Trash Option

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Good idea but you can bet some people will have 2 or more blocks to haul their trash there & you can bet they aren’t going to like doing that.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

I find it amazing to think that if garbage is picked up less often, we will produce less garbage. With that thought if we don’t have any pick ups we will not produce any garbage at all. My city up north thinks so, we of course, don’t have any less garbage... who buys stuff just to produce garbage? But we have a lot of irritated people and some happy raccoons and other pests and dumping.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyseitz View Post
Oh, I’m not talking trash receptacles. I’m talking dumpsters. No more curbside pick-up. Take your trash to the postal station when you get your mail. Dumpsters will be emptied daily. One employee, one truck. I think it would be a huge cost savings for the trash company.
Yes one employee & how many lose their jobs? Good idea but don’t think this will fly with Waste Management.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:36 AM

No I think that is a bad idea since the pools are right there and sitting outside you can smell the garbage and also it would look disgusting. I am quite satisfied leaving the trash system the way it is.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM

I agree with you 100%. Also, people would be dumping their electronics and everything else under the sun in these dumpsters, both Villagers and outsiders.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

Yes, I am impressed with TV’s garbage service as it is, myself.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 930 Posts

I'm not sure what it takes before something is declared a bad idea, but it appears we have not yet reached it.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM

I don't think that we should all have to haul our trash to a central location unless our trash costs go down. However, I do believe that at a minimum, there really should be a recycling container for paper only at the post office areas for our convenience . I also think that we should be allowed to put our trash into a trash bin with lid so that the crows, that are as big as pigeons in my neighborhood, can not ravish our trash bags open when we bring them to the street to be picked up. I have to sprinkle ammonia on my bags to keep the pigeon size crows away..It works!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspiva View Post
I don't think that we should all have to haul our trash to a central location unless our trash costs go down. However, I do believe that at a minimum, there really should be a recycling container for paper only at the post office areas for our convenience . I also think that we should be allowed to put our trash into a trash bin with lid so that the crows, that are as big as pigeons in my neighborhood, can not ravish our trash bags open when we bring them to the street to be picked up. I have to sprinkle ammonia on my bags to keep the pigeon size crows away..It works!
Problem solved.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I'm not sure what it takes before something is declared a bad idea, but it appears we have not yet reached it.
There are apparently still many ways to say the same thing........
Old 08-26-2019, 10:30 AM

Multiple dumpsters at the mail stations is the absolute worse idea I can imagine for handling our trash. Northern Wisconsin, for example, has "collection sites" where residents have to transport their trash to dumpsters and it is a horrible blight to the otherwise attractive area. Some residents there even find it entertaining to go watch the wildlife grazing there at night. Forget it!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The positive of dumpster is if you are leaving on a non trash day you have someplace to put your trash on the way out. $18 should not break the bank and to make the change might lower the fee to $14-15 dollars as you have to figure in the rental charges etc. I know the campground we stay at pays $500 per truck visit so it would add up over time. The you add in the smell next to the pool and the mess a dumpster brings and I don’t think it will fly. I don’t might taking a cart ride to throw out trash but the location is not good.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Just a question for those that live part time or lived in a city, town, community that the municipality provides utilities. When you leave or left for any amount of time could you suspend utilities and not pay for the time you were gone? Never lived anywhere where they will let you suspend any utilities for anything. You could shut them off but then there was a reconnect fee. Even when not there and no garbage or water use there was still a charge. Why would it be any different here?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

The most practical approach for lowering the cost is to put the contract out to bid when it next comes up for renewal. That said, I suspect that there might not be a lot of difference between the contractors that are able to handle a client like TV. There are a number of considerations to address with this suggestion. First, there would be a additional cost for the dumpsters you are suggesting be placed near the postal stations, there would be a cost associated with preparing the site and for the routine servicing of them (so a cost analysis would need to be done and at best I suspect it would come out as breakeven). Scheduling when the trash is removed would be another logistical hurdle. It would certainly be disruptive to have a trash removal truck show up when we're all jockeying for a parking spot to pick up our mail, and surely the abutting neighbors wouldn't want to be awoken early in the morning or late in the evening by these trucks. Secondly, placing dumpsters at the postal stations/pool areas would result in an unpleasant odor in this climate and become an attraction for the critters that roam about during the day and night. Lastly I'm certain that anyone that owned a home that abutted any of the postal/pool areas would organize a protest. Let's let this one go.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
You really think people are going to drive to TV just to dump their trash?
Oh yes they might. Don't you remember all the service trucks and other people dumping their trash on Villages property during Hurricane Irma?? It happened all over town.

Last edited by rmd2; 08-26-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
reduce, dumpsters, trash, labor, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.