Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Last night around 630 i was trying to get to Colonly Plaza via Stillwater/Odell when I came to a complete stop on Odel Cir near Ambrosia. Traffic was at a standstill going no where and you could see it was cars trying to get into Dunkirk Trl to see the Xmas displays. Well I turned around and took back roads via Havana Trail to come out back on Odell but now past the turn off to Dunkirk. AGAIN traffic from the Morse Circle onto Odell at a total stop ......and then a Fire Engine with Lights flashing is trying to get through the gate to get on Odell...... he can barely get through the circle with so much traffic and has to come through the normal exit side of the gate...and then proceeds down the opposite lane on Odell...TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE but thats all this driver could do because of the traffic to reach his emergency call... When I finaly got into the circle on Morse (near Havana CC), Traffic both lanes was down Morse close to Colony not moving..what a disaster waiting to happen!!! ON my return I actually had to leave colonly, drive down 466A until I got to Canal and headed north on Canal just to avoid this MAJOR tie up.

If the neighbors around Dunkirk complain they are not being the Grinch of Xmas , believe me its much more than simply a few cars in and around Dunkirk...definitely a safety issue.

Last edited by 784caroline; 12-24-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Sage

I love Christmas too but it has become a real problem trying to get home or to go anywhere after 6 pm each evening. I live on Dunkirk at the other end. I heard about the fire truck being held up because of the traffic last night and this is worrysome should we need the rescue squad. I did notice the police were directing traffic onto Dunkirk last night. There is one advantage to this. It seems everyone in the Villages knows where my street is so when I tell them what street I live on they can find my house.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage

We returned home from the Orlando area last evening and were driving up Morse towards the gate at O’Dell. At 8:57 PM , traffic was stopped on Morse, through the gate and up O’Dell. Luckily we were able to squeeze through and continue up Morse. Drivers were considerate enough to leave an opening to allow driving to continue up Morse. Never have seen this type of congestion in all the years we lived here!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Perhaps next year the sheriff will consider making Dunkirk a one way street for a couple of weeks during the display!

Old 12-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Sage

We heard the sirens last night as they made their way up Odell. Dunkirk is a problem re: traffic for sure. We encountered a bit of that a couple of weeks ago. They've tried to make the best of things by funneling cars/carts one way around the loop but getting in and out of Dunkirk is where the issue is. Maybe folks will need to park at Odell Rec Center and walk up to view the lights OR have it be mandated that only carts and not cars can go in and out of the street. Someone needs a solution as there are other reasons folks need to use Odell and not be bogged down by the traffic. I hope whatever the emergency was...that it was taken care of in a timely manner.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Perhaps next year the sheriff will consider making Dunkirk a one way street for a couple of weeks during the display!

It is one way from 6-9pm. Problem is O'Dell not Dunkirk. Carts only is an excellent idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Last night around 630 i was trying to get to Colonly Plaza via Stillwater/Odell when I came to a complete stop on Odel Cir near Ambrosia. Traffic was at a standstill going no where and you could see it was cars trying to get into Dunkirk Trl to see the Xmas displays. Well I turned around and took back roads via Havana Trail to come out back on Odell but now past the turn off to Dunkirk. AGAIN traffic from the Morse Circle onto Odell at a total stop ......and then a Fire Engine with Lights flashing is trying to get through the gate to get on Odell...... he can barely get through the circle with so much traffic and has to come through the normal exit side of the gate...and then proceeds down the opposite lane on Odell...TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE but thats all this driver could do because of the traffic to reach his emergency call... When I finaly got into the circle on Morse (near Havana CC), Traffic both lanes was down Morse close to Colony not moving..what a disaster waiting to happen!!! ON my return I actually had to leave colonly, drive down 466A until I got to Canal and headed north on Canal just to avoid this MAJOR tie up.

If the neighbors around Dunkirk complain they are not being the Grinch of Xmas , believe me its much more than simply a few cars in and around Dunkirk...definitely a safety issue.
/////////////

Last edited by jnieman; 12-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

Humbug!
Old 12-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
...Carts only is an excellent idea...
Dunkirk residents might not agree.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:49 PM
fw102807

It's so beautiful, I hope they find a solution.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Here is a video of a highly decorated home in a residential neighborhood which caused total misery for the neighbors. A friend of mine lived next door. The exhaust fumes were so bad his family suffered headaches. The traffic continued until after midnight for weeks. They could not get out of or into their driveway in the evenings the traffic was so bad. The owners last name was, ironically, Bugg - and they did manage to bug the neighbors. The Bugg House Christmas lights in 1995 Albuquerque NM - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

The problem is not Odell or Dunkirk. The problem is the excessive displays on Dunkirk. It is nice to be able to decorate for Christmas but when it is in excess and to the point of becoming a community hazard, it is time to be RESPONSIBLE and cut back. I can recall getting cited for having one lawn decoration. I realize that holiday décor is allowed, but creating a neighborhood disturbance each night for a month goes well past my tolerance level.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
The problem is not Odell or Dunkirk. The problem is the excessive displays on Dunkirk. It is nice to be able to decorate for Christmas but when it is in excess and to the point of becoming a community hazard, it is time to be RESPONSIBLE and cut back. I can recall getting cited for having one lawn decoration. I realize that holiday décor is allowed, but creating a neighborhood disturbance each night for a month goes well past my tolerance level.
Get off my lawn!!!! Bah Humbug
Old 12-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Attractive nuisance?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Solution....Golf Carts any night. Cars by license plate odd or even. Personalized plates are even. If the date is the 3rd odd cars, if its the 4th even cars. Its abusive to not do something before it gets shut down. Just to nice to let that happen. Just like the gas rationing days. Problem halved.
Closed Thread

Tags
stillwater, traffic, dunkirk, xmas, circle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.