Traffic issues and questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 07:51 AM
Default Crosswalk?

What "legally" defines a "marked crosswalk"? Specifically around the square in Brownwood?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 AM

Yes, I’ve noticed too that many golf cart drivers think they have the right-of-way. Twice now since the beginning of the year, have avoided really, really close accident encounters with cart drivers. They are completely oblivious.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
Pedestrians always have the right of way. Period! I don't know why anyone would state otherwise. This is basic drivers education lesson 1. In every state, that's the law.
Talk like that will get somebody killed!
Steve
Old 02-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Default Courtesy is contagious!

No matter whether there is a trivial one or not, let it go and think PEACE!

Old 02-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Just run down someone in the crosswalk and see who has the “right of way” when the police get there.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:57 AM

Right, once within a crosswalk a vehicle does have to yield to pedestrians. I get so upset when people just proceed into the crosswalk with oncoming traffic, that's just not right.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

For a pedestrian to walk out on to a road (whatever kind of markings) and hope that a moving 3000 pound vehicle might stop and not hit them, is a great leap of faith. Why would one risk that kind of injury? Even if the driver is at fault, it will be the pedestrian that suffers for the rest of their lives.

Having had “the right of way” will not make up for the metal inside one’s body pinning body parts together. And insurance money doesn’t take away the chronic pain either.

Last edited by Velvet; 02-28-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:01 AM

Impatient drivers, speeding, no turn signals used, carts passing and speeding down the middle of the road,not stopping at stop signs seem to be the norm. Would be good if we all slowed down a bit and enjoyed our retirement.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:06 AM
Michael Charles

As I get older I find myself remembering my father's words to me that the cemetery has many bodies that had "the right of way"
Old 02-28-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The cited code “allows a pedestrian, WITH A PERMITTED SIGNAL, to cross a roadway“ at a signalized intersection.

Does that mean the driver of a car can just hit a pedestrian who is illegally crossing? No. Duh. But does that mean a person who steps into the crosswalk without a “permitted signal” has the right-of-way? Absolutely not. It is NOT the law.

Now, regarding that dog pee...
You might want to read the second sentence (paragraph B) under what you PARTIALLY quoted:

(b)The driver of a vehicle at any crosswalk where signage so indicates shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

Dumb rule or not (def DUMB) it's the law. Really now, OBVIOUSLY a driver can't just hit a pedestrian, but that isn't the issue in question, the issue is what the law states. If you get a few seconds of free time also read paragraph (C).

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-28-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added pretty colors and highlights
Old 02-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Look...when in doubt...ALWAYS yield. Otherwise, go argue in court that you ran over a pedestrian because you had the right of way...even when you saw that pedestrian and had the opportunity to stop. In The Villages, never be in a hurry! We all have a right to live...even if one has to spend a few extra moments in the car!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajoe View Post
What "legally" defines a "marked crosswalk"? Specifically around the square in Brownwood?
Good question but I would guess if (for example) the entire road is paved in blacktop and there is an obvious path of stone pavers from one side to the other in the shape of a pathway that likely might be considered a crosswalk.

Here, from Google:

WHAT IS THE LEGAL DEFINITION OF A CROSSWALK?

The 2000 Uniform Vehicle Code and Model Traffic Ordinance (Uniform Vehicle Code) (Section 1-112) defines a crosswalk as: (1)

"That part of a roadway at an intersection included within the connections of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway measured from the curbs, or in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the traversable roadway; and in the absence of a sidewalk on one side of the roadway, the part of a roadway included within the extension of the lateral lines of the existing sidewalk at right angles to the centerline.
Any portion of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface."

Thus, a crosswalk at an intersection is defined as the extension of the sidewalk or the shoulder across the intersection, regardless of whether it is marked or not
. The only way a crosswalk can exist at a midblock location is if it is marked. Most jurisdictions have crosswalk laws that make it legal for pedestrians to cross the street at any intersection, whether marked or not, unless the pedestrian crossing is specifically prohibited.

According to Section 3B.17 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), crosswalks serve the following purposes: (2)

"Crosswalk markings provide guidance for pedestrians who are crossing roadways by defining and delineating paths on approaches to and within signalized intersections, and on approaches to other intersections where traffic stops.

Crosswalk markings also serve to alert road users of a pedestrian crossing point across roadways not controlled by traffic signals or STOP signs.

At intersection locations, crosswalk markings legally establish the crosswalk."

Chapter 1 - Safety Effects of Marked Versus Unmarked Crosswalks at Uncontrolled Locations Final Report and Recommended Guidelines, September 2005 - FHWA-HRT-04-100

Last edited by EdFNJ; 02-28-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You might want to read the second sentence (paragraph B) under what you PARTIALLY quoted:

(b)The driver of a vehicle at any crosswalk where signage so indicates shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk[/U] and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

Dumb rule or not (def DUMB) it's the law. Really now, OBVIOUSLY a driver can't just hit a pedestrian, but that isn't the issue in question, the issue is what the law states. If you get a few seconds of free time also read paragraph (C).
I’ll quote again from your quote above...

“The driver of a vehicle at any crosswalk WHERE SIGNAGE SO INDICATES shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross a roadway”.

It’s not a dumb rule. It’s just being grossly misinterpreted.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM
theruizs

This all used to drive me nuts. After being away from the rat race for a while now and realizing I just have no reason to hurry about, I try to take all in stride. Yes, I agree, when you have the right away you should take it. But if someone isn’t going to give it to you just let them have it. They likely haven’t had time to mellow out yet, so just cut them some slack. You’ll keep your own peace better too. But with pedestrians, they always have the right away in crosswalks, period. And since that is a multi-modal path, it is a crosswalk there. But even if they aren’t in a crosswalk, is it really worth getting upset about or upsetting someone else?
Old 02-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajoe View Post
Is it incorrect to assume the pavers in the road are the crosswalk? I know it is not the designated markings but wondering if others also take those pavers to be a crosswalk.

Tags
traffic, stop, cross, wary, season

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.