Trailwinds Dental Beware

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2022, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,603 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Lack of periodontal disease at our ages is a good thing. Keep up the good home care.

You do realize that what the practice pays the hygienist is just the beginning of their actual costs of delivering treatment? I will have to check with my wife (retired for a while so perhaps a little out of touch with current fees), but I believe $250 a quadrant is a typical cost for root planing. I am lucky in that my wife practiced otherwise separating the wheat from the chaff could be challenging. Second opinions are good.
I was quoted $1,200 for deep cleaning 3 quadrants, in a 1 to 1.5 hour procedure. So, $400 per quadrant. Now, I pay about $100 for a regular cleaning.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Time for small claims court, maybe get their dental license pulled and a fraud investigation started by the state atty general.
Oh yes! I agree. I wouldn’t have paid it
Old 12-07-2022, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Many dentists are pushing the "Deep cleaning package". My dentist wants $3,500.00 for the medication involved and the cleaning itself. Nothing wrong with my gums, no bleeding, no pain, but they claim my "numbers" are too high. So when I ask for just a regular cleaning they refused, telling me that would be malpractice because I need a "Deep cleaning". Further, after the deep cleaning I would have to go back to the dentist for a regular cleaning every 2 -3 months for the rest of my life. Sounds like the dental profession has found a way to generate more income.
My advice: get a second opinion. It's easy to "find" pockets that "need" a "deep cleaning" if that is what the business is after. Same thing happened to me on a "new patient special". Went back to my regular trusted dentist back up north and he said "no way" and laughed. There are plenty of profitable "add ons" when doing SRP. Beware. I had 40+ years in the dental industry and know how these things can work, and not in favor of your wallet.,
Old 12-07-2022, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Prices do vary a bit. I pay $67 for a regular cleaning (prophy) and $145 for prophy, bitewings, and Dr’s exam (once per year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was quoted $1,200 for deep cleaning 3 quadrants, in a 1 to 1.5 hour procedure. So, $400 per quadrant. Now, I pay about $100 for a regular cleaning.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,247 Times in 4,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
However, I have Never heard of a dental office charging a “late fee.” That’s a red flag right there. They aren’t a credit card company!
It's quite common for practices to charge a "finance fee" on amounts owed.

It's typically about 18%/year and should be declared when you first enter the practice, when you sign your insurance papers...

$100, otoh, is ridiculous...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Default Deep Cleaning

