Trash Option

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

If my old faulty memory is working, I believe on my last utility bill the charge for garbage service was $19 and some change. Where we lived prior to TV, garbage service was once a week and cost $25 - $25 a month depending on the contractor. There were also county operated "dump stations" where you could take garbage for free but in summer months the odor and flies were unbelievable. Can you imagine the odor and pests that would be generated by a dumpster at the mail stations? If $20 is causing a personal financial crisis, maybe TV isn't the place to live. If TV did something like suggested you wouldn't be able to give a home away here. Was this serious suggestion or a late April Fool's day joke?
Old 08-27-2019, 02:19 PM

How much money will this insane idea save the average resident? Is it worth it to haul trash to the local dump/mailbox then have a dip in the pool next to the overwhelming stench of a dumpster? Are there that many people who can't afford a few dollars a month to live under sanitary conditions? Eating at home once a month will more than make up the cost.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM
Default Dumpsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyseitz View Post
Most people get their mail everyday. Many by golf cart. Why not put dumpsters at the postal stations? Empty these dumpsters daily. This would reduce labor, fuel, and manpower.
I’m sure this would reduce our trash bill.
What say you?
Thanks for your idea and trying to reduce cost. I used to live in a community with dumpster dropoffs. Unfortunately people would either miss the recepticle or they would leave larger objects on the outside. Then the contractors that did not live in our community would dump waste from their jobs such as shingles, wood, etc. Throw in the rodent issue, and I did not look forward to a trip to the dumpsters.
Maybe education on reducing waste and recycling would help.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:25 AM

Not in favor of community dumpsters for many of the reasons already stated. Also, there are those who are not physically able to open dumpsters and lift trash in.
My suggestion is to take a look at going to once a week collection. Trash receptacles would have to be kept in garages of course.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Did anyone from official sources actually suggested reducing our garbage service? I missed it if they had.
I assume the answer is no because the amount of saving would be insignificant to the homeowner unless they would suggest firing half the work force. In my instance, if they cut my cost by 50% that would save $8.75 per month.....and create a decision, what to do with that windfall? My cost here is significantly less then I paid for private haulers in PA. Still can't understand why we have these discussions over pocket change when there are bigger issues that need some intelligent discussions.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I assume the answer is no because the amount of saving would be insignificant to the homeowner unless they would suggest firing half the work force. In my instance, if they cut my cost by 50% that would save $8.75 per month.....and create a decision, what to do with that windfall? My cost here is significantly less then I paid for private haulers in PA. Still can't understand why we have these discussions over pocket change when there are bigger issues that need some intelligent discussions.
Well stated. This is why I'm thankful that a build out is far away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
reduce, dumpsters, trash, labor, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.