Traffic lane use

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well we know who all of the latent road rage folks are.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I often drive in the left lane on 4-lane roads like 44, 466, and 466A.

When I turn left onto a 4-lane road, I always stay in the left lane until the traffic clears enough so that I can pull over to the right lane. Since I never exceed the posted speed limit, that can take awhile because the other cars are going faster and often do not leave me enough room to pull over.

When driving on Morse or Buena Vista and planning to turn left, I move over to the left lane (driving 30-35 mph) well ahead of the roundabout where I plan to turn.
How far?
What about the car that turns onto Buena Vista at CR466 and moves to the left lane anticipating a left turn at CR466A? is that well ahead.
BTW state law says if you are driving at or below the speed limit you should move to the right. Why do you think all those cars are going faster...……………….?
Old 09-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

I call that villages drag racing.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbare View Post
WHY Do people drive in the left lane below speed limit? WHY? The left lane is for passing or if you are about to turn left. We are NOT in England folks PLEASE drive like you are supposed to.
Read the law, no law against driving in left lane. Law is for impeding traffic in left lane. So in you're incident the driver should of moved over and let faster moving traffic pass regardless if the are speeding. Could you imagine everybody coming down 441 with three lanes of traffic in the right lane? Not going to happen, just like driving in left lane Not impeding traffic not going to get ticketed.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

On the highways I think the appropriate term is INCONSIDERATE....
Old 09-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Hubby as a professional driver, expects everyone to drive appropriately. I tell him there are different rules in TV. Many drivers would love to drive with his reflexes but they can’t. Some people would rather not drive at all but they they have to - to go anywhere. Not only is everything, like groceries, far away from most homes, there aren’t even sidewalks to walk on. And no public transportation at all.

So in my opinion, if you have a lot of trouble with old folks attempt at driving, either get behind public transportation for TV, or go live somewhere else where these are not problems. Because those old folks are not going to get any younger!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasetti82 View Post
Yes you are right,quite a few years ago when Yankees invaded Florida.Why do you think these drivers you are complaining about are Floridians ?
Because I have lived in the south my entire life. When the trend started many years ago, it certainly appeared to me the vehicles all had FL plates. And, when I visited FL I found it to be common. I don’t know, though, if the drivers were originally from FL or were transplants. The problem did not exist in GA or SC until recent years where it has become more and more common.

Several years ago, GA passed a law allowing drivers to be ticketed who drove in the left lane without moving over. I have never seen it enforced, though, and in fact I rarely see highway patrol vehicle anywhere but the left lane.

Last edited by pacjag; 09-05-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
If you're turning left onto a 4-lane road, there should be no traffic to clear, or you shouldn't be making your left hand turn.
I often drive north on Morse and stop at 466A, planning to turn left.

When I get the turn signal to turn left, I go west on 466A and stay in the left lane. The cars coming south on Morse have a red light, but they often go west on 466A and are right beside me.

I keep driving at 40-45 mph in the left lane of 466A until the cars in the right lane give me a chance to pull into the right lane.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:53 PM

Oh, they're gonna turn left just, 3 or 4 miles further down, and they want to be ready!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

No ned to worry, it's just the old year round residents that shouldn't be driving anymore. Everything will get better as soon as all the snowbirds start their migration south.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
I often drive north on Morse and stop at 466A, planning to turn left.

When I get the turn signal to turn left, I go west on 466A and stay in the left lane. The cars coming south on Morse have a red light, but they often go west on 466A and are right beside me.

I keep driving at 40-45 mph in the left lane of 466A until the cars in the right lane give me a chance to pull into the right lane.
Understood. But there should still only be one vehicle who is...illegally...turning right-on-red into your path. Should be a pretty easy quick adjustment to get over to the right lane.

The above assumes you have a green arrow. If you have only a green ball, then the right turner likely has the right-of-way and you should be waiting on them to complete their right turn before you complete your left turn. Another easy adjustment into the right lane.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 09-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Understood. But there should still only be one vehicle who is...illegally...turning right-on-red into your path.
Often there are more than two vehicles turning west on 466A at the red light. They usually go faster than I choose to drive, so I wait until all of them are past before I pull over to the right lane.

Quote:
The above assumes you have a green arrow.
Yes.

Quote:
If you have only a green ball, then the right turner likely has the right-of-way and you should be waiting on them to complete their right turn before you complete your left turn.
Yes, that is what I do if I only have a green ball.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Often there are more than two vehicles turning west on 466A at the red light. They usually go faster than I choose to drive, so I wait until all of them are past before I pull over to the right lane.

Yes.

Yes, that is what I do if I only have a green ball.
Sounds like you’re a safe driver.

The drivers who are making a right-turn-on-red while you’re performing a left turn with a green arrow are breaking the law.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The drivers who are making a right-turn-on-red while you’re performing a left turn with a green arrow are breaking the law.
We didn't face that as often in Virginia but it seems to happen all the time down here.

For example, we often leave Brownwood and go south on Powell Road to reach Route 44, wait for the light, and turn west on Route 44. Many times cars come out of the road next to Sparr and turn west on Route 44, even though they have a red light.

Since we are in the left lane of Route 44, there is no problem. When the traffic clears up, I move to the right lane.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Maybe write a book, with all the options........

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.