Trash Option

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Years back when we were 'snow birds' in Ft Lauderdale we would receive a 1 month break on the trash pickup fee for the 7 months that we were north...that stopped about 10 years ago.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Dumping, in some poor areas of the world people dump their trash across the street, in school yards, church yards. Desperation drives people.

In my city you have to pay for utilities whether you use them or not. As a snowbird in TV right now, it would be nice to pay seasonally, but that would drive up the price for everyone.

Garbage cans, in my opinion, look ugly and are noisy.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Where we live up north there is no trash pick up unless the homeowner hires a private service. We bring our trash to a transfer station as needed and pay by the bag. The transfer station also takes recyclables if sorted (paper, plastic, glass, and metal) for free which gives people a financial incentive to recycle rather than paying to fill trash bags with recyclable items. They also take used motor oil for free since they use it to heat in the colder months. I pass the transfer station almost daily on my way to the YMCA so it is very convenient.

When we are at our Villages home we never pay a penny for trash removal, which is how it should be when we not generating any waste.

The only problem with paying by the bag is that in the country, where we live up north, many people burn their trash because that costs them nothing. We have a neighbor who does this and when the wind is blowing toward our home sometimes the smell is nasty. Not to mention how bad it is for the environment.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

What's next? How about a thread on Burn Barrels. No just joking.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM

As a frequent annual renter, I would not want to drag the trash to the local postal station and be required to deal with the sloppiness of other folks...we've all seen what the area around dumpsters looks like. The same folks that never return carts to the corral and never rake sand traps would be tossing bags anywhere in the vicinity of the dumpsters.

Honestly, I cannot believe how The Villages gets away with just throwing the trash curbside in plastic bags without bins. We've rented in the Orlando area many times, and have seen the local critters and turkey vultures literally knock the plastic bins over to get at the food scraps on garbage day tearing into the trash making a mess...they had to go to large totes to mitigate this problem. In spite of this, I cannot remember ever seeing the trash bags torn open by critters in The Villages...must be they don't have gate passes and IDs.

Another issue that always surprises me is the fact that the owners never have sufficient trash barrels and trash bags in their homes for renters. I realize renters are responsible for consumables like trash bags, and I always purchase them. However, the owners of these beautiful homes are the ones that lose when renters just dump bags on the floors inviting vermin to feast.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage

I can just see the handicapped and really elderly people trying to drag their thrash....

While we were in TV we saw not one vermin.... seriously... but in the city up north where we have every kind of cans available: garbage, recycling, food bins etc there are regular parties of raccoons I counted 12 last night, 5 skunks, a couple of Norway rats in my tiny backyard which is located in one of the best residential areas. I can imagine what the other areas must be like. TV is doing so much better!

Last edited by Velvet; 08-26-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Default JW

Have garage pickup once a week to cut cost
Old 08-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There is a fixed cost for each hour a Garbage Truck is moving. For the life of me, I don't understand why the Truck goes down one side of the road and later in the day comes back to finish the other side of the road. Double the mileage double the fuel and double the wear and tear. Instant cost savings, do both sides of the road in one swipe.

Forget about the delivery of garbage to any centralized site. No Way!!! No How!! Crazy Idea!!!

People will come from all over the place to use unsupervised dumpsters to rid themselves of construction debris. Imagine the Tree Debris in the dumpster instead of just garbage. Instead of paying per load at the dump lets go to The Villages for the free dumpster usage. There would be the biggest uprising in the history of The Villages if we had to make a garbage delivery. I like ideas that are out of the box. This idea is outta this world. Forget It! No disrespect intended to the OP!

Once a week would be acceptable for us if needed. I think the price we pay per year is very reasonable.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:17 PM

I unfortunately agree that "people" are slobs. My workdays included MDs and PHDs, who couldn't seem to find the trash can in the men's room. Saving 💰 always a good idea, but efforts must be tempered with practicality.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 PM

Considering the price of the trash collection I think trying to second guess how to save money on trash collection is an effort that would be better spent on something with a higher potential savings.

Where we are now it is $10/month to drive 10 miles and throw our trash in a dumpster. I will gladly pay the fee at TV to have it picked up at my curbside.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I feel the price is fine and I am happy with twice a week.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 PM

I think that is a splendid idea! I currently dump my trash/garbage and yard waste at the Lake County (I live in Pine Ridge) Convenience Center off of Rolling Acres on Tuesday/Saturday. This is because I get weary of the color coded bags; one day trash/yard waste/recycle protocols. I realize my approach is not for everybody. I would welcome taking the shorter drive to the mail drop off/pick up area.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:47 PM

You are joking, right? My collection is 50 cents a day. Put a dumpster out which looks like crap , smells and attracts animals so I can transport my trash and recycling by car or golf cart? Give me a break.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyseitz View Post
Oh, I’m not talking trash receptacles. I’m talking dumpsters. No more curbside pick-up. Take your trash to the postal station when you get your mail. Dumpsters will be emptied daily. One employee, one truck. I think it would be a huge cost savings for the trash company.
That is a terrible idea!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Sage

Dumping trash in bins sounds like what we do at camp, not in a civilized area.
Closed Thread

Tags
reduce, dumpsters, trash, labor, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.