Trash Option

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2019, 10:00 PM
Default Trash Option

Most people get their mail everyday. Many by golf cart. Why not put dumpsters at the postal stations? Empty these dumpsters daily. This would reduce labor, fuel, and manpower.
I’m sure this would reduce our trash bill.
What say you?
Old 08-23-2019, 11:45 PM
Platinum member

There are trash receptacles at our mail station to deposit junk mail and such and regularly emptied. We also have numerous barrels for can recycling. I would think all the mail stations would have these.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
There are trash receptacles at our mail station to deposit junk mail and such and regularly emptied. We also have numerous barrels for can recycling. I would think all the mail stations would have these.
Oh, I’m not talking trash receptacles. I’m talking dumpsters. No more curbside pick-up. Take your trash to the postal station when you get your mail. Dumpsters will be emptied daily. One employee, one truck. I think it would be a huge cost savings for the trash company.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I don't know that collection is the major cost of dealing with trash - maybe.

But, I am well aware of dumpsters. Where we live currently we drive to a "collection site" with dumpsters and I can see no way that site can be anything other than an eye sore. Second, people are in general slobs. There are always piles of garbage that "miss" the dumpsters. Even with a full time employee policing the site it is still a mess. It is such a problem they recently had to put up a security fence to close it off after hours and put up large signs indicating dumping on the ground would be prosecuted.

A good idea, but people are slobs and in practice it would be hard to make it blend in with the esthetics of TV.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

I don't know what most people do, but I sure don't travel to the postal station every day to pick up junk mail.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what most people do, but I sure don't travel to the postal station every day to pick up junk mail.
I'm with you!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

What about all the monthly renters who don't ever go to the postal station?
Old 08-24-2019, 05:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I don't know that collection is the major cost of dealing with trash
Yes, I suspect that it is the processing that racks up the cost.

The best way to reduce that is to reduce the amount of trash we produce. Everything seems to be wrapped, double-wrapped then triple-wrapped "for our convenience" but it's all adding to your monthly trash bill (not to mention adding to the initial cost of the item being purchased).

Most people won't want to be bothered with changing their habits but, with very little effort, you can find ways to reduce packaging and other trash.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Yes, I suspect that it is the processing that racks up the cost.

The best way to reduce that is to reduce the amount of trash we produce. Everything seems to be wrapped, double-wrapped then triple-wrapped "for our convenience" but it's all adding to your monthly trash bill (not to mention adding to the initial cost of the item being purchased).

Most people won't want to be bothered with changing their habits but, with very little effort, you can find ways to reduce packaging and other trash.
I agree even small changes in habits can add up to big savings on trash.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:56 AM

If this happens I won't know what to do with myself at 5 in the morning on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm certainly not going for a golf cart ride then.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

NO!!!!!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
I don't know that collection is the major cost of dealing with trash - maybe.

But, I am well aware of dumpsters. Where we live currently we drive to a "collection site" with dumpsters and I can see no way that site can be anything other than an eye sore. Second, people are in general slobs. There are always piles of garbage that "miss" the dumpsters. Even with a full time employee policing the site it is still a mess. It is such a problem they recently had to put up a security fence to close it off after hours and put up large signs indicating dumping on the ground would be prosecuted.

A good idea, but people are slobs and in practice it would be hard to make it blend in with the esthetics of TV.
Dumpsters would really be gross. Always smell, especially in warm weather. Flies, rats, stray animals, etc. They are just gross!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:15 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
I agree even small changes in habits can add up to big savings on trash.
For those that use computers and still receive paper statements from The District office that contain monthly water, sewer, trash and amenity bills, please consider signing up for E-Billing.

Village Community Development Districts

By doing so, all of the information pertaining to your monthly bill will be emailed to the email you provide. You always have access to these records by returning to the districtgov.org to see the details and a complete history of your bills.

I am told by district staff that only about 15% of Villagers use E-Billing and that it costs around $9,000 per month to send out paper statements. So, save paper and help your Village District government save money by signing up for E-Billing. It's so easy to do!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyseitz View Post
Oh, I’m not talking trash receptacles. I’m talking dumpsters. No more curbside pick-up. Take your trash to the postal station when you get your mail. Dumpsters will be emptied daily. One employee, one truck. I think it would be a huge cost savings for the trash company.
If every resident brought their trash to the Postal Station everyday do you realize what size dumpster you would need? Besides that the mess,smell, rodents etc. you would have. And then there's the weekend trash.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
For those that use computers and still receive paper statements from The District office that contain monthly water, sewer, trash and amenity bills, please consider signing up for E-Billing.

By doing so, all of the information pertaining to your monthly bill will be emailed to the email you provide. You always have access to these records by returning to the districtgov.org to see the details and a complete history of your bills.

I am told by district staff that only about 15% of Villagers use E-Billing and that it costs around $9,000 per month to send out paper statements. So, save paper and help your Village District government save money by signing up for E-Billing. It's so easy to do!
Good reminder, easy enough to do.

Tags
reduce, dumpsters, trash, labor, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.