Traffic controls in the tri-counties

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron View Post
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination. Spend your energy on actions that you can control, and accept situations that you cannot control. Getting angered by someone you cannot effect just increases stress for you. If traffic light timing bothers you, contact the agency in charge, collect a petition, try to calmly change the situation.
Having lived from Hawaii to New England to Florida, I can say with confidence every locale has it’s unique driving style and unique challenges that will seem wrong to people used to driving in a different locale. Don’t sweat the small stuff, and go with the flow. You really have little else you can do safely.
Did this post evolve, change or take on increased importance in the last 1 hour and 20 minutes???
Old 06-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Once again I have to ask, as before, in RBs, are you seriously stating that you INTENTIONALLY stay in the right (outer) lane even if you are going around 270 to the 3rd exit?????? If so, you are not only part of the problem and not part of the solution, but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS as well to the rest of us who know what we are doing. Please stay off the road or learn to drive a RB!
Dream on. They will not stay off the road.

We just have to learn how to deal with them.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron View Post
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination. Spend your energy on actions that you can control, and accept situations that you cannot control. Getting angered by someone you cannot effect just increases stress for you. If traffic light timing bothers you, contact the agency in charge, collect a petition, try to calmly change the situation.
Having lived from Hawaii to New England to Florida, I can say with confidence every locale has it’s unique driving style and unique challenges that will seem wrong to people used to driving in a different locale. Don’t sweat the small stuff, and go with the flow. You really have little else you can do safely.

Nothing like thinking your post is so good you post it twice.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Drive carefully. You are important to the rest of us.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-01-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Dream on. They will not stay off the road.

We just have to learn how to deal with them.
I just hope that person understands that when (not if) he gets in an accident in a RB, it is HE that will get a ticket, it is HIS insurance that will pay to fix BOTH vehicles, it is HIS insurance premium that will skyrocket, and God forbid there is any personal injury he better hope he has a large umbrella policy, because Dan Newlin/Morgan & Morgan will have a field day
Old 06-01-2021, 06:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Sometimes, you just have to chill. It will be OK. R-E-L-A-X....reeeelaxxxxx......
Old 06-01-2021, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I just hope that person understands that when (not if) he gets in an accident in a RB, it is HE that will get a ticket
We all know he does not understand that he is in the wrong. He thinks he is in the right.

That's why we gotta expect him to do what he does.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Again and again I believe the lights your timed so you do not speed. Please remember Leesburg itself has many many retail stores that are small and have inlets and outlets going on to the highway so the speed limit is less. It's for your safety as well as mine so next time you see someone pulling out of Wendy's you're not doing 55 mph but you're doing 35 etc etc etc. And if you don't like 27 in Leesburg please stay in the bubble
From your previous posts you show disdain for TV, so since you live in Leesburg, please stay out of our bubble.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:13 PM

An Orlando TV station ran a short video created by some young folks just as impatient as you seem to be. In the video, 4 guys jumped out of their car, set up a card table and chairs, and played cards while they waited for the light to change. I've never seen a period between light changes anywhere as long as they are in Florida. After a while I've become numb to it.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGodin View Post
An Orlando TV station ran a short video created by some young folks just as impatient as you seem to be. In the video, 4 guys jumped out of their car, set up a card table and chairs, and played cards while they waited for the light to change. I've never seen a period between light changes anywhere as long as they are in Florida. After a while I've become numb to it.
Guess you never have driven in San Antonio.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy55 View Post
You are right on so many levels but I will add to your list that people in Florida do not use turn signals.when driving their cars or golf carts. It’s very frustrating and dangerous.
I agree. Please use your turn signals! And even more dangerous are those in a golf cart or a motorcycle with a left-turn signal on at a 4-way stop and then they go STRAIGHT. I almost hit a bike that way up by Publix in SSpgs. We both came to the stop at the same time across from each other. I had my left turn signal on and so did he. I stopped at the stop sign and then started again with a left-hand turn and at the same time he hit his gas on his bike and instead of making the left-hand turn he went STRAIGHT in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and he swerved and it was a near miss. He probably noticed his signal was on later and realized he would have been at fault IF he had lived (no helmet!). So ... signals are great, but PLEASE make sure your bike or golf cart's signals aren't on when you think they're off. Saw the same thing up at the Chula Vista Rec Center. Golf car approaching with right-hand signal on and another car making a left-hand turn onto Rio Grande. Golf cart was moving pretty fast and it didn't turn and went straight in front of the car. Other car obviously had a pretty good driver to realize what that cart was doing and he hadn't pulled out for his left avoiding an accident.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:55 PM

Why get yourself stressed out over small things? Give yourself more driving time to your desired destination and take deep breaths while waiting for the red light to change. Works well for me.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirlNow View Post
Other car obviously had a pretty good driver to realize what that cart was doing and he hadn't pulled out for his left avoiding an accident.
All of us who survive driving in The Villages are "pretty good drivers". We pay attention when we drive and expect the unexpected.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

I think the traffic lights on 441/27 are controlled by magnetic sensors at the stop lines by the cross streets. If no traffic on the cross street the lights stay green. Sometimes.

As to taking possession of the intersection awaiting a left turn against opposing traffic, that may be Gospel in Chicago or other high traffic density locales, but so far as I can determine the practice will get you a ticket in Florida. Besides some young bozo in a pickup truck will probably run the red light against you and leave you stranded there.

What gets my goat is the unpredictability of the left turn arrow lights. Some come on when the your traffic direction goes green. Some allow left turns in both directions at once. Some come on after your traffic direction goes from green to red but before the cross street gets the green. I don't know if the left turn arrows are randomly generated or controlled by the phase of the moon. Welcome to Florida.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Besides some young bozo in a pickup truck will probably run the red light against you and leave you stranded there.
Or some old-fart in a 1991 Mercury Marquis ....
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, turn, tri-counties, controls, sit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.