, there's a safe opening--nothing wrong with staying in the left lane for the 3rd exit and going to the residents gate, less wear and tear on my window motor
Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Me personally when I want to turn right to get off on the 3rd exit, I stay in the inside lane until I get to the 3rd exit then I try to make real sure there's nobody right next to me, because you don't know if they're going straight or turning with you. A thumb of rule for me is I never run along side of any other vehicle. If do & I have to I'll go all the way around again! Everybodies got their own idea how the circles work, just be real careful & don't trust anybody.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Post Round about

Think of it as a normal intersection. You never turn left from right lane and never turn right from left lane.
Left lane is only straight or left
Right lane is only straight or right.
When you are in the circle these rules still apply
Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 AM

It was a waste of money putting up all those green signs before the circles....so many people don't obey them. Nearly every time I travel east on Stillwater and try use the third exit at Morris there is some driver entering the circle in the right lane and turning left. They probably do this because the bypass at Lake Sumter Landing is a short way up. Among other things it makes it more difficult for those who turned properly getting into the right lane to use the bypass. (as an aside, those using Stillwater going west entering Buena Vista can legally turn left because there is no exit on the opposite side of the circle and therefore cars in entering the circle in the left lane cannont travel through crossing the right lane. The green signs show that left turns can be made from the right lane.)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Using signals is the best key when navigating the circles, it gives the other driver the cue as to which way you are going. I don't understand the non-use of turn signals in The Villages - don't make someone have to read your mind, tell them where you are going. PS...you probably don't want to read someone's mind anyway you would probably only get the high sign.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Yes, you have to yield, but that shouldn't have happened since cars that want to enter the traffic circle must yield to cars already in the circle. So when you're in the left (inside) lane in the circle, a driver must wait until you have passed them before they enter. However, we know in the real world driver's will enter right before you, alongside you, or go all the way to the third exit in the outside lane. Therefore, you must be vigilant when driving in a traffic circle.

Just yesterday I came off Bailey Trail and entered the circle on Buena Vista by Lake Miona Rec Center and was in the left (inside) lane since I was going to the third exit, planning to take Buena Vista northbound. A driver waiting at the second exit entered the outside lane alongside me but decided to go to their third exit, when I got to my third exit they were directly in front of me and had stopped in the circle. It would of been a good case of T-Boning if I had not be vigilant. I stopped and simply laid on my horn for about 10 seconds until they moved and the truck behind them almost rear-ended them. Another rule, do not stop in a traffic circle. My favorite encounter was a driver who had stopped in the Turtle Mound traffic circle on Buena Vista to read their map.
My anxiety kicks in when I think about navigating through the traffic circles when I make my move into The Villages in a few months. Perhaps I can get a sticker for my vehicle that says “Have mercy - I’m new to this.”
Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM

The person in the circle has the right of way. You yield before entering, stopping if a car is coming, merge when safe to do so
Old 08-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Default Roundabouts or TRAFFIC CIRCLES in TV

GET RID OF LANES IN THE CIRCLE!!
Traffic should merge and approach the circle in single file.
Yield to traffic already in and coming round from the left.
Go round in single file to your required exit. Always use a right turn signal PRIOR to leaving the circle.
Would this make things easier and safer
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.