Quote:
You don’t want the dentist doing any sort of cleaning for two reason: a hygienist will typically be better at it and, secondly, the dentist should be spending his/her time doing exams and restorative work. Root planing, aka deep cleaning, is appropriate when you have periodontal disease with deep pockets that can’t be reached with dental floss. It is a standard practice in dentistry. Whether you need it is another story. If you move and start with a new dentist who recommends this procedure and your previous dentist did not, then you might want to get a second opinion. There are essentially two possibilities: your previous dentist was remiss or the new dentist is recommending a treatment you don’t need.
Firstly I take Umbridge with the term "Periodontal DISEASE". IMHO, the dental folks use that term to frighten, or, coerce patients to agree that a deep cleaning is necessary. It is not a DISEASE, the condition is caused, in some folks, simply by the process of ageing. An analogy would be calling facial wrinkles "Wrinkle disease".
Secondly, I agree that those "pockets" cannot be reached by using dental floss, but I GUARANTEE those pockets can be reached, and thoroughly cleaned, by using water floss, or, a "Water Pic", on a strong setting. I know this for a fact because I use water floss after every meal. And so, would a dentist ask, or recommend using water floss? The answer is NO! Because there is no financial gain when offering moral and ethical advice. All said IMHO.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I didn't make up the term so please take your complaint to the ADA. Regarding using a water pic, my hygienist recommended that I start using one soon after I started with their office. The word is "umbrage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Firstly I take Umbridge with the term "Periodontal DISEASE". IMHO, the dental folks use that term to frighten, or, coerce patients to agree that a deep cleaning is necessary. It is not a DISEASE, the condition is caused, in some folks, simply by the process of ageing. An analogy would be calling facial wrinkles "Wrinkle disease".
Secondly, I agree that those "pockets" cannot be reached by using dental floss, but I GUARANTEE those pockets can be reached, and thoroughly cleaned, by using water floss, or, a "Water Pic", on a strong setting. I know this for a fact because I use water floss after every meal. And so, would a dentist ask, or recommend using water floss? The answer is NO! Because there is no financial gain when offering moral and ethical advice. All said IMHO.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
You don’t want the dentist doing any sort of cleaning for two reason: a hygienist will typically be better at it and, secondly, the dentist should be spending his/her time doing exams and restorative work. Root planing, aka deep cleaning, is appropriate when you have periodontal disease with deep pockets that can’t be reached with dental floss. It is a standard practice in dentistry. Whether you need it is another story. If you move and start with a new dentist who recommends this procedure and your previous dentist did not, then you might want to get a second opinion. There are essentially two possibilities: your previous dentist was remiss or the new dentist is recommending a treatment you don’t need.
Quote:
I didn't make up the term so please take your complaint to the ADA. Regarding using a water pic, my hygienist recommended that I start using one soon after I started with their office. The word is "umbrage".
Sorry, I was not directing my complaint regarding the term "periodontal disease" at you, or your use of the term. I was referring to the dentist who use that term. Also, your dental office is evidently more ethical than the two dental offices I have been seen in.
AND, thank you for the spelling correction, my mistake.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathe View Post
Trailwinds quoted me $800 for dental services, $385 payable by me, remaining payable by insurance. Paid $385 - after work done they said insurance didn't cover. I paid the difference plus $100 penalty for late. I tried to talk to them, they wouldn't return my call. Seniors against crime they did talk to but to no avail. Numbers were in black and white but they wouldn't stand behind it.
Sounds like conformation was missing. Did you request them to call and verify with insurance first? Just the word of the receptionist (or other) at the office is not good enough.

Also, you can call yourself to verify. (the best way)

There are many different plans under same insurance carriers for everything. Also, depending on the "coding" used for payment, the "payable" amount can be different.

Always check prior to having anything done. Staff make mistakes. Get it in writing whenever possible, all you have to do is ask for it.

My wife goes there. Never had any issues.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:37 AM

I go to Trailwinds and had the deeper cleaning because I calcify. They were referred by my insurance site. Two hours and about $200 out of pocket. They did a great job, healed the gums and my teeth are squeaky clean for a while. We did it in two sessions.

Sounds like someone in billing messed up. Make sure they really called the insurance company and find out why it was denied. Wrong codes maybe. If so, they used a crappy procedure and I’ll watch out.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Water pics are like the sprayer at the hand held car wash. Unless you use the "scrub/soapy" brush too, your car, or teeth, really won't be clean(and SHINEY!)
Old 12-11-2022, 11:24 AM
Default Deep cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGo View Post
Sold me the deep cleaning package it's the same as a regular cleaning, only ins. doesn't cover it. I dropped them.
No insurance company has a code for "deep cleaning" & therefore it is never covered. It,therefore, is not a legitimate term. It would more correctly be termed "root planing & curretage" which is technically periodontal treatment. Someone who has their teeth cleaned every 10 years probably needs more than a routine cleaning known as "scaling & prophylaxis.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I have a couple of different bridges in my mouth and through no fault of my own I’ve had gum problems but not for many years. I get a periodontal maintenance cleaning every 3 months I believe the price is $165 ,do I need it every 3 months most likely not but it can’t hurt

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 12-11-2022 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You missed the point. Water piks are for those areas that you can’t get to with a tooth brush or floss. Brush, water pik, and floss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Water pics are like the sprayer at the hand held car wash. Unless you use the "scrub/soapy" brush too, your car, or teeth, really won't be clean(and SHINEY!)
Closed Thread

Tags
trailwinds, insurance, dental, paid, talk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.