Transportation within TV from home to Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Transportation within TV from home to Hospital

Due to health problems I can longer drive and my other half is at Freedom Pointe and I would really like to visit him. I am having difficulty finding local transportation within TV. I can get plenty of long range transportation, but nobody seems to wants to transport within TV. Any recommendations please would be much appreciated.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-26-2021, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Due to health problems I can longer drive and my other half is at Freedom Pointe and I would really like to visit him. I am having difficulty finding local transportation within TV. I can get plenty of long range transportation, but nobody seems to wants to transport within TV. Any recommendations please would be much appreciated.
Try calling the hospital. They will know about all shuttle services etc.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Can any neighbors/friends help?
Old 11-27-2021, 07:07 AM
Sage

My neighbors have been wonderful, but they have their own lives to live and I need to find reliable transport within TV. There are plenty of car services to the airport where they get paid a lot more than taking people through The Villages.

After my experience these past two weeks, it is obvious that local transport is necessary in a retirement community. It is not until you find yourself in my type of situation that you realize that getting old in TV is not as easy as one expected, and as soon as my other half has recovered to the point of being able to travel we will return to the safety of our family. Until then I need transportation. I am able to afford a car service, the problem is finding one.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

OP, give Kim's Cab service a try 352.239.2133

good luck
Old 11-27-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
OP, give Kim's Cab service a try 352.239.2133

good luck
Thank you, I will give her a call. A reliable cab service is what I am looking for and I can not thank you enough for the suggestion.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

A lot of other areas have county services that provide medical transportation. Sumter county does have a Transit office and seems like they provide services. I would give them a call - 352-689-4400.

Their site states:.
Sumter County Transit offers door-to-door service and deviated fixed shuttle routes. And, that you should schedule 3 days in advance..

Transit | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 11-27-2021, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Does Freedom Pointe have a list of approved transportation options?

Uber seems to not be a factor here.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

They do not get into transportation at all. I did try to get an Uber yesterday and there was nothing in the area. I have them on my phone and can try them again in the week after Thanksgiving calms down. This is a difficult time of the year with the approaching holidays. Anyway, I will survive and must get out of having a pity party lots of people much worse off than me

Old 11-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

You have found out what I was already aware many years ago that relying on transportation here or any other development in suburban fl is a serious problem, I long agi decided if I slowed down or got to the age of 85or86 I would move back to Boston , I’m I’ll be 83 next month still very healthy but I know I can be much more independent in a major city then I can here , Uber is great I use it many places but it has very little presence in the villages because there is not much demand , the villages and places like it are great places to live until your independence starts slipping away . Good luck to you your doing the right thing moving away , I have friends who have already moved back from retirement havens all over country some were very healthy but had trouble driving they don’t regret it at all , I’ve lived all over the world and have been in Florida for many years but my home will always be Boston
Old 11-27-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Thank you, I will give her a call. A reliable cab service is what I am looking for and I can not thank you enough for the suggestion.
If you are on nextdoor, they have a helping hand map in your particular area for folks who are there and volunteering to assist...you might find one close to your neighborhood that would be available to meet your need, and you can work out with them if schedule allows them to commit to your needs. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

Why do people keep saying Uber is a nonfactor here? Have you ever even tried to get Uber here or are you just repeating what somebody else said here.

I use Uber daily in and around TV and never had problems getting Uber before 10 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
You have found out what I was already aware many years ago that relying on transportation here or any other development in suburban fl is a serious problem, I long agi decided if I slowed down or got to the age of 85or86 I would move back to Boston , I’m I’ll be 83 next month still very healthy but I know I can be much more independent in a major city then I can here , Uber is great I use it many places but it has very little presence in the villages because there is not much demand , the villages and places like it are great places to live until your independence starts slipping away . Good luck to you your doing the right thing moving away , I have friends who have already moved back from retirement havens all over country some were very healthy but had trouble driving they don’t regret it at all , I’ve lived all over the world and have been in Florida for many years but my home will always be Boston
Charlie, thank you. We are from the suburbs of Boston. I am very fortunate, my husband and I have two great sons who have both offered to build on their homes for us and one of the is starting the project now. We intend to stay through the winter and leave in spring. In the meantime I am learning how to live with a disability and rely on cabs and Caring Neighbors who have been very giving of their time.

Let this be a warning to everyone who thinks it cannot happen to them. My husband was fine one day and in the hospital the next, and he was there for 16 days while they were trying to diagnose his problem. I was fortunate to have a granddaughter who flew in to help me for a week, but she had to get back to her family, It was a perfect storm, at the time my husband was admitted my oldest son was having a major back surgery at The Baptist in Boston, my other son and his wife got Covid and one of my Grandson's family came down with Covid brought home from school! Everything imploded at the same time. It is a living nightmare.

This too shall pass and it will have been just a blimp in the road of life.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
Why do people keep saying Uber is a nonfactor here? Have you ever even tried to get Uber here or are you just repeating what somebody else said here.

I use Uber daily in and around TV and never had problems getting Uber before 10 PM.
Yes, I tried to get an Uber yesterday. There was no one in the area, this was around 11am.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:51 AM

Next Door is a good suggestion. My church offers a volunteer transportation service for parishioners. Check your church, as they may be able to help. What village do you live in?

Tags
transportation, range, finding, local, plenty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.