Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

As usual, the "it's all about me" posters come out. If it's a safety issue they will address it. Does anyone think that posting that a fire truck was stuck in traffic will be an "aha" moment.....those in the fire truck are intelligent enough to escalate when there is an issue. Enjoy the season, the hard work and expense those on Dunkirk put in to allow us to share a wonderful display of the season.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Feel sorry for non participants who bought on this street and were unaware of the situation. Décor is nice but this has now gone way over the top. Note: we do celebrate Christmas and have tasteful décor. Dunkirk is now an amusement park. (IMHO)
Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I remember a few posters who were highly upset at valet parking. Of course, they didn't have to or never would use it. The Dunkirk lights are not required viewing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Solution....Golf Carts any night. Cars by license plate odd or even. Personalized plates are even. If the date is the 3rd odd cars, if its the 4th even cars. Its abusive to not do something before it gets shut down. Just to nice to let that happen. Just like the gas rationing days. Problem halved.
People cannot figure out how to drive roundabouts.....and you expect them to understand this system?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I remember a few posters who were highly upset at valet parking. Of course, they didn't have to or never would use it. The Dunkirk lights are not required viewing.

Complainers take note.........................
Old 12-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

Viewing The lights aren't the issue it's the traffic jam on O'Dell, a one lane major through street (and Morse) caused by all those going to see them that is. O'Dell was backed up from Dunkirk down to the Morse circle, then around the circle then south on Morse. That being said I'd hate to live in Dunkirk at this time of the year. I like visiting it but wouldn't want to live there. NIMBY! [emoji4]

Also due to all the publicity in newspapers it brings in even more people from OUTSIDE TV making it worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
People cannot figure out how to drive roundabouts.....and you expect them to understand this system?
Odd is Odd numbered days, Even is Even number days, personalized plates are Even. Golf Carts are every day. I understand it is rough for some people but I see no other quick solution posted that could be simpler.

I hope that a solution is found because something so nice would be terrible to be taken away. It's time to consider those who suffer through this in silence. I am not hurt at all.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Perhaps next year the sheriff will consider making Dunkirk a one way street for a couple of weeks during the display!
During the hours the light display is on, Dunkirk is set up as a one way street. It is set up as a one way street even in the beginning of the season when there is little to no traffic.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Solution....Golf Carts any night. Cars by license plate odd or even. Personalized plates are even. If the date is the 3rd odd cars, if its the 4th even cars. Its abusive to not do something before it gets shut down. Just to nice to let that happen. Just like the gas rationing days. Problem halved.
This sounds very reasonable but....what about the residents of Dunkirk? Would they be able to come and go in their car any day? Would they have to show their driver's license to enter or exit their own street?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Platinum member

My cousin lives in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn an area notorious for the over-the-top Christmas displays. The preparations start after Halloween and from Thanksgiving until well into January, she can not use her car because there is no way to get close to her house nor to park her car because of the traffic that comes from all over to see the displays. Traffic (both vehicular and pedestrian) is tied up and at a stand still for miles. There are even tour buses that come in full of people to see the displays. She has had people ring her bell and ask if they could use her bathroom. She has cried that life during this time of year is miserable -- if she shops she has no way to get close to her home to drop off her parcels and or groceries. And hiring a car or taxi doesn't help because they can't get near her home either. It is total madness. She says she lives in a Christmas Prison! She has stopped having any holiday gatherings for this reason and the past couple of years will stay at her sister's house for the bulk of the Christmas season. She is now talking about selling her beautiful home because she just can't take it any more. After seeing what she goes through, I see the other side of the coin.

When we bought our home here in the Villages, I totally forgot to ask about my neighbor's Christmas decorations. I thank God that we were lucky and do not live next to anyone whose decorations belong more in a commercially zoned area rather than residential.

Take a look:

Best Christmas Lights in the World - Dyker Heights NY Holiday Lights Extravaganza!!!! - YouTube
Old 12-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This sounds very reasonable but....what about the residents of Dunkirk? Would they be able to come and go in their car any day? Would they have to show their driver's license to enter or exit their own street?
Great point and I'm sure there will be other things that we didn't think of that will need to be tweaked but the general idea is as stated. I vote for all residences to be able to go to their own home each day.

We spoke in the car of the people with no lights on, they must be considered it is only fair.

If the residents of Dunkirk are smart enough to have a production like that on then handling this massive popularity thing is a no-brainer for people like that. I wish them the best and we appreciate their effort. They put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I can't figure out why Community Watch doesn't get involved with traffic control. Isn't that one of their functions?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Odd Number, even numbers would make it worse. Who would know that rule was in effect, who would enforce it, and how would it be enforced? Disallowed autos would need to turn around and would delay traffic even more.

One emergency event in the midst of this area would have firetrucks and ambulances blocked, but they would get thru perhaps damaging autos, yards etc. They could be delayed and who would be responsible. I recognize that it is a question of judgement, but with evidence of it causing problems already, should be notice to the participants that they have created an potential problem.

My suggestion would be that for a display disruption possibility like that, a permit by area safety officials should be required. Perhaps that already exists. If so, the responsibility transfers to the county to mitigate the problem. I would guess that is what some churches get on Sundays to control traffic. Do not know if they pay for the law enforcement officers used to control flow of traffic.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Odd Number, even numbers would make it worse. Who would know that rule was in effect, who would enforce it, and how would it be enforced? Disallowed autos would need to turn around and would delay traffic even more.

One emergency event in the midst of this area would have firetrucks and ambulances blocked, but they would get thru perhaps damaging autos, yards etc. They could be delayed and who would be responsible. I recognize that it is a question of judgement, but with evidence of it causing problems already, should be notice to the participants that they have created an potential problem.

My suggestion would be that for a display disruption possibility like that, a permit by area safety officials should be required. Perhaps that already exists. If so, the responsibility transfers to the county to mitigate the problem. I would guess that is what some churches get on Sundays to control traffic. Do not know if they pay for the law enforcement officers used to control flow of traffic.
These are neighbors doing a fine job bringing joy to many people and now there is a traffic snafu that must be remedied the best way possible. You are correct mtdjed your way sounds much better, good job, let me know how it works out. Just wondering who it is that pays for law enforcement to control traffic after they have paid for the lighting and electric, is that the residents who put on the light show?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, all of the residents on Dunkirk have agreed to do this, or they have a neighborhood organization that has approved it. Additionally, they raise money for charity with the display.

I think that a solution might be to post signs or have traffic police on northbound Morse explaining that the right-hand lane is for exiting onto ODell only and the left-hand lane is for through traffic. They could even place temporary barriers between the lanes on Morse. That would cause the right-hand lane to become longer, but leaves the left-hand lane open. As far as people that need to get onto ODell, they can always come up the other end.

If people that live on Dunkirk are really against it then I'm sure that they have agencies that they can complain to and get it stopped.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
stillwater, traffic, dunkirk, xmas, circle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.