Traffic speeds ever increasing!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2018, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Traffic speeds ever increasing!!

Once upon a time one would see speed traps set up in various locations around TV.
This past year it has been very obvious there have been significantly fewer/none.
As a result the speeds on the roadways have continued to increase....in many areas by more than 10 mph.

I have maintained in the past and still maintain there should be a separate unit of law enforcement that does nothing but enforce traffic laws. The unit(s) would be self funding via ticket revenues.

We all know enforcement works. School zones....our favorite little towns notorious for notorious speed traps, etc.

Why?

ENFORCEMENT!! Very lacking throughout TV.

The traffic violations and numerous (per day) accidents/near misses are the single most negative aspect of TV life style. NO ENFORCEMENT!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Once upon a time one would see speed traps set up in various locations around TV.
This past year it has been very obvious there have been significantly fewer/none.
As a result the speeds on the roadways have continued to increase....in many areas by more than 10 mph.

I have maintained in the past and still maintain there should be a separate unit of law enforcement that does nothing but enforce traffic laws. The unit(s) would be self funding via ticket revenues.

We all know enforcement works. School zones....our favorite little towns notorious for notorious speed traps, etc.

Why?

The traffic violations and numerous (per day) accidents/near misses are the single most negative aspect of TV life style. NO ENFORCEMENT!
In the past week I have seen Sumter County Deputies working radar on Morse, Buena Vista, and from a postal station lot on Woodridge Drive. Just because you don't see them, it doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
In the past week I have seen Sumter County Deputies working radar on Morse, Buena Vista, and from a postal station lot on Woodridge Drive. Just because you don't see them, it doesn't mean they aren't out there.
No inference to whether they are "out there" or not.
The point is there is significantly less traffic enforcement than in the past. And there should be many, MANY more traps!
In my humble opinion.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
The point is there is significantly less traffic enforcement than in the past. And there should be many, MANY more traps!
In my humble opinion.
I agree with you. In the past 5 years we've lived here I've seen a big difference in LEO prescence here in the villages and ever increasing speeding.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
In my humble opinion.
My point simply being I've personally observed three "traps" in a 7 day period. Seems like a good amount to me.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:

If you are speaking of the speed traps Waldo used to have, I am sure you know they disbanded the police force there altogether after the state started an investigation into the number of tickets they were handing out (12000 a year).
Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Why?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Platinum member

I agree, the speed limits are just being ignored especially in golf carts. Would someone please set a trap on Bailey Trail and pull over golf carts. We have a speedometer and we do 20. The governor will kick in and slow us down at 20.8 on a downhill and we're lucky to get 19 uphill near Cane Garden. Carts are going past us like we're sitting still. No turn signals are being used or if they are, are not being shut off so you don't know if they're going to turn or not. We have seen several close calls at intersections and carts making turns on 2 wheels. Slow down folks! Nothing is that important to put lives in danger. The carts are not toys.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Gold member

I am fed up with the high speeds on Powell Rd between 44a and 466a. The limit is 35 mph but most all traffic goes 50-55mph. Trucks are the worst offenders. Complaints to the city and county have done nothing.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:

Why?

100% agree if done on a national level
They could wipe out the national debt

Driving isn't fun any longer
Old 04-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I am fed up with the high speeds on Powell Rd between 44a and 466a. The limit is 35 mph but most all traffic goes 50-55mph. Trucks are the worst offenders. Complaints to the city and county have done nothing.
I see the radar units set up on that section of Powell on a regular basis, that is one area where I set my cruise at 37 as I know they're watching it. I would say I see at least one if not more radar cars every day, not so much on Morse, I don't know that I ever saw one on Morse, but on the other roads I travel. People that go too fast will eventually get caught or get in an accident, hopefully one that does not cause injuries. It's like that everywhere. I would also like to mention that people going 25 in a 45 MPH zone are just as dangerous as those going 55.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Be careful what you wish for? Usually the baddest offenders escape. 35 mph speed limit on portions of BV and 'MB BS anyway. Set so the LSVs can speed 30 to 40 MPH Down them. Few go 35 down BV and portions of MB. I got passed by cart in golf cart lane on BT in my car and I was going 30MPH with line behind me. IMO any looping trail you see this same thing, speeding. What we need are some more motorcycle cops. What do the got 2? Also need meter maids around the square ticket all the illegal parking, traffic violations, and drunks. Then, they can move on to diamond lane illegal parked cars, outrageous golf cart speeders.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Unfortunately, when they do write speeding citations, so many get on here complaining as to "why they are not out there catching 'real' criminals". No win situation for them. Anyone in that big of a hurry just needs to leave earlier or not schedule every activity for the same day.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-27-2018, 02:44 PM
Gold member

I’m up north now, and lots of people
speed around here to!
I wonder sometimes if the traffic is too fast,
or I’m slowing down! Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

LEO could sit on any street at 6am and ticket at least 40 lawn companies and biggest offender the garage trucks

Tags
enforcement, traffic, speeds, past, notorious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.