Traffic issues and questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2020, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The obvious point I believe she was trying to make was if a pedestrian STEPS INTO a marked crosswalk vehicles are supposed to, by law, stop and let them cross even if there was plenty of time to safely drive past them before they knock them down like a bowling pin. Put a foot in crosswalk vehicles must stop. While that rarely happens it is the law and also probably why DAN makes so much money.

from The State of FL: >> Florida Statutes 316.130 – Pedestrians; traffic regulationsLawServer
The cited code “allows a pedestrian, WITH A PERMITTED SIGNAL, to cross a roadway“ at a signalized intersection.

Does that mean the driver of a car can just hit a pedestrian who is illegally crossing? No. Duh. But does that mean a person who steps into the crosswalk without a “permitted signal” has the right-of-way? Absolutely not. It is NOT the law.

Now, regarding that dog pee...
Old 02-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The cited code “allows a pedestrian, WITH A PERMITTED SIGNAL, to cross a roadway“ at a signalized intersection.

Does that mean the driver of a car can just hit a pedestrian who is illegally crossing? No. Duh. But does that mean a person who steps into the crosswalk without a “permitted signal” has the right-of-way? Absolutely not. It is NOT the law.

Now, regarding that dog pee...
yes, it's law. here's the actual law:

Quote:
(c) When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation and there is no signage indicating otherwise, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
(8) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.
From the website where the actual law is published, by the actual state government:

Chapter 316 Section 130 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Seriously - it wasn't that hard to find it. And whaddya know - I was wrong about the part where I said traffic had to yield even if the pedestrian was on the other side of the road. Traffic has the right of way, in that case.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby;1722317[url=https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.130
Chapter 316 Section 130 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate[/url]
Read your own quote in the previous post: “When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation”.

I repeated more than once that I was talking about a signalized intersection when a vehicle has a green light. Still no right-of-way for the pedestrian. Thanks for quoting the law that proves my point.

By the way, previous post I referred you too should be pretty easy to find.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 02-27-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I needed to go to Creekside complex yesterday morning so had just made the turn from Stillwater going towards the 4-way stop by TooJay's. "JUST" before where the golf-carts cross a gentleman in his cart was buzzing right along, didn't pause--much less stop and appeared not to even look and nearly became a hood ornament on my car. Good thing I wasn't going fast!! He seemed angry that I would have tooted my horn to warn him. Anyway---I've observed carts thinking they have the right of way at these crossings and they truly don't. Tis the season where we all need to be wary when out and about!!

I do have a question though---if folks are walking on those and want to cross, should auto traffic stop and let them go as they would in a cross-walk?? I would think since it's not a marked crossing they'd have to defer to traffic BUT I could be wrong on this one.
Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way
Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I give up. Now I really am off to the dog pee thread.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

And the true arbitrator of the law and who is correct in this thread will be Dan Newlan

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

It's actually very simple.

If a dog jumps out of a moving car that's driving down the MMP, then wanders out to the solid white line in a roundabout to pee, the non-street legal golf cart barreling in the opposite direction of the roundabout at 32 mph, must swerve around the dog before coming to a complete stop and the duck on the curb waddling past the village gate that is down...has the right-of-way.

See how simple that is?

Old 02-27-2020, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

K, not sure I can read any more, I’m dying of laughing already.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:03 AM

In Florida pedestrians in a crosswalk have the right of way. I believe it's a $100 fine to a driver. If they're on the multimodal trail walking across give him the benefit of the doubt and let him cross.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Sage

I realize pedestrians have the right of way "IF" they're in a controlled crosswalk OR if they've already stepped off the curb and are walking. In the case I was talking about it's not truly a "controlled" crosswalk as some are. The cross-traffic is supposed to stop (NOT the vehicles) to let them pass. The pedestrians I saw that day had stopped BUT were trying to flag the vehicles to stop so they could pass. THAT to me is like trying to be traffic controllers. That particular road is already hazardous due to the volumn of cars coming in off Stillwater and the round-about. Guess you'd have to come and try it for yourselves!! It can be crazy there and I have to wonder how many accidents happen at that area. I see cars stopping continually and motioning carts to go on---THAT is againest the law and you can also ask any sheriff in our area. It's the same as at the gate crossings!!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So drivers are not supposed to run into people who are in the road in front of them??!!?? Thanks so much for pointing that out to all us drivers that would not have known any better. You hear that folks?? DO NOT RUN YOUR CARS INTO PEOPLE!!

Very true. Pedestrians who walk in a crosswalk against a red light are in the wrong. They are illegally crossing the street, although in a crosswalk, but they are still wrong. The vehicle has the right of way with the green light.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Read the actual law which was quoted in the post above. Any pedestrian entering a crosswalk against a red light has a death wish and they will be dead wrong if they are killed by a vehicle who has the green light.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnomore View Post
it's actually very simple.

If a dog jumps out of a moving car that's driving down the mmp, then wanders out to the solid white line in a roundabout to pee, the non-street legal golf cart barreling in the opposite direction of the roundabout at 32 mph, must swerve around the dog before coming to a complete stop and the duck on the curb waddling past the village gate that is down...has the right-of-way.

See how simple that is?

:d
I just spewed coffee all over my computer screen. Thanks for the laugh!!!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 AM

Pedestrians always have the right of way. Period! I don't know why anyone would state otherwise. This is basic drivers education lesson 1. In every state, that's the law. Now for that intersection. Set at the outside bar at Sonny's, grab a drink and enjoy the show. Horn blowing and near misses are the norm. You can even hear drivers yelling at each other. It is the best entertainment in The Villages!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:26 AM
Sage

This excerpt is from Dan Newlin's website FAQ..........

"If a motor vehicle has a green light, pedestrians and bicyclists should yield the right of way to that vehicle. If a pedestrian or bicyclist is crossing a road at a location other than an intersection, and there is no traffic device directing or restricting traffic, the pedestrian or bicyclist should exercise reasonable control and judgment, and not presume an oncoming motor vehicle will yield to them."

Tags
traffic, stop, cross, wary, season

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.