Veteran member

Been working fine for years.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Been working fine for years.
Seems to have been, there is this saying about "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".
Old 08-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

[QUOTE=tophcfa;1675682]I would like to have a "pay for the trash you generate" option rather than a fixed monthly cost. It's not really fair to part time residents to pay for trash removal for long periods of time when you are not there![/QUO

Another layer of admin costs and software and probably hardware will be added. Part of the deal when part timers decided to own here....if it doesn't meet needs, why do they buy?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyseitz View Post
Most people get their mail everyday. Many by golf cart. Why not put dumpsters at the postal stations? Empty these dumpsters daily. This would reduce labor, fuel, and manpower.
I’m sure this would reduce our trash bill.
What say you?
You are talking about old people hoisting bags of trash up into a dumpster, correct? Riiiiiiiight.....
Old 08-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
You are talking about old people hoisting bags of trash up into a dumpster, correct? Riiiiiiiight.....
What you callin old kimosabe?
(Sorry could not pass it up.)
Old 08-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What you callin old kimosabe?
(Sorry could not pass it up.)
Only 66 years young here..... Lots of older farts out there.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
😎
Old 08-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
And they will kick your fanny for pointing it out! lol
Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

[QUOTE=JoMar;1675767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I would like to have a "pay for the trash you generate" option rather than a fixed monthly cost. It's not really fair to part time residents to pay for trash removal for long periods of time when you are not there![/QUO

Another layer of admin costs and software and probably hardware will be added. Part of the deal when part timers decided to own here....if it doesn't meet needs, why do they buy?
It's only not fair if you didn't know before you purchased. If you didn't pay while not here the rates would go up to the point that you would be paying at least the same annual cost.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
I would like to have a "pay for the trash you generate" option rather than a fixed monthly cost. It's not really fair to part time residents to pay for trash removal for long periods of time when you are not there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I was well aware of the trash policy when we bought, and gladly bought anyways. I was not aware that I was not supposed to voice my opinion about it on a thread titled "Trash Option" which was discussing other possible ways to deal with trash removal options??? If I can't do that without getting criticism, then why bother to post on TOV???

And as an added benefit to my proposal of paying for the trash that a household generates, rather than a fixed monthly cost, is that it could yield positive environmental benefits. Think about it, what financial incentive does one have to minimize the trash they generate when they pay a fixed rate regardless of how much trash they put out twice a week. If people had to pay by the bag of trash they generate, they would have a real financial incentive to minimize the trash they produce.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

[QUOTE=vintageogauge;1675836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post

It's only not fair if you didn't know before you purchased. If you didn't pay while not here the rates would go up to the point that you would be paying at least the same annual cost.
No, if part time residents did not pay while they were not at the Villages, then they would not be subsidizing the trash fees of the full time residents, significantly increasing their costs.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
NO!!!!!
Let me second that.......HELL NO!!!!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,372 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
I was well aware of the trash policy when we bought, and gladly bought anyways. I was not aware that I was not supposed to voice my opinion about it on a thread titled "Trash Option" which was discussing other possible ways to deal with trash removal options??? If I can't do that without getting criticism, then why bother to post on TOV???

And as an added benefit to my proposal of paying for the trash that a household generates, rather than a fixed monthly cost, is that it could yield positive environmental benefits. Think about it, what financial incentive does one have to minimize the trash they generate when they pay a fixed rate regardless of how much trash they put out twice a week. If people had to pay by the bag of trash they generate, they would have a real financial incentive to minimize the trash they produce.
1. welcome to my world, with regards to posting on-topic opinions.

2. the glitch in your idea is that it costs the same amount of money for a truck to pick up 4 pounds of trash from your house as it does to pick up 1/4 pound of trash from your house. The cost to do business from the location where the truck started out, to the location where he empties his truck, is the same no matter what. So that means if people aren't paying anything because they're not home, everyone else has to absorb that cost.

The route doesn't change, and they still have to go slowly, using the same amount of gas, labor, man-hours, etc.

Think of it from the reverse perspective: making you pay a share, is incentive for you to not spend months away from the house. You're paying to be there!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:48 AM

Actually your logic is a bit over-simplified. It takes less effort and time to, for example, collect 1 bag instead of 2 or a small bag instead of a large bag. Smaller volumes would also reduce the number of runs to the disposal site the truck has to make each day. Reducing the total volume received at the disposal sites would also reduce impact and cost. Encouraging customers to reduce their trash volume would be a win-win proposition and monetary encouragement is the most easily understood and appreciated.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyseitz View Post
Most people get their mail everyday. Many by golf cart. Why not put dumpsters at the postal stations? Empty these dumpsters daily. This would reduce labor, fuel, and manpower.
I’m sure this would reduce our trash bill.
What say you?
Write the check! The Villages knows what they want to do. They are just putting us through the paces.
Closed Thread

Tags
reduce, dumpsters, trash, labor, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.