Tram

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Default Tram

I would be a great help if they could run a tram from a specified parking lot during events. I am handicapped and if I don't get there early, I have to park blocks away. A tram to shuttle people back and forth may alleviate some of the parking situation.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
I would be a great help if they could run a tram from a specified parking lot during events. I am handicapped and if I don't get there early, I have to park blocks away. A tram to shuttle people back and forth may alleviate some of the parking situation.
Most trams are not handicapped accessible....you'd still have the same problem.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM

I'm able to walk, just not a great distance
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum member

I think FrankD deserves a golf cart tram. Logistically, it might be a nightmare, but I have long noted that handicapped parking spaces are really few and far between almost everywhere.

The hospital operates a golf-cart shuttle for those forced to park well away from the facility. It could be instituted at/near each Square.

That said, I question the practicality: a minimum of one cart and one driver at each location (probably should be at least two, maybe even three) every night of the week requires as many as 21 carts and drivers! Who's to cover the (modest) cost?

Bottom line: it could easily be done with volunteers and a small contribution towards the cost of gas, but the administration of it might just kill it altogether!

SWR
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Frank I think the answer is a wheelchair. When I was looking at over 55 communities I notice most were not set up to use wheelchairs and walkers. I also notice very very few individuals used them. I think you should try and start a trend and get people out of the house and show then that wheelchairs can be use. My wife has a distant walking problem but even more of a problem with having to stand still - long lines. We solved it by buying a wheelchair. We can go for a few months without using it but we do put it in the trunk of the car when we think we will need it. It is also rather easy to push a wheelchair on paved ground that does not have steep hills. Since you can walk you could use the chair as a walker and a place to sit. Last week I asked a golf cart salesperson (I do not have a cart) if a wheelchair would fit. He said he had never been asked that question. I think it will and if not a two sear it could in a four. Thus I think the wheelchair or a walker is what you should start using. Hopefully you will set an example and more people will start getting out by using one. I am not sure about the villages but you maybe able to borrow one from a fire house. The idea would be to see how easy they are to use before you buy one.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.