Traitors??

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
I understand! We were in the same boat for several months and there are still a lot of homes on the market here. Number one, we paid $350 for an appraisal which was $20,000 lower than what we wanted, so we came down to that and then came down again!! Hurts but we want to move that bad!
Wendy, I think that this is probably true more frequently than not. About a year and a half ago it took us a couple of months to sell a home and had to ask for less that we would have liked to then had to come down again when an offer came in so we could sell and get over.

Going back 27 years ago when we sold the second to last home, the basic same thing happened except then it took about 15 months to sell! In both cases we made price drops before getting an offer.

Then believe it or not the home going back even further sold before we even put it on the market to a friend of the only person we told it was going to be sold... and then for the full asking price! Go figure?

Anyway, good luck with your selliing!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

GeorgeT,

First of all, welcome to the Villages.

We sold our place in the Villages in 2007 and moved to Costa Rica on the Pacific side. We bought a one bedroom condo and planned to live in it until our two bedroom condo was built. After 4 months we decided to sell and move back to the states. Luckily, we sold both of them. Only after buying a house in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas and living there for 9 months did we finally decide the Villages is the only place we wanted to live. So we have been back almost two years, and we are here for the duration. The two bedroom condo is still being built.

GeorgeT,

It sounds as though you made the right decision.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 AM

We had the gammot of reactions from some family not saying much to other members deciding we won't be happy to a friend jealously acting out to other friends wishing us all the best and keeping in contact. In the few short months we've been here we haven't lacked for company! As far as we are concerned, we made an excellent decision and wouldn't change anything! Travel is much different today than it was in the past. You can go anywhere with very little effort (as long as you don't mind TSA restrictions and remember to pack a lunch!). People will adapt. Of course they are sad to see you go and need to make changes around that. Keep in contact with everyone via phone and email and offer them a visit.
Congrats on your decision!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
It's tough when "life" as so many know it, changes. When you move away, those you know and love will have their lives changed. So will yours. You're heading off to a new adventure, they are left behind, missing a part of their "life"....you. Alas, things are always changing. Nothing stays the same forever. Go forward to your next phase, be happy, smile and be understanding of those who will miss you. Just as you will adjust to your new circumstances, they will adjust to their new existence. Keep in touch, ask them to visit. Those who feel you've left them might just not be able to tolerate change easily....even a little and can't imagine how anyone else could. If they decide they will no longer stay in touch, just remember all the good times you've shared and smile.....then go and continue to make more good memories with all the new people you'll meet and share time with.
Pooh, That's an excellent way to look at it!

Hi Wendy,
We were faced with somewhat of a reverse of the situation you describe. After my Dad died last year, many people have asked us if we are going to "make" my Mom move back to Atlanta. Two of my three brothers and me live in ATL.

Our answer is no. She lives in a retirement community in Boca Raton that she loves. It is very easy for her to get around. She has a large network of incredibly supportive friends there. Looking more long term, my hubby and I and at least one of my ATL brothers and his wife plan to move to Florida in the next few years.

Instead of forcing her to uproot against her wishes, we go down often to visit and give assistance. At least one of has been down there every month since my Dad died. When she wants to come up here, one of us flies down and flies back to Atlanta with her. We are fortunate that she is in excellent health and still able to live independently. She plays bridge, golfs and does other things that would be harder for her to do in Atlanta. If she ever can't live on her own, we'll cross that bridge.

In the meantime, we wouldn't dream of taking from her more than she has already lost-- the love of her life.

Yes, it is a two-way street. Love and compassion doesn't have to mean keeping loved ones closer to us at the expense of what's better for them.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
My husband and I visited The Villages for 2 months last year and decided "this is for us", so we came back to eastern NC and within a couple of weeks got our house and 5 acres on the market last July. We recently accepted an offer that we hope will close the end of May. We are very excited and packing each day in anticipation. We have made arrangements to rent a place in Palo Alto for a year to be sure of where we'd like to settle.
Although not home to us, we have lived in this little town for 40 years and have very good friends, our church family, and one son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren that we will be leaving behind. I'm amazed to discover we are being treated as "traitors" for leaving and I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same attitudes.

The town where we live is very depressed and steadily declining with no opportunities for recreation and virtually no decent restaurants. Many years ago few people locked doors at night but all that has changed and we have even had robberies in the Wal Mart parking lot!! I am having a hard time trying to explain why we want to leave without putting this area down and I don't want to do that as it is home to most of our friends and you naturally have strong ties to the area where you were "born and raised". They think it is "God's Country"!

Honestly, their attitudes just make me want to get to The Villages that much quicker to meet new people and get started on "the last chapter of our lives". Personally I don't want to spend my "Golden Years" rocking on the front porch!
My family keeps reminding me of all things "home." To me, home was a depressing place with high drug rates, multi-national gangs, more speech in Spanish than in English, congested traffic, loud sirens, deadbolt locks on the doors and windows. I speak more with my family now, through email and telephone, than I did when I lived at "home."
I'm happy here (except for missing the grandchildren's daily lives.)
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Smile

Oh, yes! My husbands son and wife called us traitors and could not understand why we were abandoning the family. They asked had we explored our town or somewhere close by. ( we have been to every state in the US). We too were bored, limited activities. Interesting our friends although were sad that we were leaving were supportive at the same time. Some have already visited and understand why we moved. The kids are now accepting but still don't completely understand but then they will not be here until mid April.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJODO View Post
.....The kids are now accepting but still don't completely understand but then they will not be here until mid April.
I think they'll "get it" once they're there to see it all in person!

Bill
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
We told family we were thinking about moving to Costa Rica then when we "changed" our minds and choose The Villages everyone was more receptive.
We just spent a month this winter in Costa Rica because my husband though he might like to move there. I think he got it out of his system. It would be to big a change. But there are a lot of Americans and Canadians there. We had some people that didn't think we would leave either, even after talking about it for 2 yrs. Then after we got back from Costa Rica we put our house up for sale and I think now they know we are serious about TV.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Sage

IMHO - those who are calling one a traitor is more concerned about their well being and not the well being of the people moving to a new adventure.

One visit and they will see the reson for the move to TV.

For the children and grand-children, did you mention that TV is 56 miles away from Disney World?

There is an old saying., " when everyone gets through running their mouth, then I run my business.

Everyone needs to make themselves happy. If they look for happiness in other people, there is a good chance they will be disappointed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.