Transporting car from VA

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 01:27 PM
Default Transporting car from VA

We plan on having a sedan transported from northern VA to TV. We want to pack the trunk with clothes & whatever else fits in it.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2021, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
We plan on having a sedan transported from northern VA to TV. We want to pack the trunk with clothes & whatever else fits in it.

Thanks!
Make sure you let your transporter know that you want to pack stuff in your car. It may cost extra and it may not even be allowed. When the transporter picks up your car they probably will check to see if anything is packed in it.

Auto Train lets you pack anything you want in your car, even up to the roof. It leaves from VA and ends up in Sanford FL. It an overnight ride on the train from VA to FL.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Can you take Amtraks Car Train?
Quote:

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2021, 03:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The Amtrack suggestion seems like a very good one if you will be in VA.
If you hire s firm make sure you are dealing with the actual carrier and not a broker.
By the way I think you need a car to ride on the car train so if a friend will be driving the car down they might have to go back on a different train but this should not be a problem.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Auto Train lets you pack anything you want in your car, even up to the roof. It leaves from VA and ends up in Sanford FL. It an overnight ride on the train from VA to FL.
We lived in Fairfax County, VA.

We left our furniture and most boxes with a mover, packed the stuff we would need in our cars, and took the Auto Train to Sanford. It was very enjoyable.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:43 PM

I moved from VA last summer. I used Horseless Carriage. Very good company. Totally covered and out of the elements. Not on an open car carrier. You schedule a pick-up time and they come to you - on time. I drove down in my other car and they would have beaten me, so I left the car with my son and they picked it up at his house. The car was here 2 days later.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

5 transport companies we contacted, paperwork stated no person items inside of car or trunk.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:40 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

How much?
Old 06-18-2021, 04:48 AM

The last time I was going to have my car transported, the carrier would not allow items in the vehicle.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:17 AM
Default Autotrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The Amtrack suggestion seems like a very good one if you will be in VA.
If you hire s firm make sure you are dealing with the actual carrier and not a broker.
By the way I think you need a car to ride on the car train so if a friend will be driving the car down they might have to go back on a different train but this should not be a problem.
You can ride w/o a car.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:33 AM

I have shipped my vehicle back and forth between the New England and TV a few times, with different carriers. As I understand it, carriers have two concerns:
1) Liability for lost, stolen or missing personal property
2) Weight.
So, officially, their position is: NO personal property in the vehicle. Unofficially, they verbally have told me that it is not a problem, but keep contents concealed. As a minimum, I have filled and covered the contents in the trunk, and covered contents on the back seat floor. One time I stretched the limit and packed the whole SUV and covered everything in a way that it could not be easily uncovered.
I have not had a problem and the covers have never been disturbed. I should note, I do not put ‘valuables’, especially small ones, in the car. Keep in mind, handlers are in and out of the car multiple times. Most carriers up north collect cars in small trucks and transport them to a secure parking lot for a day or 2 before loading them onto a car carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FE1B37D7-E92F-44DD-BA9C-A6AE45BD0260.jpeg
Views:	2626
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	89874  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:35 AM

From your message I am not sure what u r looking for, bug if you need a means of transport I would strongly recommend The Online Shipping Marketplace they have been great in the past.
Uship holds your money until you release it at the delivery point.
Many of them have insurance for you or you can buy it from uship.
You can see the record and equipment, choose what you like.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

I've done that several times with cars and I've never been checked in the trunk because they really don't care cuz it's all brokers that do the arranging. As for the Auto train I'll give you the biggest tip of all. Booked it early and make sure you check what that you're a senior cuz you get a much cheaper rate. Please note also you can pay for a priority loading and unloading because otherwise you may be sitting there for an extra hour till they get to your car
Old 06-18-2021, 05:51 AM

I think the Amtrak auto train is a good option for you since your in northern Va. I’ve considered using it myself.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 AM
Default Vehicle transport

Quote:

Thanks!
Just did it this week. Contact luke@youflywedrive.net. 5 stars. Professional, affordable, dependable. Price is all inclusive. Picked up the car in Roanoke airport, drove it to our door on TV. 317-228-7808
Closed Thread

Tags
transporting, trunk, recommendations, suggestions, fits

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.