Medical Helicopter

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Default Medical Helicopter

Can anyone explain why every time (or almost every time)when there is an accident in The Villages they are always air lifted to another hospital in Ocala or Leesburgh.
I have seen accidents at Morse Circle where the patient was taken by helicopter,when they were only 1/2 mile from our hospital in The Villages.
Same thing this morning,golf cart accident at the entrance to the golf cart bridge,medical copter took patient elsewhere, less than 1 mile to Villages Hospital.
Does anyone know how much it costs to be air lifted instead of going to The Villages Hospital.
Apparently we must keep supporting the medical copter.
Comments please?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Default Re: Medical Helicopter

Is the Villages hospital a trauma center?? That might be the reason..The patient needs a trauma center and they airlift to the closest trauma center..If the Villages has a trauma center, then i have no clue!
Hope that helps..
Donna :dontknow:

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow
Can anyone explain why every time (or almost every time)when there is an accident in The Villages they are always air lifted to another hospital in Ocala or Leesburgh.
I have seen accidents at Morse Circle where the patient was taken by helicopter,when they were only 1/2 mile from our hospital in The Villages.
Same thing this morning,golf cart accident at the entrance to the golf cart bridge,medical copter took patient elsewhere, less than 1 mile to Villages Hospital.
Does anyone know how much it costs to be air lifted instead of going to The Villages Hospital.
Apparently we must keep supporting the medical copter.
Comments please?
Funny, I thought of exactly the same thing yesterday. I wonder if, since insurance pays for ambulance, they use the helicopter ambulance whether it's really needed or not.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Platinum member

In case of a real emergency, where The Villages hospital would not be adequate, I would prefer to be taken to Shands in Gainesville. Wonder if this is possible by helicopter.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

I am not too sure about Florida protocol although I believe the are the same in all states regarding the Golden Hour! We have to transpot to the nearest facility (Class1) if air transport is not available, then they will fly the patient to the appropriate facility if needed..

If the accident, or medical emergency is so severe that the nearest facility is NOT adequate, then you will be air lifted automatically! Weather permitting...

The patient must be stabilized FIRST!

If you are being taken by ground, and you are in immediate need of treatment, you have to go to the closest facility..Once there, after being stabilized you can choose not to stay there, then again only if the weather permits air transport ...

Hope that helped your confusion a little!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM

i know if you're having a stroke you'll want to go to the leesburg(LRMC) as they are a stroke trama center and can administer the newest drug protocols which increase your chances of surviving without permanent extensive paralysis. i don't know about other emergency situations.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Gold member

The determinant about using a helicopter (medevac) is based, I believe on the nature of the injury. Certain types require transport to Level 1 or 2 Trauma centers or Burn Centers. Things like cardiac arrest require transport to closest Emergency Facility. There are exceptions when facilities have no beds available and go on divert. Most injuries involving serious auto accidents, burns and injuries to children require helicopter transport to Centers where trained trauma surgeons are on staff and in-house, and not just on-call. Neithe LRMC or TVRH are trauma centers

First responders are trained to assess the nature of the injury and the mechanism of injury. They stabilize the patient and the crew onboard the helicopter are trained at a higher level than First Responders (Firemen, Police, EMT's and Paramedics). They are in radio contact with the receiving hospital's staff while enroute. We are fortunate in TV to have the superb First Responders in The Public Safety Dept who respond to anything within minutes and access to Medevac for the short flights to Trauma centers. Many lives have been saved and quicker recovery for accident victims has been ithe case since TV added this department. Believe me, it hasn't always been this way.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.