Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Gold member

Hey, come on, people. The folks on Dunkirk spend LOTS of time and money on their displays; give them a break. In addition, they raise thousands of dollars and contribute hundreds of pounds of food to worthy community causes.

And further, have you taken children to see the lights and hear the music? If not, then you couldn't possibly imagine the joy and awe on their faces--not something they will forget any time soon.

PS: I read that their storage trailer had been stolen with all the gear in it. When I saw the neighbors putting up displays this year, I was surprised and asked if the trailer had been recovered? The answer: no. We bought it all again, and there is more this year than last year. Bless them.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Sage

Up to what day and times will the display be visible? Thanks guys. Looking forward
Old 12-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Morse isn't the problem, it's O'Dell which is 1 lane. O'Dell backs up all the way to Morse (about 3/4mi) Cars AND GCs are all squeezing into right turn GC lane which still blocks up the car lane and causes through driving carts to pull into car lane and cars to end up partially in oncoming lane. Then cars/carts trying to make a left turn into Dunkirk block the other direction lane.

As beautiful as it is, something needs to be done to alleviate traffic and prevent the accidents that often occur at intersection of O'Dell and Dunkirk and the traffic gridlock.

If it was only for a couple days that's one thing but it goes on for at least 5 weeks. The traffic situation is both dangerous and annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Maybe more Villages could decorate. Then maybe we could get on "The Great Christmas Light Fight"
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Hey, come on, people. The folks on Dunkirk spend LOTS of time and money on their displays; give them a break. In addition, they raise thousands of dollars and contribute hundreds of pounds of food to worthy community causes.

And further, have you taken children to see the lights and hear the music? If not, then you couldn't possibly imagine the joy and awe on their faces--not something they will forget any time soon.

PS: I read that their storage trailer had been stolen with all the gear in it. When I saw the neighbors putting up displays this year, I was surprised and asked if the trailer had been recovered? The answer: no. We bought it all again, and there is more this year than last year. Bless them.

I don't think the people involved in the 2 accidents I actually saw would agree. As I said before I think what they are doing is great and beautiful and I enjoyed it multiple times myself but that has nothing to do with the 5 weeks of heavy traffic and accidents and yes, even the inconvenience it causes many others. There has to be more consideration and better planning for the 5 weeks of heavy and sometimes dangerous traffic it is causing others. I think due to outside publicity in the papers it has grown to the point it needs some professional traffic control. It's no longer just a local event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Well IF people are not going to view the lights they to should avoid the area and not add to the traffic problem. If Morse is backing up take another road. If Odell is backed up take another route. There are some who have to as they live in that area and need to go that way. The other night Morse was backed up and people were just going north and not to the lights so why use that road period. The lights have been here for a long time and hopefully will stay. Everyone needs to plan their driving routes a little better period.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well IF people are not going to view the lights they to should avoid the area and not add to the traffic problem. If Morse is backing up take another road. If Odell is backed up take another route. There are some who have to as they live in that area and need to go that way. The other night Morse was backed up and people were just going north and not to the lights so why use that road period. The lights have been here for a long time and hopefully will stay. Everyone needs to plan their driving routes a little better period.
Really hope that my neighbors don't ever get the urge do something similar. There is a principle known as "Quite Enjoyment" Bah Humbug!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Up to what day and times will the display be visible? Thanks guys. Looking forward
Days and times, anyone?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
So everyone who wants to avoid the little Dunkirk side Street traffic nightmare should avoid O'Dell for 5 weeks at night ?? Seriously, that's ridiculous. O'Dell is a main thoroughfare and Dunkirk is a small side street off O'Dell and O'Dell is one of very few "through streets" in TV. Why should a group of 20 or so homes cause traffic jams on a "main road" for 5 weeks? There are multitudes more people traveling in both cars and Golf Carts on O'Dell than on Dunkirk St. Either you live on Dunkirk St or you don't have to experience the jams every night as many do.

EVERYONE can enjoy the beautiful display on Dunkirk St as long as the nightmare they have created FOR OTHERS can be resolved ..... and it can be simply resolved with T.V. providing some professional traffic control on the corner. No one is asking them to shut down, just to fix the mess outside their street they have created.

Seriously, others in the area are entitled to some consideration don't you think?

Fortunately it's soon over so this discussion will be moot ... until next year.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Days and times, anyone?
6pm-9pm every night. My guess (and hope) is it ends on New Years eve.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Days and times, anyone?
New Years eve is the last day, 6 to 9 PM.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Community Watch

is like an ostrich with it's head buried in the sand----Ignore the problem and it will go away (at least till next year).

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
stillwater, traffic, dunkirk, xmas, circle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.