Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

FFS! It's a junction!
Either a T junction, or a crossroad
Use the same proceedure you would use on a 1, 2, lane highway.
Give way to left.
Right lane = right or straight on
Left lane = straight on, or turn left.
Signal on exit.
So simple!!!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Smile Several points in response

1. I have noticed (this is very understandable if you've ever pulled a trailer) that contractors who pull long trailers will use the right hand lane to go 270 degrees around a circle (equivalent of making an intersection left turn) because their truck/trailer combo is very long. If they were to try the left hand (inside) lane and get crowded by people in the right (outside) line (which happens frequently) - they run the risk of dragging their trailer up, over the inside curb. I was surprised the first time one of those rigs did a 270 degree turn and cut in front of me…but I’m prepared now and have not been subjected to that surprise again. I am always EXTRA cautious around any contractor pulling a trailer in a roundabout.

2. I recently (for the first time) encountered a large U-Haul box truck (newbie alert!) already established in the roundabout who came to a full-stop to let traffic enter the circle: DANGER WILL ROBINSON! I was second in line in the left hand (southbound) lane on Buena Vista…lots of traffic…the first car in the left hand lane did not take the bait while only the lead car in the right hand lane took the offer from the U-Haul and pulled out in front of him. The rest of the right-hand-lane traffic remained stopped to encourage the U-Haul to proceed. So, it was a crowded road while we drove southbound on BV. In the next circle, I was prepared (me in the inside/left lane) and taking the second exit (continuing southbound) when the U-Haul did the old 270 degree turn from the right lane. I was unsurprised and prepared and stopped without ever creating a conflict. But then as I started up to continue southbound (after checking my rear view) I was surprised by a sedan in the right hand lane that sped by in front of me at about 30 mph through the circle. He must have entered from the west side (out of the setting sun), headed east, and was stopping for no one! Disaster narrowly averted.

3. In my early career (in a galaxy far, far away) I was a navigator both on ships and in airplanes. This was before the advent of GPS that means today’s navigators do little more turn on the electronics and program waypoints. The cardinal rule of thumb for navigators of that era was to NEVER rely on JUST ONE navigation indicator. No matter how rudimentary, one ALWAYS has more than one means of fixing a position, plotting a course/speed, etc. The corollary for roundabouts is that the signs in advance of entry to a roundabout (showing where each lane may proceed to exit) is an important - BUT NOT THE ONLY - indication. The lane markings are critical. If a vehicle crosses a dotted line, it is making a lane change. Even if the vehicle in the next lane “isn’t supposed to be - or expected to be - there”, the vehicle making the lane change has the burden to yield to traffic already established in that lane. Relying solely on the pre-roundabout signs and ignoring dotted-line lane markings is a good way to cause a collision and to receive the ticket for causing said collision.

4. And finally, for all the negative talk about the roundabouts…how many fatal collisions do we have in roundabouts? How many high-speed, fatal collisions do we have at fewer major intersections that exist within the same campus footprint?

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
One of the main problems in these scenarios is that those just entering circles are required to yield to both lanes, not just to those already in the right lane. By entering before all traffic is clearly past them they create many dangerous situations for those exiting at the next point. The sign says YIELD. -not Yield to right lane traffic!!!
One of the major problems in roundabouts is the fact that few drivers signal when they exit. Drivers wanting to enter the roundabout have no clue when a vehicle is going to exit or continue straight ahead.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
One of the major problems in roundabouts is the fact that few drivers signal when they exit. Drivers wanting to enter the roundabout have no clue when a vehicle is going to exit or continue straight ahead.
Some areas in other parts require signaling. Should apply here also.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
One of the major problems in roundabouts is the fact that few drivers signal when they exit...
To be honest, if you obey a couple of basic rules, whether or not drivers in the roundabout signal an exit shouldn’t make much difference...

Approaching drivers must yield to all vehicles in the roundabout, and nobody should ever drive next to another vehicle when in the roundabout. Do those two things and you’re safe from vehicles in the roundabout whether they signal their exit or not.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Gold member

The only time you signal within the traffic circle is to other people already in the traffic circle when you change lanes...You dont signal when exiting a traffic circle. Yield to ALL traffic already in the circle..simple as that. Besides...Only fools trust turn signals in a retirement community
Old 10-09-2018, 04:51 PM

just read the signs before each roundabout, as there are many that are marked differently. Use common sense and NEVER enter a roundabout directly BESIDE another car...you never know which way they are going.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 PM

Who says you don't signal when you exit? Look up roundabout rules on any website and they all say to signal your exit. I was taught this 45 years ago in driver's ed. People need to know when you're exiting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Who says you don't signal when you exit? Look up roundabout rules on any website and they all say to signal your exit. I was taught this 45 years ago in driver's ed. People need to know when you're exiting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I agree. The roundabout specifically mentions signaling as you leave the circle as you are actually making a right turn.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 AM
Sage

Never seen so much wrong info from posters on this site regarding such a simple subject as navigating a junction.

Here is the simple CORRECT way to navigate a circular junction

1 Get in correct lane prior to getting to junction.
R/H lane is turn right, or straight on.
L/H lane is straight on, or turn left.

2. Prepare to give way or stop to any traffic in the junction to your left.

3. When clear to your left, enter junction, and navigate to your required exit. SIGNAL when EXITING junction.

You do not change lanes, or give way when in the circle junction. That is the whole idea of them. A continous flow.
If you have to change lane or give way, you or the other driver are in the wrong lane. See point 1.

Having said all that, my final point is be on your guard at all times, as 75% othe TV drivers haven't a clue!
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 AM
Gold member

You don't use your signal when exiting the circle because you are going straight ahead...look at the lane markings. There are no turns in a traffic circle. You don't signal to people yielding to the circle.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:22 AM
Sage

When I see a person using signals in a circle, it tells me they're a newbie and really are not comfortable making a turn in a circle, I give them a wide birth and I do the same when I see really "old" people who can't maintain their lane while turning
Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
You don't use your signal when exiting the circle because you are going straight ahead...look at the lane markings. There are no turns in a traffic circle. You don't signal to people yielding to the circle.
Not going to argue with you, but you are wrong.
You signal at EXIT.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
When I see a person using signals in a circle, it tells me they're a newbie and really are not comfortable making a turn in a circle, I give them a wide birth and I do the same when I see really "old" people who can't maintain their lane while turning
...and when I see a person NOT signaling on EXIT, I know they don't know the correct way to navigate a roundabout!
Old 10-10-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Try not turning your steering wheel to the right and see if you ever exit the traffic circle.

The law says signal when you exit. At least do it as a courtesy to those waiting to enter and wondering what you plan to do. On the small diameter circles that are here, if you wait to actually see the car exit, it's probably too late to enter before the next one arrives.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.